BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
xSegFaultx
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Curb Rash - Repair or Replace

I've got some very small curb rash on one of my stock 17" rims (not sport package).

Taking into account that I am very particular, would it be better to try and get it repaired or just replace the whole wheel?

Will I be able to notice a repair job?

How much does a replacement generally run with mounting and balancing?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSegFaultx View Post
I've got some very small curb rash on one of my stock 17" rims (not sport package).

Taking into account that I am very particular, would it be better to try and get it repaired or just replace the whole wheel?

Thanks!
Wheel shops will usually charge ~$150-250 to repair the wheel. Only some of them will mount/dismount the tire for you. Depending on what the shop charges, check with BMW to see how much a new wheel will cost.

If you are the VERY particular type, then I would say just buy a new OEM wheel. Sometimes the color match won't be exact when they re-finish wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
Jack (LA)
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSegFaultx View Post

Thanks!
If the damage is minor, contact the dealer..... most dealers have a relationship with a wheel repair vendor (same with a paint-less dent removal guy, bumper repainting, etc.) -- they do minor cosmetic repairs on site and are pretty good at matching color. Cost is typically less than $100 per wheel.