BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

BMW Navigation Portable Plus

I pick up my 128i on Tuesday at the Performance Center and am starting to accumulate "stuff" to put on it. One of my initial purchases is the mount for the newer, wider screen Garmin that BMW calls the Portable Plus. I got the mount from United (Dan is the nice guy everybody else reports he is - very helpful).

I thought others might be interested in what I have learned so far and might want to offer advice on the installation.

The metal mount is apparently the same as is used for the narrower GPS's like my nuvi 350 or the BMW version of the nuvi 360. The width for the wider nuvi 760/880 GPS is obtained by shifting the mount 11mm towards the center of the dash. I have the installation procedures for both versions and noted this difference in the instructions.

Unlike the nuvi 360, however, the wider nuvis installation kit has a bunch of wires beyond the basic power connection that is used with the nuvi 360 based system. There are 11 wires that go from a special custom cradle unique of the BMW Portable Plus (or Portable Pro). Two are power, 3 are apparently for feeding the sound into the aux port of the radio (the connection is to pins 6 and 12 of connector X13813 and to pin 16 of connector X13812). 5 wires are labeled on the wiring diagram as associated with "TMC". A search of this forum indicates that could be related to traffic information. The final step of the installation instructions discusses Retrofit coding of the car so that it recognizes the installation of the "Portable Navigation".

My dilemna is which GPS to buy. I was planning to just get a Garmin nuvi 760 for about $200 but use the BMW mount. The problem with that is it won't have the special cradle of the Garmin system. It looks like a nice setup with all the wires coming out of the ball connection so you don't see them. If I modify the cradle and wires from a nuvi 760 you will see the electrical connector on the cradle (right side) when the nuvi is not in the cradle and you will see a 3.5mm connector plugged to the headphone jack of the nuvi itself (left side so less visible but visible when the nuvi is installed). The BMW system also includes a cover for the cradle for when the nuvi is not in it but that doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I also plan to use an external mic for the nuvi so I am not sure the cover would work anyway (the mike plugs into the cradle). I like the BMW arrangement better but do I like it $225 better? Probably not. I also do not like the thought of returning to the dealer for coding when I am done. Seems like another chance to spend money. But I would like a nice clean installation.

Currently I am thinking of trying to figure out the pins of the nuvi 760 cradle so I can make the power and aux signal connections through the cradle to eliminate the visible wires. I doubt that the connections from the GPS to the cradle are unique to the BMW system, I bet they are there in the nuvi 760. If I could eliminate the extraneous wires, the other differences defintely do not mean enough to me to spend twice the price on the GPS (even though that is a lot less than the $2100 nav system).

I promise pictures when this is all done, right now I am planning to help with the waiting for the car.

For those of you thinking of adding a portable GPS, I think you should look at this system. I have only seen it at United but Dan is good to deal with. The portable plus has GPS, MP3, and Bluetooth phone. The Portable Pro adds voice comands.

Jim
      07-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i,'07 X3

I have the portable Pro. I let the dealer install it. They told me that the instructions were not correct and they had to spend 45 min. on the phone with BMW to get it right.

It is a slick installation. One thing to note is that I can see the wires between the bracket and the dash from the windshield side - I'd like to mask that some way.

At first I had problems where the voice would go silent in the cradle, but it would work out of the cradle. The only way to correct it was to turn it off and remove the battery, then put it back in and stoke it up. I recently did a software upgrade on the Nuvi, and that problem seems to be gone now.

Sometimes when it announces navigation it starts out at a high volume and then adjusts itself down - that may actually be the car audio system.

I like it.

Have Fun,
Rick
2009 135i (E82) Space Gray; Gray Leather; Steptronic w/paddles; Premium; Sport; CA - Dinan: Stage 2 ECU; Cold Air Intake; Oil Cooler; Susp. bushings; Strut Brace. - BMWPerf: Suspension; rotors front & rear; exhaust; grilles; sideskirts; trunk spoiler. BMW 261M wheels w/Sumitomo HTR ZIII. - Quaife: LSD. - Custom Graphics.
2007 X3 - 2002 Pontiac Montana
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks for the information, CoolToolGuy. After reading your comments, and problems others have reported, I think I will keep my wiring relatively simple. I still want the power and the connection to the radio and for them to come out the back of the cradle instead of being separate wires, but I'm seriously considering bringing a wire up the center console so I can effectively just be plugging in the auxiliary port under the arm rest. The alternative is taping into the radio connector which I think might require a trip to the dealer for an update to the car computer. If I use the aux port and only tap into the car's wiring for power, it would effectively be the same as the earlier nuvi 360 installations where others did not report issues. And I still have the wires pretty well hidden.

With respect to your wires being visible from the windshield, I plan to put mine in a black shrink wrap during installation. That should make them less noticable. To do this on your installation would require pulling the gauges and gauge cover, unplugging the 11 wires coming from the cradle into a connector and then you could slide on the cover. Heat shrink tubing comes in colors too but is usually black and is available at an auto parts or home center. I do not instend to shrink it but the sun may take care of that for me. It will be easy during installation but a bit of a mess for you to do at this point (but very low cost). The wires are plugged into the large connector during installation (it has to be done this way to get the wires out through the Garmin ball connector).

