E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Saving your Seat Position (no electric seats)

01-31-2006, 05:04 AM   #1
BimmerMan7
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i E90

Arrow Saving your Seat Position (no electric seats)

I was wondering - another thread showed that quite a few E90 drivers have difficulty in getting the correct seat position. I take many minutes adjusting my drivers seat till I get it right. Then my car went in to the dealership and Guess what - seat adjusted by mechanic !!!
Is there ANY way you can help me to mark or set the drivers seat, so I can take it back to those position without wasting more time ?
Should I mark the position with paint or what !!
I don't have electric seats - probably should ahve ordered that, but I opted for a sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I've spent plenty of time knowing and adjusting the seats. For what it's worth, I found this to be the best way for me to adjust the drivers seat (I have manual sport seats):

0) Start with a Baseline position. Lower the height all the way down, rock the seat fully forward, push the seat back far enough so you can easily fall into the seat when getting in, and set the recline at a midway position
1) First, adjust the height. Starting with the seats as far down as possible, adjust the verticle positioning of the seat until there is a snug 3 finger widths of space between the top of your head and the ceiling of the car.
2) Next, adjust the pitch of the seat. The seats have a lever that you can pull to rock the seat like a rocking chair. The longer your legs, the more you'll probably want to "rock" backwards.
3) Next adjust the backward/forward sliding distance of the seat. At 6 feet tall and 35 inch sleeve, the perfect position for me is where my arms are most natural with the steering wheel (which I have set at all the way up and all the way back). At that length, my left hand can reach all the window buttons (at the beginning, you still have to get used to how far down the front window buttons are) and my right hand can reach the gear selector without my back leaving the backrest. Also, at this point, only the most padded and forward protruding part of the sport seats side bolsters is infront of the B-pillar line. In other words, if you looked at my car from a dead on side angle view, the seat backs would be basically completely behind the pillar separating the front and rear compartments.
4) Adjust the recline of the back rest, and you are now good to go!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Pretty involved

Wow, that sounds like a pre-flight checklist...

I thought moonroof was standard.

"I reach back...between my legs...and ease the seat back"
- Van Halen (Panama)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2006, 02:55 AM   #4
BimmerMan7
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i E90

adjusting Seats

Thaks Redstripe for the info. Your steps sounds long, but if you do this once or twice it seems ok.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2006, 06:54 PM   #5
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan7
Thaks Redstripe for the info. Your steps sounds long, but if you do this once or twice it seems ok.
Yeah, this is only to set it up. Assuming you're the main driver, you'll do this pretty rarely. Think of the steps as a method to find the perfect position for you, in case things ever get adjusted out of whack. With 4 levers to pull on (up/down, back/forth, recline, rocking), I found this order to be the most efficient.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2006, 06:59 PM   #6
selm
Fight On!
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90rocks
Wow, that sounds like a pre-flight checklist...

I thought moonroof was standard.

"I reach back...between my legs...and ease the seat back"
- Van Halen (Panama)
Moonroof is not standard in South Africa. I think only in the US is it a standard feature. Maybe Canada, but I don't know that for sure.
Appreciate 0