BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-08-2015, 01:06 AM   #1
RATED_M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp

Exclamation JB4 boosting slow issue!!

Hello everyone! I need some advice on what the deal is with my car. I recently did some logging on my laptop and noticed some funky things going on. Its a 2011 with about 29k miles. I also have some questions regarding the JB4 and firmware:

1) What is going on with my AFR? It seems to jump up a little at around 2700rpm.
2) My boost seems to be a little off target between 2000-2500rpm and doesn't have any pick up until that point and then it reaches target. Is this normal?
3) Why is there a fluctuation in my throttle?
4) Am I running the latest firmware and interface software? I had to clip a diode on my processor board to run the ISO versions (much smoother than non-ISO).
5) I believe I have the G4 board but I'm not exactly sure. Can someone verify this? Is it worth the upgrade?

Besides the JB4, the only other mod is a muffler delete. Whenever my car is sitting, I notice this very faint thinking sound (behind all of the injector noise which I know is normal). Its not a consistent sound but I notice it. Almost like a metallic sound . I will upload a video of this on Youtube and share the link. I don't believe its an issue but wouldn't mind some other ears on it. Thank you all in advance for your help. I am supposed to have a catless VRSF downpipes installed within the next 2 days but would like to hear some feedback from Terry or any others who are more experienced than me. I've attached some files below.
Attached Images

2017 Yas Marina Blue ///M3 | Silverstone | DCT
2018 Citrin Black 340xi | Dakota Black | 8-Speed Auto

Last edited by RATED_M; 06-08-2015 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 01:09 AM   #2
RATED_M
Major
United_States
Rep

Forgot to mention this has all been logged on Map 5. Here is a zip file containing 3 logs. Please let me know if there is an issue unzipping the file!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Archive.zip (11.5 KB, 173 views)

Last edited by RATED_M; 06-08-2015 at 01:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 02:07 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

2 things can cause throttle closure.

1- Not having traction control completely off ( keep pressing the DTC button until you see the yellow triangle)

2- overboost. I do see that your car is overboosting.
Contact Burger Tuning technical support and they will change a few settings on your JB4 to fix the overboost issue.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 08:39 AM   #4
RATED_M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com
2 things can cause throttle closure.

1- Not having traction control completely off ( keep pressing the DTC button until you see the yellow triangle)

2- overboost. I do see that your car is overboosting.
Contact Burger Tuning technical support and they will change a few settings on your JB4 to fix the overboost issue.
Thanks for your input Mike. I forgot to mention that for these runs traction control was completely off
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 03:48 AM   #5
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbenda View Post
Besides the JB4, the only other mod is a muffler delete. Whenever my car is sitting, I notice this very faint thinking sound (behind all of the injector noise which I know is normal). Its not a consistent sound but I notice it. Almost like a metallic sound . I will upload a video of this on Youtube and share the link. I don't believe its an issue but wouldn't mind some other ears on it. Thank you all in advance for your help.
do you mean a faint clicking sound or thinking sound at idle?

It looks like you de-soldered the diode instead of cutting it. There is a trace between the top and bottom of the board that runs through the hole which can be damaged if not snipped. The track that the diode connects to does interact with the WG solenoid.

there has been a few rare occurrences where the throttle plate will click at idle with the JB4. You can actually feel the TB click with your hand on it when it happens. Generally this is a bad ground.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 04:08 AM   #6
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbenda View Post
Hello everyone! I need some advice on what the deal is with my car. I recently did some logging on my laptop and noticed some funky things going on. Its a 2011 with about 29k miles. I also have some questions regarding the JB4 and firmware:

1) What is going on with my AFR? It seems to jump up a little at around 2700rpm.
2) My boost seems to be a little off target between 2000-2500rpm and doesn't have any pick up until that point and then it reaches target. Is this normal?
3) Why is there a fluctuation in my throttle?
4) Am I running the latest firmware and interface software? I had to clip a diode on my processor board to run the ISO versions (much smoother than non-ISO).
5) I believe I have the G4 board but I'm not exactly sure. Can someone verify this? Is it worth the upgrade?

Besides the JB4, the only other mod is a muffler delete. Whenever my car is sitting, I notice this very faint thinking sound (behind all of the injector noise which I know is normal). Its not a consistent sound but I notice it. Almost like a metallic sound . I will upload a video of this on Youtube and share the link. I don't believe its an issue but wouldn't mind some other ears on it. Thank you all in advance for your help. I am supposed to have a catless VRSF downpipes installed within the next 2 days but would like to hear some feedback from Terry or any others who are more experienced than me. I've attached some files below.
You have the G5 board. No worries there.
Ok first off, your third gear boost limit value needs to be set to "0".
Secondly, the dip in the throttle is DSC related. Make sure it is completely off before doing a pull.
Thirdly, everything else looks fine. If you want faster response from the turbo, reduce the Auto-Shift boost reduction to a value of 20-50. This will cause the waste gate to close sooner and net you more boost at a lower rpm.
Are you running a methanol injection system? IF not, then the meth settings need to be Zero. (Meth Safety and Meth Trigger)
Also you need to update the firmware to ISO5_8. You can find it here- http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17800

Last edited by Solo_M_Tech; 06-22-2015 at 04:16 AM..
Appreciate 0