Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Coupé (BSM)

Garage List
HPFP gremlin is back... engine light on & code P142E

hey guys,
yes the gremlin is back

Was driving today around 30km/h in 2nd gear when I decided to go WOT (no M button and all TC on) when suddenly the car had an instant power loss and the engine light came on with the message on the Idrive "engine malfunction - power loss, reduced power available bla bla".
Had been driving for the previous 30 min and the engine was warm at normal operating temperature (oil around 110°C).

When I pulled over the car was vibrating significantly, cooling fan was on at full speed and the engine was accelerating very slowly. (I guess limp mode?)

Turned off the engine, waited few seconds and turned the engine on again and everything was back to normal.

If I would go WOT again the same would happen.

Scanned with an OBD reader and got the following codes:
- P142E: no description but found on the WEB its "fuel low pressure in high pressure system - injection disabled to protect catalytic converter"
- P0303: cylinder 3 misfire
- P0306: cylinder 6 misfire
- P0302: cylinder 2 misfire
- P0300: random/multiple cylinder misfire

I'm bringing the car in for a check at the dealership first thing tomorrow but I guess that the answer would be the dreaded HPFP to be replaced
I thought they had fixed this on the N54 engines but apparently not.. Luckily the car is still under warranty.

PS: btw the car is 100% stock, checked the charge pipe but it feels properly connected and I can't see any cracks.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 02:59 AM   #2
Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Dropped the car off this morning at the dealer, let's see what it comes up
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 07:06 AM   #3
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i LeMans Blue/Terracota

Sounds like the high pressure pump for sure. Sorry to hear about the bad luck.

Im sure it'll be back to normal when it leaves.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Thanks man!

In the meanwhile I took the car back from the dealer today.
They replaced the spark plugs and done some tests on the igniters, plus oil change and various filters change which was due.
At first it seemed the problem was gone but after about 20 min drive I had the light on again...

So tomorrow back to the dealer, I will mention the fuel pump problem and let's see what they say
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #5
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Check also whether it's any of issues #5a, #5b, #5c or #7 of the 1M issues log sticky:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1

Good luck !
      11-19-2015, 04:47 AM   #6
Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Check also whether it's any of issues #5a, #5b, #5c or #7 of the 1M issues log sticky:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1

Good luck !
thank you Artemis!

I had a look at that list before posting, very helpful indeed!

Thing is that in my case the car is throwing a code (P142E) which seems to mean:
- low fuel pressure in high pressure system, cylinder cut-out... which would explain why then I got the misfire on those cylinders.

This error was confirmed by the dealer diagnosis, although with a different "name", I think 29F2 or 29DC but I'm not sure as he allowed me to only take a quick glance at the screen.

It is very similar to the knock sensor, from low rpm asking the engine for full power (pedal to the floor) as soon as the boost kicks in I felt the boost cutting out several times until the error message appeared.

When I pulled over the rpms were fluctuating, the engine was shaking as If it was running on less cylinders (later confirmed by the error codes) and the fan was on at full speed... clearly limp mode.

Switched off and on the car and the problem was gone, but it would happen every time I would try the same acceleration.

On the other hand, if I would accelerate smoothly it would go up until 6k rpm with no problems.

In addition to this when I start the car from cold there is an hesitation before it fires up, it doesn't crank for long, maybe 1/2 second or 1 second longer than usual but then I can hear at random intervals a noise which is as if someone would put something to block the exhaust for a split second... this then goes away after few minutes...

I would exclude the charge pipe as I couldn't read any codes related to boost pressure loss and because by looking at it everything seems fine, same as for the waste gate rattle as it quite distinctive noise and I cannot hear that...

Dealer has the car at the moment from last friday, I will give them a call today to see whats happening
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #7
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i LeMans Blue/Terracota

After reading this, I'm thinking the HPFP is not getting enough supply from the LPFP. Id say to look at the LPFP first.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #8
Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
just spoke with the dealer, it was indeed the HPFP. I'll pick up the car probably tomorrow.

I'll post more updates in the coming weeks

Thank you all for the advices!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #9
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Crazy that they didn't figure it out the first time.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #10
Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Crazy that they didn't figure it out the first time.
yeah I agree... although here in EU this problem is very uncommon compared to the US so it doesn't surprise me that it took them some time (even with me saying it was the HPFP).

Anyways I had the car for few days now and it's back as before so I'm very happy
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 11:43 AM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby_416 View Post
just spoke with the dealer, it was indeed the HPFP. I'll pick up the car probably tomorrow.

I'll post more updates in the coming weeks

Thank you all for the advices!
Did they also change the low fuel pressure sensor near the HPFP. Its on the feed line going into the HPFP. Its my understanding that this goes bad all the time and one should replace it when replacing the HPFP.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #12
Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Did they also change the low fuel pressure sensor near the HPFP. Its on the feed line going into the HPFP. Its my understanding that this goes bad all the time and one should replace it when replacing the HPFP.

Dackel

Not sure about that, I guess so if they followed the correct procedure?

Had a look into the engine bay and the new fuel pump looks new and shiny but didn't see any sensor (or better, I didn't look for any).

Do you have a pic of this feed line where the sensor is?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 11:59 AM   #13
Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
nevermind, I've found a pic... looks like is seated behind the black cable box and I'm not sure if I'll be able to see it... I'll phone the dealer about it.

pic taken from the HPFP DIY guide:
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby_416 View Post

Do you have a pic of this feed line where the sensor is?
Yep, that's the pic of it. Even in the US for the HPFP recall.. BMWNA does not cover this sensor, but I have seen many forum members post that their US dealers will install the sensor as long as the customer pays for it(~$100). Its just something to keep in mind. Seems like all of us here are becoming more of the "experts" than the guys servicing our cars.

Dackel
Appreciate 1