BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2008, 11:41 PM   #23
Xin1120
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupé

Garage List
I tried some blue painter's tape and taped up the window and mirror. The wind noise on the window is still there however mirror noise does not occur anymore. But then again, I don't usually get the mirror whistle just wind noise from my passenger side window.

BTW, what speeds are you guys driving at when these sounds start?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 07:39 PM   #24
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

I don't hear anything; am I normal???

haha. I will try it tonight.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 05:25 AM   #25
josh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, 135i

My window noise is also obnoxious, and BMW just tells me to live with it. tapping the window down helps, but it's a bit finicky. Has anybody had luck in getting their service department to acknowledge this as a design problem and try to do something about it?

We shouldn't have to be taping viewgraphs over the radio to get to see it, or tapping windows to stop window noise - it's not a Yugo, after all. As far as I can see, my service guys are totally uninterested in solving either problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 08:03 AM   #26
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I was met with the same attitude when I took mine in a few months back for the wind noise. They pretty much said: "everything is in spec, sorry but there's nothing else we can do." Thanks so much guys, for such a weak effort. I can't imagine BMW Corporate would have the same attitude.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 07:08 PM   #27
napoletani99
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, Space Grey, Sport

and i thought i was just going too fast...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #28
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i sport package

Quote:
Originally Posted by UR2SLOW1 View Post
I was met with the same attitude when I took mine in a few months back for the wind noise. They pretty much said: "everything is in spec, sorry but there's nothing else we can do." Thanks so much guys, for such a weak effort. I can't imagine BMW Corporate would have the same attitude.
I have found that I too have the wind noise, no mirror noise but it only happens when the wind is blowing at a good clip and hitting the car at the right angle. I was driving to work on the 407 which does many east to north to south turns and when I was heading north east and the wind was blowing from the south east at a good clip there was loud wind noise on the passenger side, but when the road headed south east and the wind was hitting the car straight on, noise was far less prevelant. so what's probrably happening is when the dealer does their "test" they are not getting the same test conditions.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #29
JN2009
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethermal View Post
I have found that I too have the wind noise, no mirror noise but it only happens when the wind is blowing at a good clip and hitting the car at the right angle. I was driving to work on the 407 which does many east to north to south turns and when I was heading north east and the wind was blowing from the south east at a good clip there was loud wind noise on the passenger side, but when the road headed south east and the wind was hitting the car straight on, noise was far less prevelant. so what's probrably happening is when the dealer does their "test" they are not getting the same test conditions.
Same thing for me depend of the angle.I suspect it make this on all (no frame door car ) I think the windows and the seal make a small movement and the wind pass by the hole causing by the movement.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 01:55 PM   #30
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

the whistle is coming from a/c when turned on..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #31
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Can't be a design issue. I don't have any noise.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #32
TMc135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Garage List
Guys, maybe I'm misreading the posts on this thread but there seems to be 2 different issues in discussion here. 1) window noise (like it's not sealed well) and 2) whisting noise (from mirror). Item number 1 has been discussed quite a bit and there is a service bulletin posted in one of these threads that has BMW Service basically replace the door/window modling. I had the window noise problem some of you speak of in which you tap the window down and it lowers the noise. I found out about the bulletin and had them change it and thankfully it solved it. For those of you who have this issue, do search and if you don't find it, let me know. I would have to look it up. on the other hand I occasionally have mirror noise but have a clear bra on mirrors so that may not help. Best of luck.

(2008 135i modded - SOLD, 2006 E90 330xi - SOLD, 1995 M3 track car - SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 12:33 AM   #33
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-35 View Post
I just posted response #12 at:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ght=wind+noise

IMHO, I think it's an aerodynamic design flaw in the rear view mirrows; however, I will need more time and tests to verify my theory. (P.S.: I'm an aeronautical & astronautical engineer.)

If the wind noise is coming from your glass-to-vinyl seal on the door, then the 'slight tap downward' trick might work. A similar solution works for squeaky rattles on '04-'06 Acura TSX windows. I had this problem arise after 2000 miles, and I took it back to the dealer 5 times for modifications, lubrication, etc. Bottom line: the only 2 solutions that worked were: 1) keep window frame seal lubed with silicone spray and 2) quick tap (down) on window button.
Odd, I don't have any wind noise issue around my windows.

