BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Derek8819
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Can't trust anyone these days!

So I did all my research before buying my 135i, it was not a CPO, but the price was right. I knew the car needed tires and based on the wear, I figured an alignment too. I researched all the BMW dealers in my area, Peake BMW in NOLA, and Brian Harris BMW in Baton Rouge. The reviews on google were steller for Brian Harris and Dismal for Peake, plus BH had a loaner car, easy decision. I booked my car for a 4 wheel alignment and 4 wheel tire mount and balance. I purchased the tires myself, because of the dealers outragous mark-up as usual.

I got the car back a day later with a $450 bill ($149 for the alignment and $179 for the mount and balance and a $20 per tire disposal fee since I did not buy the tires from them), the customer service was fine....unitl....

I got on the interstate and noticed the steering wheel was cocked 10-15deg to the left to drive straight, no pulling or wobbleing, just was crooked. I got the car home and proceded to check all the tires and of course the front right is on backwards, obvious because of the MOUNT THIS WAY ---> clearly showing the wrong way. I call up my service advisor and of course he defends the work.... "I saw the alignment myself, it was all perfect." I don't disagree the alignment is fine, but the alignment of the wheels to the steering wheel is not. He refused to put it back on the rack, says he saw it was right and doesnt want to waste his guys time. I ask him about how does he explain the tire??? He says it "Will not hurt being backwards" but if it bothers me to bring it in.....

Guys I really don't want any of these guys working on my car now. I have a 6yr warranty and a PPK sitting on my counter and I don't have anyone reputable to install this and fix the screw ups.....

What to do?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

That's an easy one. Call the Service Manager first, then the GM.
      01-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Derek8819
First Lieutenant
Rep

My SA at the dealer was the manager.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Redbmwm33
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw m9

Talk to the general manager and tell him your story.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 6MT, M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsoasis View Post
Talk to the general manager and tell him your story.
And if the general manager declines to make things right tell him you have no choice but to go to BMWUSA about how they're installing tires on backwards and not guaranteeing their work and that you'll need to post your experience on every automotive forum and social networking site you know, starting with 1ADDICTS, to protect others. Throw in making complaints to the BBB and local consumer protection agency as well.
      01-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Sounds like they screwed up the thrust angle, meaning the rear wheels are both turned to the right or left. The rear tow is probably fine, but the car is probably crabbing down the road.

When I got my M3 rear subframe bushings installed, this happened to me. The rear subframe had to come off, and things went back VERY different, and the whole rear alignment was very very off. The shop adjusted the rear tow so I could make it to the alignment shop safely, but both rear tires were steering in one direction, causing the car to crab severely.

The steering wheel was crooked, after a few miles the car threw a bunch of warnings and codes, due to the wheel not being straight, which went away as soon as the car was aligned correctly.

I'm not an expert, but the tire being mounted backwards I wouldn't think would affect the alignment or thrust angle.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012_135i View Post
And if the general manager declines to make things right tell him you have no choice but to go to BMWUSA about how they're installing tires on backwards and not guaranteeing their work and that you'll need to post your experience on every automotive forum and social networking site you know, starting with 1ADDICTS, to protect others. Throw in making complaints to the BBB and local consumer protection agency as well.
I actually did all of that and got no where...(BUT STILL DO IT FOR RECORDs) BMW does not care about the people behind their wheels.. I took my fight from every level at the dealership to BMW NA to the Corporate office in NJ and all they did is drag their feet and say NO. Called BBB they told me to send a e mail. Sent an e mail to the BBB and never heard back

You probably could have had a tire shop do it cheaper and better.. But my experience was the opposite of yours. My small time tire shop could not get it right but the mechanics at the BMW dealer hit the nail on the head the first time.

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
Derek8819
First Lieutenant
Rep

I doubt the tire would cause any issue either, just a PITA to deal with agian.

This time I want print outs from the alignment, I am paying too much to be doubting their work.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
That just sucks!!! I would of drove back to the dealer and raised hell, that's unacceptable for a BMW dealer. I call BS on the SA observing the work these guys spent most of their day on the phone in their office not in the service bays.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
That just sucks!!! I would of drove back to the dealer and raised hell, that's unacceptable for a BMW dealer. I call BS on the SA observing the work these guys spent most of their day on the phone in their office not in the service bays.
Haha I know..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
Guildenstern
or Rosencrantz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 128i

Garage List
2008 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Welcome to every Alignment I have ever had. EVER.

I'm becoming convinced that it has finally become a lost art.

Never use this dealership again, their attitude is un-acceptable, try an Independent.
http://www.bimrs.org/2008MapPage.html
http://www.bimmershops.com/
Appreciate 0