BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Locking Storage Drawer In 135i Trunk?

I am going to come clean. I own two handguns. There it is. However, before you write me off as one of 'those guys,' you need to understand that the only thing I do with them is take them to the local range and shoot at paper targets. I am a pretty good shot and truly enjoy honing my skills as a marksman. I do not use my firearms for self defense or hunting. I never carry one on my person.

However, I would like to have a locking storage compartment in the trunk of my 135i Coupe to help ensure the security of my guns when I am transporting them. I did not find any posts on 1Addicts on this subject. But I have Googled-up some pictures of locking security drawers that mount inside the trunk under the rear deck. Unfortunately, they are model-specific for certain Jaguar and Acura models. Also, I found that there are companies (Havis and others) that offer equipment for larger cars, e.g., Crown Victoria to outfit them as law enforcement vehicles. They offer locking drawers and side mount boxes, but unfortunately, I cannot find anything like this to fit my car.

I thought I would ask for ideas before I just run out to the local big box sporting goods store to buy a couple of chintzy locking boxes and screw them into the bottom of my rear deck. So... how about it... any ideas?

Thanks!!

So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Can't you get a custom one made?
      12-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

You could so put a stash box under your drivers side seat mang. Gotta keep the heater handy for when ish pops off.
      12-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
blf1
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

You could just double lock your trunk using the switch in your glovebox and then lock the glovebox. This will make it impossible to get in to your trunk until you unlock the glovebox and flpip the switch in the glovebox.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blf1 View Post
You could just double lock your trunk using the switch in your glovebox and then lock the glovebox. This will make it impossible to get in to your trunk until you unlock the glovebox and flpip the switch in the glovebox.
My 135i doesn't have a glove box lock I'm guessing US spec ones do?
      12-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blf1 View Post
Not bad. Think I will keep this as Plan B. Thanks!
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
BimmerE82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Sport package

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [7.00]
Ebay has quite a few choices. I found one that has a combo push button style lock with a key for double protection. They mount in your cars trunk or wherever you have the space. Just search for Gun car safe and something should magically appear. Happy shopping!
      12-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Why don't you just get a concealed carry license and keep them in your glove box so you can get to them when you might need them.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboworld View Post
Why don't you just get a concealed carry license and keep them in your glove box so you can get to them when you might need them.
I appreciate your advice. However, I have no interest in having access to my guns when I am driving my car. I do not want them in the glove box, under the seat or between my legs. I want them to be securely locked in the trunk. This comes from a strong desire to keep my guns out of the hands of others... bad guys, children, misguided friends...everyone.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m7ammed View Post
Can't you get a custom one made?
I can only imagine what that might cost. Unfortunately, I do not live in Saudi Arabia. You must have more disposable income than me.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
I can only imagine what that might cost. Unfortunately, I do not live in Saudi Arabia. You must have more disposable income than me.
LOL thats the stereotype that everybody says about Saudis, very wrong to assume that
      01-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #12
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2014 Ford Escape Ti

OP don't appologize for enjoying shooting sports, there's nothing wrong with it. As far as transport I just use a locked gun case in the trunk. In my state you can only have handguns in the car when going to and from the range so there is never a time when I leave the car with them inside. I would imagine you could mount something to the shelf at the top of the trunk fairly easily.
Appreciate 0