BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
128 headlight options

I searched low and high and did not get much information on aftermarket optional headlights with angle eyes (non HDI).
I dont want to install HDI, mainly because of coding, price and so on, but I would love to have the angle eyes, the standard halogen are just looking too plain.

What options are out there, anyone tried different manufactures?

I found Depos:

http://www.**********s.com/Depo-Headlights-E82.htm

Spec-D Tuning:

http://www.carid.com/2008-bmw-1-seri...ts-348342.html

Spider:

http://www.carid.com/2008-bmw-1-seri...ts-315168.html

Anyone installed any of them and can comment?
Also Drive: 22' Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Waiting for 23' BMW Z4 M40i:
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

I've only ever heard and seen the depo ones. The depo don't require an HID kit, although it is optional, as it uses own bulbs.

Have you considered opening your OEM headlights and just putting led angel eyes in there?
      07-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
I've only ever heard and seen the depo ones. The depo don't require an HID kit, although it is optional, as it uses own bulbs.

Have you considered opening your OEM headlights and just putting led angel eyes in there?
Sounds like a idea, on the other hand, I would get also projector lights and could sell my OEM for some cash, probably cheaper in all.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
JM_128
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128i with M Package

Is there a DIY on how to open the headlights and add the angel eyes?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvitdk View Post
Sounds like a idea, on the other hand, I would get also projector lights and could sell my OEM for some cash, probably cheaper in all.
Sounds great, probably what I would do xD

Also, here is the main thread where we discuss headlights
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...445791&page=14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM_128 View Post
Is there a DIY on how to open the headlights and add the angel eyes?
Not sure. I'm guessing you put the headlights in a oven to soften the glue and then you pop them open. That's generally what people do. I don't think anyone has done it on the 128i, but lots of people do it on the 135i.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429957

The coolest ones are the bavarian x. It has something like 200 LEDS per ring i think. Someone was doing a group buy on the depo headlights with LED rings a la bavarian X but I don't think it ever got enough people
      07-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

actually I found the thread, it was sarracino89 who did it.

He did it on the depo headlights, I am sure it could be do on stock, but no idea how difficult.

Thread:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...07#post8620007
      07-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just to make it even more confusing to chose, here are the Spyder, or Sonor headlights, pre-wired for plug-n-play, with HDI, for "just" 386.- shipped (after 10% off coupon), what do you think?

http://www.360tuners.com/08-10bmwe87...pairblack.aspx

Last edited by alvitdk; 07-12-2012 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just to make it even more confusing to chose, here are the Spyder, or Sonor headlights, pre-wired for plug-n-play, with HDI, for "just" 386.- shipped (after 10% off coupon), what do you think?

http://www.360tuners.com/08-10bmwe87...pairblack.aspx

based from what I have read, these are just as good. the only issue I have seen(from the threads above) is that they mention these sonar angel eyes are NOT upgradeable. The depo's are(they include sockets for you to replace 4 bulbs per eye and many people sell brighter LEDs), but the angel eyes for these are made in a way that they are not accessible. I think the brightness for these are similar to pre-lci 135i, they are bright at night but almost not visible during the day. Of course, I don't own these so I don't know. JUst from what I remember in the threads above

edit: actually, if you check the link in my post above, where I say here is where we discuss the headlights, the last post is a user asking about the SONAR ones. I know many euro people have gotten them : )
      07-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
based from what I have read, these are just as good. the only issue I have seen(from the threads above) is that they mention these sonar angel eyes are NOT upgradeable. The depo's are(they include sockets for you to replace 4 bulbs per eye and many people sell brighter LEDs), but the angel eyes for these are made in a way that they are not accessible. I think the brightness for these are similar to pre-lci 135i, they are bright at night but almost not visible during the day. Of course, I don't own these so I don't know. JUst from what I remember in the threads above

edit: actually, if you check the link in my post above, where I say here is where we discuss the headlights, the last post is a user asking about the SONAR ones. I know many euro people have gotten them : )
I think Sonar are the same, at least they look the same, and.......nothing that cannot be upgraded. since they are using LED's, I could increase the voltage supplied, or open them up and install manually higher powered LED's. There must be some reason I have my masters in Electromechanical engineering

Here is someone from the G6 forum who changed the LED's to higher powered ones, I see no reason why it shouldn't work on the BMW the same:

http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9071

For that price, including error free HDI, can't beat it I guess.

UPDATE: WTH, I just went ahead and ordered the Spyder with HDI in black, I will be the guinea pig for them at let you know how they work out. Will be a busy next week together with my AA tune

Last edited by alvitdk; 07-12-2012 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #10
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think Sonar are the same, at least they look the same, and.......nothing that cannot be upgraded. since they are using LED's, I could increase the voltage supplied, or open them up and install manually higher powered LED's. There must be some reason I have my masters in Electromechanical engineering

Here is someone from the G6 forum who changed the LED's to higher powered ones, I see no reason why it shouldn't work on the BMW the same:

UPDATE: WTH, I just went ahead and ordered the Spyder with HDI in black, I will be the guinea pig for them at let you know how they work out. Will be a busy next week together with my AA tune
Cool! Give us an in depth review. Headlights are probably gonna be one of my mods once my warranty is up in a year. The sonar are popular in europe. I've always been curious, do headlights fall under any legal issues? I know some states don't like if you change your side markers from an orange to any other color(like clear). I wonder if you might get in trouble because of the reflectors not being orange or because of a HID kit.

Anyways, can't wait to see them on your car!
      07-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
chrisN
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw 125i coupe

Garage List
2010 125i  [8.66]
subscribed
      08-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
arthbkins
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Quote:

Any update on your install? I'm seriously considering these also. Would love to hear how the install went and how you like them. What bulb color did you choose - 4000k, 8000k?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe Sport

the experience I have with aftermarket lights is that the light output is terrible, they leak, and they do not hold up well. I have never had ones made for a BMW but friends have had DEPOs on their GTOs and DSMs and they fit like crap, all would get moisture in them, and you couldnt see anything in front of you with them on. I would not put any aftermarket headlights on my cars. Just giving my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #14
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthbkins View Post
Any update on your install? I'm seriously considering these also. Would love to hear how the install went and how you like them. What bulb color did you choose - 4000k, 8000k?
Sorry, I did a new tread on the install here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725428

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 05:30 PM   #15
lnicks20
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i

Halo Headlights

I have owned my 2013 128i for almost a year now and would like to upgrade my headlights. I am looking for the halo design, but don't know where to start. Everywhere I look it seems like the fits only go up to 2011 or 2012.

What would be the best course of action to get halo headlights? Please include estimated costs and links with solutions if you can. Thanks!
Appreciate 0