BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
PL99
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 JB 135i

DSC Speed Sensor Error caused by bad Wheel Bearing?

Looking for some advice. Here's the story:

About 2 months out of warranty my car has been getting DSC errors. I have a BT tool so I plugged it in and got a bunch of errors referencing my right side rear wheel speed sensor (loss of signal, noise monitor). I don't notice any issue with driveability except whenever this error is on, my turn signals do not go off after I turn. The error goes on whenever I make a slow turn, and goes off in about 5 minutes of driving.

I brought the car to a local shop that specializes in European Cars that is well regarded in the area, tell him what I know, etc. I know little about this sensor, how it works, or exactly where its located.

He checks it out and says that there was a whole lot of "gunk" in there and that the sensor was filthy. He cleaned it, and took the car out, and it still came back with the same errors. He took it apart again, and noticed that the area was not as clean as he left it. This time he removed the entire sensor, noticed rusting and decided to replace the sensor.

With the new sensor, he took the car out and said he still got the DSC error at the end of his test. He checked the sensor again and noticed a fair amount of "gunk" on the sensor for the amount of driving that was done. He believes this gunk is getting into the sensor area due to the bearing. They recommended I get a new bearing, but said I should call BMWNA and see if they will help me out since the car is only out of warranty a few months, and since it only has 27k miles on it.

I drove the car home, and have not had the error since (2 days of driving back and forth to work). Has anyone had any experiences with this, or know how a bad bearing could cause this buildup by the sensor?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I think you should take your car to a BMW dealer and see what they say. It sounds to me that you have two different issues.

The turn signal not cancelling could be due to a bad SZL sensor on the steering column. By chance have you had your alignment checked/adjusted recently?

As far as the rear wheel bearing being bad... either it is loose or its tight. I don't see why or where that crud is getting onto your ABS wheel speed sensor. I guess you could run a scan and monitor the speed sensors - see if the signal goes dead while doing some braking or cornering.

I think you should try to calibrate your SZL sensor and see what happens.

BMW steering wheel sensor re-setting…

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504482

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard
HOPE YOU READ THIS BEFORE YOU G BACK..

sit in car,
start engine,
have steering wheel in straight ahead position
without pausing, turn wheel slowly all the way to the left and pause at the end for a second or 2
withouth pasing, turn all the way to the right and pause at the end for a second or 2
repeat the last 2 steps and end in the straight ahead position.

turn off car, wait a minute, restart, and drive away for a few hundred feet.

you just calibrated your SZL ( steering wheel sensor to tell dsc if wheel is turned and to what degree)

other lights come on by default.

Good Luck...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
PL99
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 JB 135i

The issues with the turn signal go away as soon as the DSC error goes away. So as of right now, I have no issues with the turn signal. It apparently is directly related to the sensor error.

Right now the car is fine. However, the fact that it was suggested to me that I should replace the bearing based off of this sensor error is what is making me wonder.

Does one even have anything to do with the other? How could a bad bearing adversely effect the speed sensor?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL99 View Post
Does one even have anything to do with the other? How could a bad bearing adversely effect the speed sensor?

The wheel hub has a sprocket gear mounted on it. this sprocket has teeth... that provide a on/off/on signal to the wheel speed sensor. IF your wheel bearing is loose... this sprocket's orbit will move... and the sensor will cease to "see" an constant signal - this is what causes a fault.

Frankly... the wheel speed sensors SHOULD NOT cause your turn signals not to cancel. That is the job os a SZL (steering angle and speed) sensor.

I think you have a bad SZL sensor. Just google it or search on it over here... you will find a few threads on a bad SZL sensor. Its not cheap either at $1K I think. TAKE your car to a BMW dealer... they are the experts. They you can argue for good will coverage.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
rsr552
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

BUMP for old thread...possibly someone can help me here...

So i got DSC & DBC & Hill Assist malfunction symbols...

Supposedly i have a bent rim and my alignment is wack...and my service advisor says i need to do an alignment to fix the problem...

He says I have to do the alignment at BMW to reprogram the car...is this true? I wanted to get aftermarket wheels anyways (might as well lol), but I'd rather do the alignment after i get the wheels/tires on!!

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
rsr552
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

So... question now... If you do get a replacement sensor...does the dealership really have to Reprogram the car? Or will the reset procedure be sufficient?
Appreciate 0