BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #155
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

I just had my 255/35 pss mounted on the front with the revised fender liners. There might be some slight rubbing but I really can't tell. There looks like there is a tiny mark left on the right side after doing some testing but even if there is it is so small that it doesn't matter. It seems like they fit like the 245s did with the original liners. I am happy with the result.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #156
mojo_78613
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
I just had my 255/35 pss mounted on the front with the revised fender liners. There might be some slight rubbing but I really can't tell. There looks like there is a tiny mark left on the right side after doing some testing but even if there is it is so small that it doesn't matter. It seems like they fit like the 245s did with the original liners. I am happy with the result.
That's good to hear. Do you have any close up photos? Also I assume you mounted 275's in the rear.. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #157
Aetey
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Had mine replaced last week as well, havent paid a dime. No hassle whatsoever.

Luxembourg.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #158
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Went in to have the 2nd anniversary service performed this morning, and mentioned to the service advisor about this known issue. He ran a check and noted there was indeed a bulletin, and then contacted the on-site parts guy and discovered they had the new liners on hand, so the service was performed under the warranty.

The new liners with the stock tires passed the litmus test, which is backing up my moderately inclined driveway and turning full lock to the right for a short distance to access the 3rd bay in the garage.

No longer experiencing that obnoxious burned plastic aroma.

This had been my only gripe about the 1 M to date. So with nothing else to whine about this is now the perfect horseless carriage in my eyes and heart.

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #159
UNO///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW BMW 1M

Fields BMW will replace mine under warranty, it will take a week before they get the parts. I didn't notice any problems until I replace my tires with new PSS.
      12-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #160
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Got mine done under warranty yesterday. Took 3 days to get the parts in, but free of charge and painless otherwise. New does have a different profile/ more clearance.
      12-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #161
fluxin
Registered
Rep
Drives: looking

Any idea of the part number of the plastic piece is that connects to both fender liners and the front bumper (all the way on the bottom) It looks like an underbody cover and mine is cracked. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #162
Osbourne123
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetey View Post
Had mine replaced last week as well, havent paid a dime. No hassle whatsoever.

Luxembourg.
I think the heat of the engine had finally made the rubbing more prominent on my 1M that I started to notice and checked this problem out, I took mine to be checked in Luxembourg and they will replace (apparently they have donw two already), trouble is I'm just out of the 2 year warranty and so will have to pay.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #163
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Hi fellas,

Especially for the guys who bought these themselves rather than leaving it to a dealer fix it under warranty, here is my question:

Do I need to order any other minor hardware like a specific nut or a bolt together with

PN: 51718051591 and 51718051592

or not?

I am going to purchase them from getbmwparts.

Thanks in advance.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #164
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNO///M View Post
Fields BMW will replace mine under warranty, it will take a week before they get the parts. I didn't notice any problems until I replace my tires with new PSS.
My dealer denied any bulletin, said I'd have to pay myself. They (Motorwerks, Barrington, IL) of course, also screwed up on trans oil and denied problem until I got another dealer (Patrick) to change it. Wanted to stay with Motorwerks cause actually like my tech (not the rep!) and sales guy,but I am done with them now.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 06:05 PM   #165
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
My dealer denied any bulletin, said I'd have to pay myself. They (Motorwerks, Barrington, IL) of course, also screwed up on trans oil and denied problem until I got another dealer (Patrick) to change it. Wanted to stay with Motorwerks cause actually like my tech (not the rep!) and sales guy,but I am done with them now.
There's such a YMMV component to getting these liners replaced under warranty.
I called up my SA to inquire and he "found the service bulletin" ... I was surprised at the lack of hassle. WELL when I picked up the car they replaced the rear portion liners (front wheel well) rather than the front liners. It took a lot of persistent emailing and ultimately approval from the regional rep to get the fronts under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #166
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
There's such a YMMV component to getting these liners replaced under warranty.
I called up my SA to inquire and he "found the service bulletin" ... I was surprised at the lack of hassle. WELL when I picked up the car they replaced the rear portion liners (front wheel well) rather than the front liners. It took a lot of persistent emailing and ultimately approval from the regional rep to get the fronts under warranty.
It might be due to a naming issue that I've noticed in getbmwparts (Tischer) web site as well: when you go by category and select "fender liners" you end up with the rear part of the fender liner in the front wheel well; in that particular BMW dealer's site the correct parts (that we have the part numbers thanks to this thread) are named as "cover, wheel housing" and you can't even find them under overall fender topic, despite the fact that they are visible in the diagram of fender components.

