BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

04-29-2009, 07:56 AM   #23
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSean View Post
Never have I ever met a dealership willing to overlook no cats on a car...ever.
This is definitely not going to be common, but there are people on E90post that have reported having a good enough relationship with their dealer to not have issues... Provided the car is in for general service (i.e. oil change) or something unrelated to the powertrain, it's quite possible they'd go unnoticed.

In most cases, I'd have to assume it would be in a person's best interest to remove the pipes OR remove the tune/O2 sim prior to a visit and hope for the best.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #24
twinturbo135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsherri View Post

In most cases, I'd have to assume it would be in a person's best interest to remove the pipes OR remove the tune/O2 sim prior to a visit and hope for the best.
this reason alone is what's making me think that installing DPs might not be worth the risk of warranty denial. after all, my JB3 can easily be removed if needed be, but removing cat less DPs at the spur of the moment would be a major pain.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #25
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo135i View Post
this reason alone is what's making me think that installing DPs might not be worth the risk of warranty denial. after all, my JB3 can easily be removed if needed be, but removing cat less DPs at the spur of the moment would be a major pain.
I don't disagree. It's the risk we take when modding. I wish I could tell you that the pros outweigh the cons, but the first time there's a major denial, obviously my opinion on the situation would be just a line of BS.

I guess if you decide to install them, just be smart about which type(s) of service you take the car in for while they're on the car...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #26
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

So you removed the cat pipes, and installed non cats. How can this not produce a CEL? Plus any mod like this would be illegal in California, and would be revealed if smog testing were done. You could always return to stock if need be, it that the plan?
      04-29-2009, 10:27 PM   #27
Mindgame
Poke Her Face
Rep
Drives: 09 135I

Sorry JT I meant opinions on the thermal coating (which is why I think it looks amazing)

Wasn't reffering to catless vs catted
I would imagine not having the cat there would obviously be more beneficial
      04-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #28
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
So you removed the cat pipes, and installed non cats. How can this not produce a CEL? Plus any mod like this would be illegal in California, and would be revealed if smog testing were done. You could always return to stock if need be, it that the plan?
These will most definitely produce a CEL unless you have O2 sims; however, it takes a while to chuck the code... So provided you're not too far from the dealer, it is possible to take it in without having the sim installed.

And yes, definitely not going to pass smog without cats. These aren't really street legal anywhere you go... Luckily we don't have to deal with smog tests here.

Depending on the reason for service, they would be removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgame View Post
Sorry JT I meant opinions on the thermal coating (which is why I think it looks amazing)

Wasn't reffering to catless vs catted
I would imagine not having the cat there would obviously be more beneficial
No worries... Regardless of whether you typed it wrong or I interpreted incorrectly, at least we're in agreement about the awesomeness of cp-e's products!
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread