BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-28-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
Wrniknbl
It's just not cricket
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Rubbers - I need some

Now that I have your attention, I'm after a track dedictated tyre for my 135i currently running KWV3, adjustable Camber plates M3 bits front and back sways and adjustable rear arms.

You could say that pretty much the suspension mods are maxed out and now want the right tyre to suit.

My track rims are the 216 OEMS for now and looking at 225/40/18 front and 255/35/18 rear - after emails, google and weeks of searching I'm somewhat closer to making a decision but would appreciate advice from drivers that frequent the track and have a dedicated set up.

Specifically out of the:
Hankook RS3's
Toyo R888
Nitto NT01

Which would you say is a natural progression away from the Michelin PSS but clear step up
i.e.
Will let me know they are slipping before I snap into a wall (still learning)
Have OK tread life 5 + track days or so (if all things are equal)
Not cost a bomb $250 aud a corner or less if possible.

Lastly - I'm not wedded to any of the above choices either, just focused on those options as they are availble in Aus at my price range.

Happy to consider others.

Long post but hopefully it will turn into a useful thread.
      10-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrniknbl View Post
Now that I have your attention, I'm after a track dedictated tyre for my 135i currently running KWV3, adjustable Camber plates M3 bits front and back sways and adjustable rear arms.

You could say that pretty much the suspension mods are maxed out and now want the right tyre to suit.

My track rims are the 216 OEMS for now and looking at 225/40/18 front and 255/35/18 rear - after emails, google and weeks of searching I'm somewhat closer to making a decision but would appreciate advice from drivers that frequent the track and have a dedicated set up.

Specifically out of the:
Hankook RS3's
Toyo R888
Nitto NT01

Which would you say is a natural progression away from the Michelin PSS but clear step up
i.e.
Will let me know they are slipping before I snap into a wall (still learning)
Have OK tread life 5 + track days or so (if all things are equal)
Not cost a bomb $250 aud a corner or less if possible.

Lastly - I'm not wedded to any of the above choices either, just focused on those options as they are availble in Aus at my price range.

Happy to consider others.

Long post but hopefully it will turn into a useful thread.

I was in the same boat as you, question is do you think you are READY for R-comps? How many days do you have and what run groups do you drive in? I waited a good 2.5 years to make the switch, and that was after running V12's -> Star Specs -> R-S3's. But if you're in no hurry, I say go with R-S3's because they're still an improvement over your PSS, almost as sticky as a R-comp and still prove good feedback.

But if you think you're ready to make the move, I would go with R888's (which is what I did). My reasons for choosing R888's were:

1) they are ok to drive to/from track
2) decent wet weather performance
3) a good "intro" R-comp tire that still gives feedback, and allows you to slide to through the turns if they get hot

The downside is they don't wear as well as other R-comps, ie NT01's. But NT01's are a full blown R-comp and I think you really want something in between that still resembles a street tire as you make the transition.

In terms of how long a R-comp will last, they are not measured in days but rather heat cycles. The R888's should be good for 20-25 heat cycles, so assuming 4 sessions per day, that's about 5-6 days. Be sure to get them properly heat cycled from whoever you buy from b/c you're supposed to let them sit for 24 hours after the first heat cycle.
      10-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

RS3s will be the best progression from the PSS.

the communicate very well, and their break away are linear.

I got 2 years out of my RS3s, with dismounting and flipping in the off-season. They aren't even heat cycled out....they just have no tread left
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I would pick RS3 for your needs, for the same reasons as listed above.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I agree with above that an intermediate tyre is probably a good idea. Another option that I've been pretty happy with are the Advan AD08s.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Tirerack has a sale on the RS-3 for the 235/40/18 $189 each if anyone was interested. I am but I think I'm gonna go squared setup for my 128. Just not sure which tire yet.
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 02:57 AM   #7
Wrniknbl
It's just not cricket
Australia
Rep

[QUOTE=3002 Tii;14882891]I was in the same boat as you, question is do you think you are READY for R-comps? How many days do you have and what run groups do you drive in? I waited a good 2.5 years to make the switch, and that was after running V12's -> Star Specs -> R-S3's. But if you're in no hurry, I say go with R-S3's because they're still an improvement over your PSS, almost as sticky as a R-comp and still prove good feedback.

But if you think you're ready to make the move, I would go with R888's (which is what I did). My reasons for choosing R888's were:

1) they are ok to drive to/from track
2) decent wet weather performance
3) a good "intro" R-comp tire that still gives feedback, and allows you to slide to through the turns if they get hot

The downside is they don't wear as well as other R-comps, ie NT01's. But NT01's are a full blown R-comp and I think you really want something in between that still resembles a street tire as you make the transition.

In terms of how long a R-comp will last, they are not measured in days but rather heat cycles. The R888's should be good for 20-25 heat cycles, so assuming 4 sessions per day, that's about 5-6 days. Be sure to get them properly heat cycled from whoever you buy from b/c you're supposed to let them sit for 24 hours after the first heat cycle.[/QUOTE

I've run less than 15 days however quick enough for the instructors to throw me in the advanced group after about 6 days (before most of the suspension mods), but certainly know that I'm probably close to the back end of that group - given the way some other cars with less power seem to fly right by.

Given everyone's valueable feedback I think the RS3's are a sound choice - I'll start there and let you know how I go.

The Farm on the 9th of Nov.....hope someone has these sizes in stock.
      10-29-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Sounds like you have spent considerable time on circuit

If you have a second set of wheels (preferably 17") then it is probably worthwhile fitting competition tyres rather than street tyres (which can subsequently be used as your wet weather tyres). For example, Kumho Ecsta V710, Hoosier R6 ... they are very much more affordable at 17" sizing, and you already have camber to exploit the grip ... in excess of any street tyres.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 02:58 AM   #9
Wrniknbl
It's just not cricket
Australia
Rep

Bought the RS-3's scrubed them in and hit "the farm" yesterday 5.2km track with 23 corners at temps of 30 plus degrees Celsius. The tires absolutely did the job and some. Passed at least one person each session and the only thing holding me back was that I had to let the engine cool towards the end of each run due to high oil temps. Can't see me swapping to semi slicks anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
For what it's worth I went bask to SS Z1's after my R-S3 (came upon a deal I couldn't pass up on and will use them for cold/wet weather days). In any cases I can say the R-S3's must be near R-comp level because I was 1.5-2.0 seconds off pace after "downgrading" to SS and those are great tires to begin with. I even noticed the level of grip just wasn't there and I really had to adjust my driving style, less aggressively and more smoothly else I'd find myself in hairy situations lol.

Point is that one year on R-S3's really allowed me to overdrive the car in certain aspects, grip held on when other tires wouldn't and they definitely compensated for some of my lack or smoothness at times. Basically all the things a R-comp would do for you.