BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-14-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
Farewell and Hello 1M meets M3

After 15 months and 11K miles, I bade farewell to my 1M. It's going to a good home and a great owner. Someone who truly appreciates this car for all that it represents. In the process of losing my VO 1M, I have gained a great colleague and fellow pistonhead.

The little 1M was placed on a closed container transport and is now en route from FL to CA, where it's new owner and playground await.

There are NO GOOD REASONS to sell this car. There are only excuses. In truth, this is one of the best MT cars I have owned, and I am sad to see it go. However, it was time. I enjoyed every single second of ownership. My 1M always put a giant grin on my face every single day. Better than Prozac, stronger than Vicodin, and cheaper than a hot girlfriend, the quintessential 1-series was the highlight of the day.

I searched for a suitable replacement. 991's disappointed, feeling large, heavy, and disconnected. 997's were more in tune with the 1M experience; however, a suitable replacement to the 1M required a large investment, such as the CS, GT3, or even Turbo models. Feeling a little disappointed, I decided to try an M3 with ZCP and DCT. Something.....entirely different. I concluded that it was necessary to confirm whether all the accolades bestowed upon the M3 were appropriate before investing six figures in a Porsche that did not quite convince me. Glad I did....although an entirely different animal, the M3 has the same BMW pedigree. A feeling not easily found in other makes. It is laudable that the BMW M Division has created two vehicles that achieve the same end result in very different ways.

In the end, the Comp Pack M3 in Interlagos Blue beat the Porshces as my 1M replacement. Here are some pics of the two "brothers Grimm," and the farewell to my pumpkin car. To all my fellow 1M pilots, rest assured there is one M3 pilot out there who has owned both cars, appreciates their pedigree, and respects their contrasting personalities.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Another M3/1M pilot checking in.

There are a few of the M3 pilots that have owned both cars and appreciate both as well. Congrats on the new car, enjoy!
      08-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
bklounge
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Congrats on the m3, but why did you choose to part with the 1m?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 03:41 AM   #4
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Congrats. Hope you enjoy your new ride.

I'm in a similar boat. Thinking of trading my 1M for a used M3 coupe with comp pack. All it will cost me is the price of a set of rear tyres which I need to buy for the 1M anyway, plus a couple of quid extra a month on the lease.

However, when I tested the M3 on Saturday (my 2nd test drive, first was a coupe w/o comp pack) I was still a little disappointed, although I have heard it can take a bit of time to appreciate the car.

Yesterday I had a 80 round trip in the 1M which was just the absolute best, fantastic country roads, superb weather and I just wondered WTF was I doing even entertaining the idea of swapping it. I must be mad.

Anyway, decision not made

All the best with the new car mate, stick around too. Don't be a stranger.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:17 AM   #5
greg k.
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw m3 coupe

I did just the opposite,I traded my M3 for the 1M VO and have zero regrets..

Greg
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:36 AM   #6
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MVO View Post
After 15 months and 11K miles, I bade farewell to my 1M. It's going to a good home and a great owner. [...] There are NO GOOD REASONS to sell this car. There are only excuses. In truth, this is one of the best MT cars I have owned, and I am sad to see it go. However, it was time. I enjoyed every single second of ownership. My 1M always put a giant grin on my face every single day. Better than Prozac, stronger than Vicodin, and cheaper than a hot girlfriend, the quintessential 1-series was the highlight of the day. I searched for a suitable replacement.
Your decision for swapping ///M cars is of course respected (earlier this month you considered taking the plunge for a new 997 4CS after test driving a 997 CS).

Though, notwithstanding the fact that cars and persons are a totally different story/league, I would not like my wife to come up someday with a "there are no good reasons to part ways with you, but it is time" reasoning.

Good luck with your M3 (fine color choice, by the way) and good luck to the Californian pistonhead currently cherishing your ex 1M.

