BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-15-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Issues fitting performance wheel & rotors

Hi. I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Tim & I'm an addict. Feels like my first AA meeting... Though I've made several posts to this site this is my first thread.

Well part of my 135 turned up yesterday! The performance wheel I ordered from the US. The discs & other miscelaneous bits (luggage mat, blinds, lifting pads, coat hanger etc) shouldn't be far behind. The actual car is due in town on Oct 14 & delivery some time after that.

Being reasonably mechanically proficient, I'm wondering if it's worth trying to install the wheel & rotors myself when the car arrives. I may save on some installation charges & gain a sense of satisfaction but I'm also not sure what this may do to my warranty. I've read the simple, concise instructions posted by some of the guys in the US but have some reservations about fitting the wheel, in particular after reading on another Aus post the difficulties Swift135 & his dealer had with wires missing from his 135 steering column and re-programming needed for the computer(s). If I lived in Victoria I think I'd definitely be going to Andrew from SouthernBM for parts & fitting - but I don't. Did Andrew have the same issues or has anybody else had issues with their install/warranty?

Cheers,Tim.
      09-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
Jase
Private
Rep
Drives:

Hi Tim,

Good choice on the performance steering wheel. After driving swift's car I was very impressed by it ( what it can do)!!! It is very nice to hold also. This is also from a person that originally had about as much interest in a performance steering wheel as watching my arm hairs grow.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 01:09 AM   #3
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase View Post
Hi Tim,

Good choice on the performance steering wheel. After driving swift's car I was very impressed by it ( what it can do)!!! It is very nice to hold also. This is also from a person that originally had about as much interest in a performance steering wheel as watching my arm hairs grow.
Thanks Jase.
Yeah, I wasn't too interested originally but ended up getting a good deal on EBay and couldn't help myself. Do you know where Swift got his fitted? Nice colour choice BTW!
      09-16-2008, 01:51 AM   #4
Jase
Private
Rep
Drives:

Ahh swift, time to chime in..

He got it done at a dealership at Toowong I think he said. The head mechanic there use to work for BMW ( I think I recall him saying). The install is very neat so I would definately recommend going to the same place ( not to mention they have done it before).

I will definately be keeping my eyes open for a good deal on one also :eyebulge:.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 07:04 AM   #5
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Hi. I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Tim & I'm an addict. Feels like my first AA meeting... Though I've made several posts to this site this is my first thread.

Well part of my 135 turned up yesterday! The performance wheel I ordered from the US. The discs & other miscelaneous bits (luggage mat, blinds, lifting pads, coat hanger etc) shouldn't be far behind. The actual car is due in town on Oct 14 & delivery some time after that.

Being reasonably mechanically proficient, I'm wondering if it's worth trying to install the wheel & rotors myself when the car arrives. I may save on some installation charges & gain a sense of satisfaction but I'm also not sure what this may do to my warranty. I've read the simple, concise instructions posted by some of the guys in the US but have some reservations about fitting the wheel, in particular after reading on another Aus post the difficulties Swift135 & his dealer had with wires missing from his 135 steering column and re-programming needed for the computer(s). If I lived in Victoria I think I'd definitely be going to Andrew from SouthernBM for parts & fitting - but I don't. Did Andrew have the same issues or has anybody else had issues with their install/warranty?

Cheers,Tim.
No i didn't have any issues and did not need to program the car. Do not use the USA instructions and your off to a good start!

As always if you need me, give me a call.

I'll be installing another 2 in a couple of weeks.:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #6
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@southernBM View Post
No i didn't have any issues and did not need to program the car. Do not use the USA instructions and your off to a good start!

As always if you need me, give me a call.

I'll be installing another 2 in a couple of weeks.:thumbup:
Thanks Andrew. Great to see you support us, including those who don't even have the decency to buy through you! I might to source a SSK through you though.

There are no installation instruction with the wheel though (just operating instructions), so at the moment the instructions I've got from the guys in the US are all that I have. How hard can it be...

Cheers.
      09-17-2008, 03:58 AM   #7
Swift135
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d, M3 DCT E92

Tim, the guy that installed mine new what he was doing and the job was fine. The problem was that my Feb build car was not set up for plug N play for the wheel. From what I have heard all 135's March onwards build will accept the wheel with no issues. Rob at Trivett at Taringa installed it.
      09-17-2008, 07:01 AM   #8
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Thanks Andrew. Great to see you support us, including those who don't even have the decency to buy through you! I might to source a SSK through you though.

There are no installation instruction with the wheel though (just operating instructions), so at the moment the instructions I've got from the guys in the US are all that I have. How hard can it be...

Cheers.
Take a breath and sing out a loud, 'You can do it'

I'll email the Aus instructions when your ready. The pickups on the Control units vary, and we dont use the OBD plug to bypass, so go with the Aust version. just email me when your ready:headbang:
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 09:44 PM   #9
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift135 View Post
Tim, the guy that installed mine new what he was doing and the job was fine. The problem was that my Feb build car was not set up for plug N play for the wheel. From what I have heard all 135's March onwards build will accept the wheel with no issues. Rob at Trivett at Taringa installed it.
Thanks Swift. This makes me feel more confident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@southernBM View Post
Take a breath and sing out a loud, 'You can do it'

I'll email the Aus instructions when your ready. The pickups on the Control units vary, and we dont use the OBD plug to bypass, so go with the Aust version. just email me when your ready:headbang:
Probably best I don't sing.., but I'd really appreciate the Aust instructions. I've just emailed you.

Is there any issue with swapping the discs? I'll try & get hold of the factory manual for torque settings etc beforehand and swap the discs over before the standard pads bed into the standard discs. May even look at getting hold of good road/track pads beforehand. I run EBC greens on EBC disks with my E30 - though probably need at least reds as they're overheating at the track.

Thanks again Andrew!
      09-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #10
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift135 View Post
Thanks for letting me drive your car yesterday Swift. Awesome.:thumbup: After sitting in the passenger seat next to you when you drove, I can see where you got your name from!:eyebulge:
      09-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #11
Swift135
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d, M3 DCT E92

No worries Tim, just thought that you would appreciate a real world drive and a look at the colour (with dirt) and the performance wheel in action.:w00t: