BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

Exterior Light System failed indicator on dash but all bulbs working???

So today when I turned on the car inside the garage, reasonably dark, (with automatic headlights on, I got a quick flash of the Yellow Lightbulb with "!" on the dash, aka exterior lighting system failure

I drove for a bit outside, turned off / on again, didnt get it again.
Got to my destination got out the car tested the brakes could see the left/right were working, not sure about the 3rd brake light cause i couldnt see it

Front headlights everything working.
So unless its the 3rd brakelight, any sentiments on why the indicator would come on then not come on again after i turn off /on multiple times??

interesting to note that yesterday a mechanic took my headlights out to replace the halogen halos with LEDs
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatjoez View Post
So today when I turned on the car inside the garage, reasonably dark, (with automatic headlights on, I got a quick flash of the Yellow Lightbulb with "!" on the dash, aka exterior lighting system failure

I drove for a bit outside, turned off / on again, didnt get it again.
Got to my destination got out the car tested the brakes could see the left/right were working, not sure about the 3rd brake light cause i couldnt see it

Front headlights everything working.
So unless its the 3rd brakelight, any sentiments on why the indicator would come on then not come on again after i turn off /on multiple times??

interesting to note that yesterday a mechanic took my headlights out to replace the halogen halos with LEDs
THERE you go! That is your problem. The LEDs you are running are throwing the error code.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

Really?
But how does it work how come it only came on once then no more?
If it's actually the LED's I'll be pissed off.
Do I need to do anything about it?

PS: my headlights are DEPO Projector82s & the LED's are actually purchased directly from JLEVI on that samepage,
so I don't understand why they would throw error code. Surely JLEVI wouldn't sell LED upgrades that would throw errors :|

WTF just looked at the page again and see they have added a new option
Quote:
Error Canceling Module [HID-TC-CEL]
These modules will cancel any errors you may have. They can be added after the fact if you discover errors.
WTF?

http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/1-Se...duct_info.html
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Fatjoez, have you asked JLEVI what they think is wrong? maybe take your car to a BMW dealer and see what they think. They might charge you to look at your car - since you changed the lights. ?

I am no expert, but I have read lots on here about error codes when you change the light bulbs out. This is why I have not done so. Even worse is that you say your halo's can not be seen in daylight. Perhaps this is why bMW went with that yellow bulb hue?

Aftermarket is aftermarket. Most shops could care less IF the products they sell does infact work! All they care about is the SALE! Kind of reminds me of when the e46 came out... and all these places sold Xeon upgrade kits. But soon everyone realized that unless you coded the car's computer... your HID's would flicker on and off at night. NOT ideal in teh darkness!!! Mike Miller went so far to to tell Bimmer reader NOT to buy Xeon upgrade kits. Even though alot of the pages of the mag were plastered with adds for Xeon lamp kits. Food for thought.
Appreciate 0