Thanks in advance for staying around over here for a personal experience comparo "1M vs. M3" after some seat time in your M3.
      08-15-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg k. View Post
I did just the opposite,I traded my M3 for the 1M VO and have zero regrets..

Greg
Me too; I consider a wash at the track (maybe slight edge to M3--mine was manual), but 1M way more fun on the street and in the garage (I just love the look!) 997 GT3 awesome soundtrack, but ridiculous on the street and mine ended up upside down and totalled at the track...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #8
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
After receiving many PMs from fellow pilots considering trading their 1M for an M3 (notice I don't use the term upgrade), I figured my reply to one of those PMs might help others with the same indecision:

At first, I felt the DCT might be a dealbreaker for me, having only driven MT for 2 decades and only played with a PDK occassionally. After driving the DCT, however, I realized that it is truly a clutchless manual without torque vectoring. It is very involving in sequential shift mode and great to shift. The beast will squeal its tires from 1-2 and 2-3. It also blips the throttle for you on downshifts. So, no regrets with the tranny. It is not a manual. You can't feather the engine but, it's quite suitable for those who love MT.

There is no drone. The exhaust sounds SUBLIME, like an F1 car. Much deeper than the 1M. Almost a roar during shifts.

The M3 is VERY fast. Due to the DCT, it feels just as fast as the 1M, and both cars reach 80mph in similar times. The FEEL is different, however, getting to speed. The extreme torque of the 1M is absent; however, the huge HP of the M3 pulls much harder than the 1M. Different driving experiences, but both achieve great driver involvement and liveliness.

What the M3 achieves is a degree of comfort, damping, customization via the M-drive, and top end speed that the 1M lacks. No rattles in the M3. Build quality is very good.

I loved both cars. For a versatile, track capable GT car that comfortably fits 4 and has a certain elegance, the M3 wins. For pocket rocket drifting fun, cachet, and owning a legend the 1M is king. Insurance is cheaper on the M3 though.....hope this helps some.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

Quote:

At first, I felt the DCT might be a dealbreaker for me, having only driven MT for 2 decades and only played with a PDK occassionally. After driving the DCT, however, I realized that it is truly a clutchless manual without torque vectoring. It is very involving in sequential shift mode and great to shift. The beast will squeal its tires from 1-2 and 2-3. It also blips the throttle for you on downshifts. So, no regrets with the tranny. It is not a manual. You can't feather the engine but, it's quite suitable for those who love MT.
the problem with DSG is not its speed, its functionality, or how involving it is in the manual mode.

It's the fact that it's not manual. The only connection between man and machine is the steering, the pedals and the stick. Lose the stick and you lose 1/3 of the fun. With paddle shifters, you lose 1/6 of the fun by gaining 1/2 of that 1/3 back.
      08-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
^^^
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

1MVO,
I think you are in denial over this decision you have made. You are getting up there in years and need to face the fact that an automatic transmission fits the bill. I'm totally kidding here!!! Both cars are awesome and I think the E90 M3 and it's engine will be the last of it's kind. DCT, although not a manual is still badass. I just hope you had the buyer of the 1M sign a contract that he won't allow any friends drive the car.

Good writeup in your OP. The fact you stayed with BMW after considering other brands says a lot. The new 991 is just a mini Panamera and has lost it's edge. Until the 991 GT3 (better have a manual option!) the 911 is just a pseudo luxury coupe.
      08-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

This pic makes me sad ... the mirror covers flop down like a sad little puppy being sent away home

The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Congrats man! I went from an E93 M3 to 1M now back to an E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Congrats on the new acquisition!!!

If you ever feed melancholic about the 1///M, we can always meet at the Fresh Market
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1
Congrats on the new acquisition!!!