I think I would loose nothing visually the way I plan and only loose the traffic alerts from a functional standpoint which I would not have in my area anyway. I will still have the nav coming out the car speakers and MP3 and bluetooth phone working that way too. I will test this with mp3s in my nuvi 350 with the wire in the passenger area when I drive home from the PCD.

Does your cradle have a female jack for a remote microphone? I've read that the bluetooth sounds a bit funny working through the built-in mic but better with a $15 external microphone Garmin offers. The pictures I have of the cradle for the Plus and Pro are not good enough for me to tell. It is on the left edge of the cradle on the nuvi 760. Do you think something like this would be useful?

Jim
      09-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

There is also a tray that replaces the storage tray you can get for the Pro and the Plus....

This makes it a very neat install.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...01&hg=65&fg=95
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Found a pic, not great, but gives an idea....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

I think that installation looks pretty good but I also think it is for a X5. Might work in a 1, I guess. I like the location of the metal bracket sold for the 1 and 3. Puts the nuvi right next to the gauges where it is easy to see and reach.

I posted pictures of my installation in another thread. I've used it for a couple months and like it. I have traffic but I will have to pay another $60 to extend it to lifetime traffic. I also plan to get lifetime map upgrades for $100. I have a bunch of songs on a 4GB SD card in the nuvi. I like using this better than CDs. The bluetooth works well with an external mic about where BMW puts it up where the map lights and rearview mirror are. I can be understood even with the top down on the highway. There are three wires visible for a short distance and they are all black. So I think it looks pretty good. The wires are the nuvi end connector of the stock power cord, the connector for the remote microphone for the phone, and the aux cord connector. All except the headphone out, aux port in wire are not visible from the front with the nuvi in the car (i.e. they connect to the cradle).

Jim
      10-03-2009, 03:55 AM   #7
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

That pic is in an X3, but the 1 series will take the same part, the storage trays are the same for both.

That tray with the wiring to hard wire the unit and link it into the cars speakers is only $25, so I have ordered one, I will report back.

I would guess any of the latest Nuvis will fit it, which would be cool.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
Tomcat
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0D M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
That pic is in an X3, but the 1 series will take the same part, the storage trays are the same for both.

That tray with the wiring to hard wire the unit and link it into the cars speakers is only $25, so I have ordered one, I will report back.

I would guess any of the latest Nuvis will fit it, which would be cool.
I also need that storage tray for Navi... Where can I find one??

( I do not like to buy whole portable Navi kit )
      10-27-2009, 03:38 PM   #9
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Get your dealer to check the part and make sure it comes with the tray and not the bracket.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
Tomcat
Registered
Rep

Quote:

Get your dealer to check the part and make sure it comes with the tray and not the bracket.
Thanks! Tray ordered... Local BMW dealer have nice price for the X3 tray

Part no: 65900445996 Only $97usd

10-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #11
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Hold on, what part have you ordered??

If you have an X3 is a different part number to the one in the link above. They are slightly different.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #12
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

This is the link for the X3....

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Ok, just seen you have ordered the correct part.

Did you ask them to see if you can order the tray seperately??
That part is the complete nav install kit with wires and connectors etc.
You may be able to get the tray on its own cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
Tomcat
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Ok, just seen you have ordered the correct part.

Did you ask them to see if you can order the tray seperately??
That part is the complete nav install kit with wires and connectors etc.
You may be able to get the tray on its own cheaper.
Well, shit happens... Hmmmm, I maid need those extra parts too, so wires and connectors are welcome this time.
      01-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #15
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Are there any updates on this one? I would love to see the parts at least but mostly how it turned out.
      04-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #16
justbe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Convertible

Does the 1 series in Europe come with a storage tray in the dash? I would like the cradle for my Garmin, but the dash would have to be cut for this install? Is that something the dealer will do? Has anyone in the US done this?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 03:00 AM   #17
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...62&hg=51&fg=95

That is the tray, if you have no tray you need to buy that first, only because you get a template for cutting the dash with it.
Just use a Dremmel and do it yourself, its really easy.

Then you buy the nav tray.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 07:00 AM   #18
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

I too am interested in how this turned out. I recently switched from a 760 to a 885t and learned the cradles are different. Maybe that is why there is a Plus and a Pro kit - but the metal bracket installation kit does not include the cradle. With the current prices of the discontinued 885t (pro), I would buy it, especially for this installation where it will be further from you and thus harder to touch. The 765t is the last of the 7 series line and the choice if you want to go touch screen. It is about the same price as the 885t and has some features the 885t does not if you are sure you don't need to control it verbally.