It's very possible that it's the turbulence caused by the side mirrors.
I notice when it's raining that water circulates in the lower front corner of the window. That kind of turbulence could be the cause of some of the noise issues. Maybe some of us don't have wind noise due to how we adjust the inside mirror? Granted the housing is in the same position, but maybe it depends also on how the mirror is adjusted.
Perhaps some of you with noise problems could just adjust the mirror completely different and hear if there is any difference in the noise.

Also, will the mirrors come in, like they do for parking, when at speed?
The other day I was going slow maybe like 20mph and I could still get my mirrors to close in towards the body. If they do close at speed, try closing them and see if the wind noise changes. If it does get quieter the maybe you can make something to attach to the side mirror housing to move the air differently and move the air to another location that is quieter. There are a lot of stick on doo dads at Autozone for cosmetic use, maybe one of those could be used to make something of an air spoiler for the side mirror.
I'd try it but I don't have a noise issue.
But, now that you guys have me thinking about it, I bet tomorrow when I drive I'll hear it! Thanks a LOT!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #34
digimate
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jet 135i, Lemon & Poplar

quick note

hey guys, all this windows wind talk... some are saying its the design of the external mirror... in my case, it's none of these.

I was going nuts trying to figure out what was causing the whistling and then i actually activated the hvac system - as in choose either air down, to your face or up....

the whistling is coming from the air hitting the buffers that prevent the free-flow of air into the cabin... as long as you provide somewhere specific for the air to go... no more whistle...

dumb, i know... but a lot easier to handle then dealing with mirrors and windows...

try it. let me know.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #35
Luvmybmw
One Fast 1
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 AW e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimate View Post
hey guys, all this windows wind talk... some are saying its the design of the external mirror... in my case, it's none of these.

I was going nuts trying to figure out what was causing the whistling and then i actually activated the hvac system - as in choose either air down, to your face or up....

the whistling is coming from the air hitting the buffers that prevent the free-flow of air into the cabin... as long as you provide somewhere specific for the air to go... no more whistle...

dumb, i know... but a lot easier to handle then dealing with mirrors and windows...

try it. let me know.
I will give this a try
      10-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #36
peppebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Happened to me a few weeks ago. Got so mad I punched my drivers side window. Didn't break but I tore a little bit of my tint. I have a love/hate relationship with my car. Grrrr!

2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
2022 RE Continental GT 650
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #37
dennisawild
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Squeaky Windows

I have resolved the problems with the squeaky window syndrom. After browsing the forums, trying silicone lubicant, silicone, wd40, contact cleaner, white lithium grease, I finally found something that resolved this.

I have a 2003 Z4 that I bought new and about a year ago the windows would make a loud squeaky noise which was really noticable when putting the top down. They would go about 6 to 10 inches and then majorly squeak.

Believe it or not, I bought some Kleen Gaurd Furniture aerosol furniture polish. I guess the components for both cleaning and "wax" did the job. With the windows down, I simply put my finger in the opening, and spray the dickens out of it from one end of the door opening to the other. You will see an immediate difference, but not a complete result and it may even seem to squeak more or differently. About an hour later you will be amazed at the elimination or reduction. If not totally gone, just do it again.

The bad part is that you have to clean your windows a couple of times to remove the residue, but that's it. It works and no side affects.

Thanks,
Dennis
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #38
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
Was just reading through this thread for the first time...anyone think the new mirrors on the 2011's might address this issue?

2020 X5 M50i G05 l MW l BLACK l PREM l DHP l 22” l PARK l EXT S-LINE l LASER l TH l AG
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #39
04Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Cpe

I had a 2008 BMW 128i with the wind noise at about 60 mph. I have a new 2011 BMW 128i with the new mirrors and I do not have any wind noise issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #40
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Enthusiast View Post
I had a 2008 BMW 128i with the wind noise at about 60 mph. I have a new 2011 BMW 128i with the new mirrors and I do not have any wind noise issues.
Well, I think that just answered my question.

2020 X5 M50i G05 l MW l BLACK l PREM l DHP l 22” l PARK l EXT S-LINE l LASER l TH l AG
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #41
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
I had this problem and it was solved with a new window seal.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #42
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Although Americans did not take a liking to the feature, the Black Forest Whistling Rear View Mirrors were quite liked by the Germans as the sound warned deer of the oncoming BMW E82's.

NOT

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0