If you ever feed melancholic about the 1///M, we can always meet at the Fresh Market
Definitely!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
You are so right on so many levels! The new owner promised to hide the keys.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #17
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

That pic of both cars in the garage is One day i hope to have a garage which looks like that. I absolutely love my 1M but that NA engine is just euphoric! I already have half the equation, time to save up for a used comp pack M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
1MVO,
I just hope you had the buyer of the 1M sign a contract that he won't allow any friends drive the car.
Are you poking fun or is the car going where I think its going? hehe

Quote:
You are so right on so many levels! The new owner promised to hide the keys.
THANK GOODNESS!!!
Theres a reason mine spares are locked in a safe when I'm driving the dd!

That pic on the trailer makes me sad I hope I never have to do that to my 1M!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Congrats. Hope you enjoy your new ride.

I'm in a similar boat. Thinking of trading my 1M for a used M3 coupe with comp pack. All it will cost me is the price of a set of rear tyres which I need to buy for the 1M anyway, plus a couple of quid extra a month on the lease.

However, when I tested the M3 on Saturday (my 2nd test drive, first was a coupe w/o comp pack) I was still a little disappointed, although I have heard it can take a bit of time to appreciate the car.

Yesterday I had a 80 round trip in the 1M which was just the absolute best, fantastic country roads, superb weather and I just wondered WTF was I doing even entertaining the idea of swapping it. I must be mad.

Anyway, decision not made

All the best with the new car mate, stick around too. Don't be a stranger.
Test drive mine and see what you think . The S65 engine requires good running in and decent mileage to really loosen up, and I think the unique combination of my 18 inch wheels and ZCP suspension makes for an incredible bumpy B-road blaster. M-DCT takes some thorough understanding and getting used to to get maximum benefits, which the handbook doesn't explain well enough. I honestly think the combination of M-DCT and S65 makes the M3 special. Had the M3 come only in manual - which I feel is a handicap and doesn't match the characteristics of the S65 - I would have bought the 1M instead.

M-DCT can be just an involving as a manual but in a different way - I find myself constantly adjusting the drivelogic setting to suit the road conditions, the way I'm driving and whether I want to snap the necks of my passengers . My favourite feature is the one-pull-downshift-overtake manoeuvre, much like pulling the trigger of a gun.

Last edited by mlhj83; 08-15-2012 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #19
Blue55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post

Are you poking fun or is the car going where I think its going? hehe
It's going where you think it's going.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #20
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
It's going where you think it's going.
Lol! Glad you got thinga sorted out dude, I can't imagine losing my baby!

And FWIW, your local sporting goods stores sell "bolt to floor" safes for <$100, they're great for locking up keys (though I use them to keep other things out of inexperienced hands )

Best of luck with the new ride man!!!! Props for still buying the "fastest" color M!!! Hehe
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #21
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
After receiving many PMs from fellow pilots considering trading their 1M for an M3 (notice I don't use the term upgrade), I figured my reply to one of those PMs might help others with the same indecision:

There is no drone. The exhaust sounds SUBLIME, like an F1 car. Much deeper than the 1M. Almost a roar during shifts.
FWIW, build quality (not interior bits!) of my 1M is superior to my 09 M3 which had

The M3 is VERY fast. Due to the DCT, it feels just as fast as the 1M, and both cars reach 80mph in similar times. The FEEL is different, however, getting to speed. The extreme torque of the 1M is absent; however, the huge HP of the M3 pulls much harder than the 1M. Different driving experiences, but both achieve great driver involvement and liveliness.

What the M3 achieves is a degree of comfort, damping, customization via the M-drive, and top end speed that the 1M lacks. No rattles in the M3. Build quality is very good.

I loved both cars. For a versatile, track capable GT car that comfortably fits 4 and has a certain elegance, the M3 wins. For pocket rocket drifting fun, cachet, and owning a legend the 1M is king. Insurance is cheaper on the M3 though.....hope this helps some.
FWIW, solidity (NO RATTLES) of my 1M distinctly better than my 09 M3, which felt like interior too small for the body (loose and creaky!)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 03:07 AM   #22
Sheil
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Still not sure why you're parting with your 1M for an M3?
Appreciate 0