BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Already used my Extended Warranty

A few months ago I pulled the trigger on an extended warranty for my 2008 135i. The biggest reason for doing so was the unpredictability of the "Year 1 of the One." My SA sold me on Fidelity, a 3rd party company that supposedly covers more than BMW's extended warranty plan and probably put a few bucks in my SA's pocket.
Well, over the weekend my side passenger window collapsed and completely fell into the door during the one sub-50 degree day we have in Florida. The regulator needed replacement and according to my SA Fidelity will instantly approve any repair under $1,000 no questions asked.
Obviously I paid more for the warranty than it would have cost to pay for the regulator out of pocket but I am feeling a little better knowing I have some sort of coverage should something more significant happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
MSPORTWORLD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 MW/FR - '12 M3 FO/SC

Garage List
Congrats.

Keep us posted on how much the repair actually was and if you run into any pitfalls for the approval of the work.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

There was no problem with the approval, however I received a call from my SA yesterday who explained to me that while the new regulator was being tested - and in his exact words - the passenger window exploded. Now it's going to take an extra day for them to install a new window and tint it.

Heads up to anyone who thinks the window regulator is a simple DIY fix. Watch for exploding glass.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
magiik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 E82 135i, '21 G01 X3 M40i

I did the window regulator in my 135 myself with almost no problem. The only problem I had was getting the window off the old regulator. There was a reverse threaded bolt that I probably ended up tightening and had to take it to a shop to have it drilled out. It was hardened steel though, they had to essentially melt it out with a high speed carbide drill. I posted a semi-DIY/help thread somewhere on the forums
Appreciate 0