BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Oil level 3 weeks after oil change.

Hello everyone,

So approx 3 weeks ago I had my oil changed at my local crappy a** BMW dealer. This was a service I requested and paid to have done after the break in period. Yes I know I didn't need it but it gave me piece of mind especially sense I was going to be modding after this fresh oil change.

Sense the oil change I've installed jb4 and a down pipe and driven about 800 miles. When I left the dealership my oil level was reading at the max level line according to the electronic computer (hate we don't have dip sticks). A couple days ago I checked the oil level and it had dropped a bit from the max line maybe like half an inch. I looked under the car and looked like maybe the oil had been dripping a bit on the plastic splash guard. So my guess was that they forgot the crush washer when they reinstalled the drain bolt. Because while I know the oil level may drop over time it shouldn't drop that noticeable about in only 3 weeks and 800 miles later. The car has about 2500 miles now.

Needless to say it was quite a chore to try to get the dealer to understand I wasn't saying that the amount of oil in the car was not sufficient just that I didn't believe in 3 weeks it should have dropped that noticeably. I'm in Spain so there's a language barrier and also in Europe they don't really cater to the customer when it comes to service. They couldn't understand when I tried to describe maybe the washer had not been installed around the oil drain bolt and so it might be a very slow leak.

Another reason this does not seem right to me is because I borrowed my parents 335i when I was back in the states on vacation. I drove it upwards of 5 weeks and put about 2500 miles on it and the oil level stayed at the max line. Also the whole time I was driving my car though break In anytime I looked at the oil it was always at te max level. They are saying they filled it to the max and once the oil circulates through the engine it will read a bit lower. Based off how my car read before the oil change and my parents car this just sounds like a bunch of bs to me. And I'm pretty sure it's not burning oil it's a brand new 2013. I've attached a pic of what the oil is reading now. 3 weeks snd 800 miles ago it read full like I said. Is this anything to worry about or am I just freaking over nothing? Anyone else oil level fluctuate a bit like this?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would check the oil level after driving the car for an hour or so. Often times after I change my oil and put in the proper amount 6.5 quarts(or 6.9L) the oil level will read low(just like in your photo) when the engine is warning up. IF I drive the car longer for 30 minutes to an hour... it will read full then.

Doing lots of short trips can also cause the oil level to read low.Short trips allow water/moister in the oil causing a false reading.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW_oil_condition_sensor.pdf (82.8 KB, 339 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I would check the oil level after driving the car for an hour or so. Often times after I change my oil and put in the proper amount 6.5 quarts(or 6.9L) the oil level will read low(just like in your photo) when the engine is warning up. IF I drive the car longer for 30 minutes to an hour... it will read full then.

Doing lots of short trips can also cause the oil level to read low.Short trips allow water/moister in the oil causing a false reading.
Thanks dack. Can always count on you buddy. A lot of my trips are short as I don't live far from work at all so ill just keep a close eye on it. Btw I'm planning to go to the welt 4.0 meet. I want a sticker but don't have a German bank acct to transfer the payment with as I'm in Spain Ora German address to have it sent to. Sense you know this guy any special way I can get payment to him and get one sent. Maybe through you or something.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwbreed View Post
Thanks dack. Can always count on you buddy. A lot of my trips are short as I don't live far from work at all so ill just keep a close eye on it. Btw I'm planning to go to the welt 4.0 meet. I want a sticker but don't have a German bank acct to transfer the payment with as I'm in Spain Ora German address to have it sent to. Sense you know this guy any special way I can get payment to him and get one sent. Maybe through you or something.

Sure thing buddy. I ordered some extra "Welt 4.0 stickers" just bc I knew there would be some guys who wanted them but did not have an address to send it to. PM me your MPS and I will get one out to you - as soon as I get them. Looking forward to seeing you at our Welt meeting/car show! Btw... for anyone interested in what is Welt 4.0 check out my links bellow...

BMW Welt 4.0!!!
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766766

BMW WELT 3.0 - E8x / E9x Friends United
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...php?p=11922135

BMW WELT Meet 2.0
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534011
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 04:04 AM   #5
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep

Ill pm you my info. Thanks buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Sure thing buddy. I ordered some extra "Welt 4.0 stickers" just bc I knew there would be some guys who wanted them but did not have an address to send it to. PM me your MPS and I will get one out to you - as soon as I get them. Looking forward to seeing you at our Welt meeting/car show! Btw... for anyone interested in what is Welt 4.0 check out my links bellow...

BMW Welt 4.0!!!
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766766

BMW WELT 3.0 - E8x / E9x Friends United
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...php?p=11922135

BMW WELT Meet 2.0
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534011
Appreciate 0