For this to be a fully functional installation, it seems that dealer programming will be required. But I don't think it can be fully functional without buying the BMW branded unit since the cradle comes with the GPS. So that would limit you to an installation like mine - sound through the car speakers through use of the headphone jack on the GPS into the aux port of the car. And I have to manually switch between the radio and the aux port to hear phone calls in the car. Nothing terrible but not as nice as the BMW branded unit with the special cradle and dealer programming so the unit will switch automatically and less visible wiring.

Jim
      04-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #19
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

The tray only comes with the tray, the rest of the bits come with the nav unit.

I fitted a Pioneer AVIC to mine...

Nice active cradle so when you do need to remove it it takes 5 seconds, no unplugging wires etc....

However, since swapped it for a Sony/Navigon unit mounted in the oem idrive monitor housing...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #20
justbe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I too am interested in how this turned out. I recently switched from a 760 to a 885t and learned the cradles are different. Maybe that is why there is a Plus and a Pro kit - but the metal bracket installation kit does not include the cradle. With the current prices of the discontinued 885t (pro), I would buy it, especially for this installation where it will be further from you and thus harder to touch. The 765t is the last of the 7 series line and the choice if you want to go touch screen. It is about the same price as the 885t and has some features the 885t does not if you are sure you don't need to control it verbally.

For this to be a fully functional installation, it seems that dealer programming will be required. But I don't think it can be fully functional without buying the BMW branded unit since the cradle comes with the GPS. So that would limit you to an installation like mine - sound through the car speakers through use of the headphone jack on the GPS into the aux port of the car. And I have to manually switch between the radio and the aux port to hear phone calls in the car. Nothing terrible but not as nice as the BMW branded unit with the special cradle and dealer programming so the unit will switch automatically and less visible wiring.

Jim
I had iDrive nav in my previous BMW and never had the sound on, i looked at the maps. So I am not really worried about this. What concerns me is a clean install AND the traffic antenna for Garmin is in the power cord. Do either of the BMW models include traffic? Will this work with Garmin models other than 7 or 8 series? I would like to get a 5 inch screen if possible.

BTW, the OEM install that gIzzE has now looks pretty slick. Does that fold down when not in use? And it fit perfectly? Pretty wild.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 08:52 AM   #21
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbe View Post
I had iDrive nav in my previous BMW and never had the sound on, i looked at the maps. So I am not really worried about this. What concerns me is a clean install AND the traffic antenna for Garmin is in the power cord. Do either of the BMW models include traffic? Will this work with Garmin models other than 7 or 8 series? I would like to get a 5 inch screen if possible.

BTW, the OEM install that gIzzE has now looks pretty slick. Does that fold down when not in use? And it fit perfectly? Pretty wild.

Yeah it folds down, I originaly had it wired up to open/close when the key was inserted/removed, however, decided that I prefered being able to close it so I have since diconnected the power to the housing motor.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #22
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

Yes, I have traffic for both my 760 and 885t. Garmin uses three different traffic systems and which you use is a function of your subscription(s) and antenna. The antenna is part of the power cord so I just buried this cord in the dash. I soldered wires to make an accessory socket which is tie wrapped to a bracket in the dash under the steering wheel. I plug the normal Garmin power cord into this, tie wrap up the excess cord so it does not drop down out of the dash at some point, and run enough cord up into the gauge area and out to the nuvi. My 760 came with a 3 month trial of Clear Channel. When it expired I looked at both options that work with the "20" power cable/antenna and only the Clear Channel had stations in my area so I went lifetime on that. Cost was $60 if I remember right.

My 885t came with MSN Direct which includes traffic and a lot more stuff. It is also a trial and cost to extend to Jan 1, 2012 when MSN goes away is $30 if I remember right. I just got the 885t less than a month ago but the MSN is clearly better so I will extend it. If I plug the other power cord into the 885t, I have the Clear Channel traffic. So I may do that when the MSN runs out. Or I may just leave that power cord out of either vehicle and connect it to the one I am using when I go out of town. I do not find the traffic to be a big help around here but it might be on a trip sometime.

I think the BMW mount would work with other Garmins because I think the Garmin ball mount is the same for all their models. The problem you could have on the 5 inch screens, however, is with the height. The mount keeps the unit pretty close to the dash so I would be concerned that when you snapped the cradle on the BMW mount, you might not be able to snap the nuvi onto the cradle. Or you might have to tilt it way back where it would be hard to see. You could modify the mount pretty easily to fix this is you can weld but you could also make a mount like this from scratch if you wanted.

I like the tray mount too. It seems like it would be particularly good for the bigger screens because it allows the unit to be mounted a little lower. I would think hard about voice control, however. I have pretty long arms but the reach to the 760 was not trivial, expecially when it was mounted to the windshield before I put in the BMW mount. My only concern with the tray (other than the more involved installation) is it locates the unit further from you which seems like it would make a touch screen a little worse to use. With voice control, this would be much less of a factor. It should be possible as long as you have fairly long arms, it is just a question of how comfortable it would be. It is also different if you just want navigation. You do not have to touch it as much for that as you do if you are using it to play music.

Jim

Last edited by JimD; 04-23-2010 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0