JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
PS... I'm in love with a stripper... (my BSM 1M..) and if you actually want an M2 stripper, I am sure you can find one..
ROFL. I realize at this time in a largely US forum highlighting that I loved this quote is like jumping into a lion cage naked and smothered in pig fat, but this is poetry. I am also in love with my stripper. My AW beast is as naked from the factory as they come. The only equipped options add zero weight.

In the immortal words of Johnny Storm, Flame On!
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #24
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM_UK View Post
My Golf is an '02 TDI 130.

Personally I don't so much agree with it being an unfair comparison. As a consumer, steering is steering. If Porsche and Toyota can manage decent feel with an electric rack BMW clearly need to either change their implementation or get some better engineers to fettle the existing one.
As has already been stated, and as I stated myself earlier, you can't compare somebody's hydraulic steering to somebody else's electric steering. Had BMW resisted changing over to EPS (which I'm sure would have been difficult under current laws), I have no doubt that hydraulic steering in the M2 would be far superior to the hydraulic steering in your Golf.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 03:04 AM   #25
Sam_M
Tea wot?
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 135i 6MT

I guess the point I'm making is that the average consumer doesn't care what happens between the steering wheel and the road wheel. They just know something is up when almost nothing about the road surface and wheel loading is being transmitted to them.

I agree that had the M2 and indeed all the M-Lite cars had hydraulic steering, it would have been much superior to the feel of my Golf and perhaps my RX-7, but the point is that it isn't superior.

We can agree to disagree on fair/unfair comparisons of hydraulics vs EPS, but the fact is that cars being sold with the moniker "ultimate driving machine" are being outdone in the driver feedback stakes by older tech whilst other manufacturers are excelling despite also having left that old tech behind.

BMW need to raise their game.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #26
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
Quote:
I guess the point I'm making is that the average consumer doesn't care what happens between the steering wheel and the road wheel. They just know something is up when almost nothing about the road surface and wheel loading is being transmitted to them.

I agree that had the M2 and indeed all the M-Lite cars had hydraulic steering, it would have been much superior to the feel of my Golf and perhaps my RX-7, but the point is that it isn't superior.

We can agree to disagree on fair/unfair comparisons of hydraulics vs EPS, but the fact is that cars being sold with the moniker "ultimate driving machine" are being outdone in the driver feedback stakes by older tech whilst other manufacturers are excelling despite also having left that old tech behind.

BMW need to raise their game.
RX-7 and 1M? I am not worthy. While I live in the relative car heaven of Tokyo my one car garage limits my obsession. Shucks. Good on ya.
      11-23-2017, 02:39 AM   #27
Sam_M
Tea wot?
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't have a 1M I'm afraid, maybe one day! I just saw the steering comments and had to chime in since it's my biggest bugbear about modern BMWs. Had I not been turned off the 240i by the steering I'd have bought one instead of my (now sold) E82.

The RX7 was one of the best cars I've ever owned. Amazing looks, analog feel, engaging, communicative and a great engine despite the horror stories!

Last edited by Sam_M; 11-23-2017 at 04:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 07:26 AM   #28
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
I don't have a 1M I'm afraid, maybe one day! I just saw the steering comments and had to chime in since it's my biggest bugbear about modern BMWs. Had I not been turned off the 240i by the steering I'd have bought one instead of my (now sold) E82.

The RX7 was one of the best cars I've ever owned. Amazing looks, analog feel, engaging, communicative and a great engine despite the horror stories!
I remember test driving a 2012 3-series and thinking "well, I guess no more BMWs for me". My 650GC had hydraulic steering and was wonderful (the reason I got it over the Audi S7), the M2s... ugh, not so much. But maybe if they keep updating it....

I wonder if anyone ever thought of keeping the hydraulic aspects and just running the pump via electric vs. engine power - probably not as efficient, but man, it would solve the steering feel issues!

and regarding a stripper 1M- no way - I need my iDrive! However the manual seats do sound nice.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #29
Sam_M
Tea wot?
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I remember test driving a 2012 3-series and thinking "well, I guess no more BMWs for me". My 650GC had hydraulic steering and was wonderful (the reason I got it over the Audi S7), the M2s... ugh, not so much. But maybe if they keep updating it....

I wonder if anyone ever thought of keeping the hydraulic aspects and just running the pump via electric vs. engine power - probably not as efficient, but man, it would solve the steering feel issues!

and regarding a stripper 1M- no way - I need my iDrive! However the manual seats do sound nice.
The look on the sales guys face when I told him I'd not be proceeding with an order was priceless.

"Why?"

"The steering. My face has more feeling in it after a visit to the dentist!"
Appreciate 1
JP-1M171.00