Maybe it was the same issue you've encountered.

By the way, anyone knows what I asked in my previous post? Shall I order just these two pieces or some related hardware as well?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 05:41 AM   #167
UNO///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1
Quote:
Contact BMW USA maybe they can help.
      02-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #168
Aqua
Private
Taiwan
Rep

You don't need any other hardware parts. You can use the original fender liner nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Hi fellas,

Especially for the guys who bought these themselves rather than leaving it to a dealer fix it under warranty, here is my question:

Do I need to order any other minor hardware like a specific nut or a bolt together with

PN: 51718051591 and 51718051592

or not?

I am going to purchase them from getbmwparts.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #169
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
You don't need any other hardware parts. You can use the original fender liner nuts.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #170
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Contact BMW USA maybe they can help.
Thanks--good idea if can't get Patrick BMW to figure it out!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #171
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Got new fender liners at dealer under warranty yesterday along with oil change brake fluid etc. Love it when the invoice is $0...I did have to send them pics from this thread!! So thanks everyone !
e36 M3, e30 M3........

Last edited by Reedomn; 04-19-2014 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #172
Texas F1
1M Owner
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora 410, BMW 1M, Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post
Got new fender liners at dealer under warranty yesterday along with oil change brake fluid etc. Love it when the invoice is $0...I did have to send them pics from this thread!! So thanks everyone !
I have experienced the rubbing issue, so I contacted my dealer a few days ago and sent him a link to this thread. The reply was that he could find no specific bulletin from BMW and that they would have to see if they could duplicate the problem and then contact BMW for direction. So, does anyone have a link to the actual bulletin or did I miss it earlier in the thread?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #173
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas F1 View Post
I have experienced the rubbing issue, so I contacted my dealer a few days ago and sent him a link to this thread. The reply was that he could find no specific bulletin from BMW and that they would have to see if they could duplicate the problem and then contact BMW for direction. So, does anyone have a link to the actual bulletin or did I miss it earlier in the thread?
According to post no. 133 here, Puma number is 49636119-01

Did not work at my dealer here in Chile and I bought it myself from US but it might well be due to this dealer's competency level, so try it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #174
Texas F1
1M Owner
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora 410, BMW 1M, Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
According to post no. 133 here, Puma number is 49636119-01

Did not work at my dealer here in Chile and I bought it myself from US but it might well be due to this dealer's competency level, so try it.
Thanks! I'll give this a try.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #175
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Went in to have the 2nd anniversary service performed this morning, and mentioned to the service advisor about this known issue. He ran a check and noted there was indeed a bulletin, and then contacted the on-site parts guy and discovered they had the new liners on hand, so the service was performed under the warranty.

The new liners with the stock tires passed the litmus test, which is backing up my moderately inclined driveway and turning full lock to the right for a short distance to access the 3rd bay in the garage.

No longer experiencing that obnoxious burned plastic aroma.

This had been my only gripe about the 1 M to date. So with nothing else to whine about this is now the perfect horseless carriage in my eyes and heart.
I have now had two dealers (Patrick and Motorwerks, both Chicago burbs) deny the presence of a bulletin; also stated since rubbing was taking place with non-BMW wheels (same spec tho, including offset) and tires (Michelin Pilot winters in the specified 235/40 18's) that could not help...Do you have way of finding actual bulletin?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #176
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

There is no bulletin as far as I could research. Also my dealer said the PUMA number didn't matter either since that is something a specific dealer does to document a repair which isn't published network wide.
The bottom line is mine was rubbing with stock tires and because the part number hasn't changed I sent pics of the new "scalloped" liner to prove the change in design.

Good luck.
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0