BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT Convertible

Is this normal behavior for a DCT?

I tried something different with my 2011 135 DCT today and was surprised by what happened. It didn't seem right and I'm curious if they all do this. Just to keep things straight, I'm not talking about launch control. I never had my left foot on the brake. In all cases the car was well warmed up and on a level road. The sport button was pressed and the transmission was in manual mode.

With the DTC left in it's normal start-up setting, or with it half off (short push on button, letter DTC displayed on dash), if I take my foot off the brake and floor the gas there is a slight pause and then the car takes off.

Today I tried this with the DTC all the way off (held button, circle displayed on the dash) and the car didn't move. The engine revved like it was in neutral and the car just sat there. I let off the gas when as it got to about 3,00 or 4,000 RPM and the car had never moved. It felt like it would just continue to rev until it hit the limiter, not a great thing to do to the car. I tried it again later with the same result.

The car is perfectly normal in all other ways so it's hard to think there is anything wrong with it, but this just doesn't seem right. Do they all do this or is something wrong with my car?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Sounds like you enabled launch control without knowing it. Next time bring the revs up (4,000 I think), then take your left foot off the brake and go!
      05-03-2011, 04:18 AM   #3
oman135
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

my car does the same the tires keeps spining for a while then the car moves ! its similar to burnout !
      05-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Aries932
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT

Actually I did a bunch of testing on this and I am pretty positive it is not launch control. If you keep the revs running up at about 5-6k RPM's it will drop the clutch and you will start spinning the tires like crazy.

I do not think it is launch control because 1st gear is supposed to be smooth not jerky...so what I think the car is doing is just slowly releasing the clutch for a smooth take off, but by the time it gets the clutch out you have revved the car to 5-6k RPM's...pretty sure it is not great for the car.

Not to mention bad for your clutch. Just make sure from 1st you dont push the pedal past the kickdown and you will be fine.
      05-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
The car is basically trying to stop you guys from burning out the clutch.
      05-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries932 View Post
Actually I did a bunch of testing on this and I am pretty positive it is not launch control. If you keep the revs running up at about 5-6k RPM's it will drop the clutch and you will start spinning the tires like crazy.

I do not think it is launch control because 1st gear is supposed to be smooth not jerky...so what I think the car is doing is just slowly releasing the clutch for a smooth take off, but by the time it gets the clutch out you have revved the car to 5-6k RPM's...pretty sure it is not great for the car.

Not to mention bad for your clutch. Just make sure from 1st you dont push the pedal past the kickdown and you will be fine.
I was afraid that's what would happen. That's why I backed off before it did anything. It's good to know what mine was doing is normal. Thanks!

I can't imagine why they designed it so that it would go up to 5,000 or 6,000 and drop the clutch. If it truly is an attempt to stop people from burning up the clutch as the next response suggests, it was a strange way to go about it since it seems like it would have the opposite effect.
Appreciate 0