BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #23
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemChiro View Post
To Justin@Advan:

Looking at the picture of your oil thermostat bypass plate....I've read that the left hose port (towards passenger side) flows out to the oil cooler and the right hose port (near drivers side) flows back into the oil filter housing. Is that correct?

I'm asking because in the picture you have the opposite flow going into and out of your external thermostat.?.?

Thanks,
S-
Hi S,

I think you will find that "the right hose port (near drivers side)" is in fact the discharge port, "the left hose port (towards passenger side)" is the return port.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #24
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Official pricing and track data?

AR Catless Downpipes | Berk Full Street Exhaust | HPF FMIC | COBB AP | aFe Magnum Stage 2 | E93 M3 Front Sway Bar & Bushings | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | Hardwired Radar | Eurotek BBS LM | Schmiedmann LCI Blacklines | BMW Performance: Spoiler, Diffuser, Shift Boot, E-Brake
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #25
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

will this fit the AREO performance front bumper?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #26
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
Official pricing and track data?
The official price of the Stage 2 kit is $1,295 plus shipping.

I am waiting on some track data from a local customer that just installed the kit.

I suspect the Stage 2 kit performed very well and alleviated his ongoing oil temp induced limp modes, if it did not I'm sure I would have heard about it by now.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #27
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da _Grk_Tuner View Post
will this fit the AREO performance front bumper?
Hi,

without having ever had a good look at the BMW Performance "Aero" front bar, I would have to say no.

The mounting bracket and core choice that positions both the Stage 1 (15 row) & Stage 2 (20 row) coolers ideally to ensure maximum heat transfer capability, was designed around the use of the M-Sport front bumper.

The below pic, more clearly illustrates what I'm talking about. We could certainly produce a kit that would work optimally with the "Aero" front bar, but we would need access to a 135i with that front bumper to do so.

Cheers,

JD.
Attached Images

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 06-18-2012 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #28
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Hey Gents,

here is some track data following the installation of our Stage 2 oil cooler kit.

FYI,

that car is N54 135i with an AT gearbox and is FBO.

All the temperatures quoted are obviously in degrees Celsius and on the previous track day, at I believe the same race track, the car went into "limp mode" due to excessive oil temps on a number of occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86
Justin - if I recall correctly, temps hit 125 degrees momentarily but quickly came down to 120 degrees. The temps would range between 110-120 degrees for the most part, which is a decent result at this track. Also, keep in mind the temp conditions outside were 10 degrees cooler than my last day out at the track at 16.5 degrees which is ideal, imho. No oil temp related limp modes.

Here is another quote from the same customer, that pertains to daily driving.

I've driven the car a bit more since then. I'm noticing the car takes a bit longer to warm up now. I assume this is because the thermostat is working as soon as you start the car? The highest temp I get on the street is 110 degrees, but this is only driving around town or in start/stop traffic. It does take at least 30 minutes of driving to get up to those temps though. On the highway it usually sits between 85-95 degrees. I don't ever recall hitting 120 degrees on the street and if I go to say 110-115 degrees, it drops back down to around 100 degrees fairly quickly. The conditions are a lot better as we are in winter but we've still had a few 18-19 degree days so it's not exactly freezing cold either.

The 'normal' range seems to be 90-110 degrees when the car is fully warmed up. Before, I would sit between 110-120 degees. The setup is definitely doing its job.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 06-18-2012 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #29
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Hey mate,

we are currently looking into fitment on the 1M.

The duct work on the front bar of the 1M is really quite good, so it would be a shame to not utilise that cleverly ducted high speed air.

As such we are thinking that the optimum setup would be two non-extra wide coolers that are 15 or possibly 20 rows in height.

That being said until we have had a good look at a 1M, with the splash liner and front bar removed, it's all speculation at this stage.
Very interested in any update.

As you've probably found, there is room for only one oil cooler on the right side of the 1M, since there is an auxilliary radiator for engine coolant on the other.

I'm especially curious as to what you may conclude regarding the size of the cooler, since the duct is pretty closely matched to (and fit against) the front of the stock cooler. Without significantly enlarging the duct or removing altogether, I'm unsure whether we'd derive benefits from a larger oil cooler since it wouldn't be exposed to air flow.

Also, would a lower thermostat actually benefit a car subject to sustained heavy loads on the road race course?

By opening at a lower temperature the motor will, or course, run cooler in low load situations. But am I correct that the lower temp thermostat provides no benefit once it is fully open and the coolant temp rises above the thermostat setting as occurs when running on the track and/or in stop-and-go driving?

It strikes me that the primary benefit of the your cooler would be the larger heat exchanger and not the lower temp thermostat.

Thanks.

Neil

Last edited by MDORPHN; 07-09-2012 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #30
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Very interested in any update.

As you've probably found, there is room for only one oil cooler on the right side of the 1M, since there is an auxilliary radiator for engine coolant on the other.

I'm especially curious as to what you may conclude regarding the size of the cooler, since the duct is pretty closely matched to (and fit against) the front of the stock cooler. Without significantly enlarging the duct or removing altogether, I'm unsure whether we'd derive benefits from a larger oil cooler since it wouldn't be exposed to air flow.

Also, would a lower thermostat actually benefit a car subject to sustained heavy loads on the road race course?

By opening at a lower temperature the motor will, or course, run cooler in low load situations. But am I correct that the lower temp thermostat provides no benefit once it is fully open and the coolant temp rises above the thermostat setting as occurs when running on the track and/or in stop-and-go driving?

It strikes me that the primary benefit of the your cooler would be the larger heat exchanger and not the lower temp thermostat.

Thanks.

Neil
Hi Neil,

thank you for your interest in the development of a 1M oil cooler kit.

Please check your inbox as I have sent you a PM.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #31
Blue Apex
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Alpine White

Oil cooler pricing

Justin
Interested in the 135 Stage 2 Oil cooler kit and the PWR rad. Tried to email both you and Peter but the emails are bouncing back. Can I get prices (in Australian dollars) on both products and shipping costs to Toronto Canada.
Thanks! Feel free to email me back at richard.heeney@gmail.com
R
Appreciate 0