BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #133
fusion01
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus ST: 2.5l /5 cyl

Garage List
Working from home, my 135i is only used on weekends for mad, spirited runs wherever there are mountain passes, so I don't need an auto to alleviate burdens of clutch and gearing in traffic. And I really don't need a computer interfacing with my drive, so have always chosen manual cars. I like to change gears when I consider it appropriate and get a hoot about a crisp, tight gear change when belting it into a corner, muti-tasking within the moment. I have never driven a DCT but it's most likely fantastic. However as someone who didn't buy their 135i new - and with 20,000 km's left on the warranty, I really don't need the additional stress factor of a DCT failing on me when out of it. But as others have said, each to their own and the technologies have come a long way. It's more about your driving style (do drivers opting for manual tranny's nail their cars harder?) and general environmental factors.
135i M-Sport: 240kw & 480nm ATW / 6MT / AW / SR / HK Logic 7 / iDrive / Lumbar Support & Seat Heating / BMW Perf Exhaust, Side Skirts, Grilles, Rotors & Gear Knob / CF Mirrors & Boot Spoiler / gunmetal CSL Reps
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #134
fusion01
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus ST: 2.5l /5 cyl

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylarax View Post
My apologies for any confusion, I will re-write it more clearly.
Also, I would guess most people have made their choice before they even go for a test drive. This is why you don't see many DCT drivers being confused by their transmission's shifting. What you do see is MT drivers reporting about their test driving a DCT, and being confused by the shifting. They(MT who hates DCT) don't plan on liking the transmission, and they need reasons to not like it.
Really, I feel like a lot of this "confusion" is people needing a reason to not like the transmission. I think the same can be true of people who wanted to buy a DCT but felt like they should test the MT. You will hear "I didn't like the feel of the clutch", "the shifter was too 'notchy', blah blah. Maybe this is all the ramblings of someone who hasn't been confused by the DCT yet and is baffled as to how anyone could be.

To answer the other question Why does DCTD(DCT driver) seem defensive?
I bet its because MTDs (MT driver) assume they don't know how to driver a manual and that makes them lesser human beings. We have already seen those comments in this thread. It is also a part of labeling, DCTDs want to be labeled as such, MTDs are scared of no longer having the 95% superior transmission, so in a panic they call DCTDs automatic drivers. DCTDs lash back and how stupid MTDs must be to not realize the differences, MTDs act like they aren't big differences, DCTDs feel like they have to then prove themselves, by yelling back about performance, and how it(the DCT) is smarter than you(the MT driver). Read through the whole thread though, look at how many posts look defensive, you will find it goes both ways.

My favorite part is how defensive members of MTD think DCTD is lazy/stupid, but DCT is fast and a cool toy and defensive members of DCTD think MTD is stupid/ignorant and that MT is distracting (for tracking), and a cool toy.
Jeez, all the acronyms and labeling in this post makes my head spin. It's a case of over-complicating things I reckon. Love your ride and be happy, whatever you chose
135i M-Sport: 240kw & 480nm ATW / 6MT / AW / SR / HK Logic 7 / iDrive / Lumbar Support & Seat Heating / BMW Perf Exhaust, Side Skirts, Grilles, Rotors & Gear Knob / CF Mirrors & Boot Spoiler / gunmetal CSL Reps
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #135
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 330i ZHP, N55 135i

I have an eyelash in my eye, which I prefer over this thread.

I predict that anyone who bought a car will be tired of it in 2-3 years, except for those who aren't.