BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-12-2015, 03:27 AM   #1
methodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 Le Mans 135i Vert

How bad did I screw up? Broke a metal clip during H8 install.

So I picked up some PIAA H8 4150s and decided to put them on tonight. Driver side I did in 2 minutes, easy breezy. Passenger side was a little bit tougher but I got the bulb in BUT for some reason I couldn't seat the housing back properly. I've done this before and was very simple for me with my small ass hands so I knew the tension I was feeling was too much when putting the cover back on. Anyway I was at that for about an hour checking if I might had maybe pushed a wire out past the housing causing the extra tension but everything looked good to me. Eventually I got tired of it and just figured everything was okay so I just pulled those metal clips on with some brute force and in doing so I ripped the fender side metal clip right out. Now it is just dangling there twisty tied to a cable so I don't lose it.

Any short term issues I should be worried about as it is only being held on by one of the metal clips? Will I have to pull the bumper to get to remove my headlight housing and reinsert that clip?

Thanks guys...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
muddtt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i (E88)

The clip would pop out for me a lot. I just had to remove the cover so I could see what I was working with and reinsert the clip. Unless the plastic broke you should be fine. That side sure is a pain to get back together. I usually unscrewed some screws on top of the headlight so I could flex the light a tiny tiny bit to get a little more room. Still a pain in the butt.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
inFamousKicks
Member.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Unless you broke the tabs that holds that metal clip, it should go right back in there. Check the side you managed to get on and you should find where they sit. Had them come out on me quite few times when changing bulbs.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #4
methodz
First Lieutenant
Rep

I just saw a YouTube of a guy that just pulled the cover off with one hand lol. I don't think mine is that easy. What screws should I remove to get more play? Anyone ever remove the cover without removing anything else?

Thank you all.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
methodz
First Lieutenant
Rep

I fixed it! I think... I didn't realise there were 2 slots at the bottom. I must have pulled up too far when I put the bulbs in and knocked it out of the slot. I was able to realign it and now all is well.

That being said I'm not in love with the PIAA. Has good brightness, way brighter than the Gp thunders I just took out but the color was not what I was expecting. I don't know if there is a break in period for these or not. If not they are going to the marketplace.

Thanks again guys.
Appreciate 0