BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #23
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Do you(or the OP) have the new-er SW update that runs the low pressure fuel pump(LPFP) when you unlock the car door. ?

I think first step in fixing a car is to check for any fault codes. Could also be a bad HPFP too I guess.

As for reading your injectors... I think you have to pull the plastic cover over the valve cover and physically read the bar codes on EACH injector. I don't know if you can read the injector serial number via BMW's code reader. ?
I'm taking it in tomorrow to read faults. I owned my car since new the HPFP was replaced twice, and have had that LPFP sound when I unlock for a long time since the second replacement. I have no long cranks, car starts immediately. Will check tomorrow what they come up with and ask about intake cleaning.
      12-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #24
REVN128
Rep
Drives: '09 128i

Eccentric Shaft Sensor?

My '09 128i idled rough at start and had occasional hesitation when accelerating. It was the Eccentric Shaft Sensor.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #25
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVN128 View Post
My '09 128i idled rough at start and had occasional hesitation when accelerating. It was the Eccentric Shaft Sensor.

For my car other than the early morning cold start issue (when leaving it overnight) I have no problems with hesitation in acceleration, or any rough idling as it is pretty stable through out.

Since my car is running fine for the rest of the day, I don't think its HPFP as that would play up any time of the day. I think the injectors are most probably it, will see if we can confirm it today.
      12-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #26
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

My car also idled a little "off" and rough at a cold start idle until it warmed up. Carbon walnut blasting and a new set of BMW plugs changed that... good luck with the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #27
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Not sure what I have but I have the recall HPFP from previous owner. My car has been acting up in cold weather recently as well. I have been pulling the radiator message in the cluster, as well as the oil message (radiator message when I turn car on; oil message when I turn car off <-- sometimes get the oil message). Have yet to bring it somewhere still trying to diagnose the problem. Car has also been skipping when giving gas on the highway on 4th gear....it shudders and feels weak. I've read this car has some misfiring issues, etc; not sure if its the cold weather or if I should be starting to build some money up for replacements in the new year
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #28
Fed P
Private First Class
Rep

Hi m7ammed, I haven't fixed my issue yet, simply not enough time. However, the conclusion I made for myself is that:
1) I should do carbon cleaning before changing injectors, plugs etc. Reason for this is that I changed my plugs first when I started having issues, and the new ones blackened almost immediately. I don't know if this is fine or not (spark plugs replacements often show the used ones as blackened) but in my opinion carbon cleaning first makes sure I'm not layering problems on top of each other.
2) Following the same idea, do not replace all plugs, coils and injectors simultaneously. There is that temptation to "start fresh" but in reality new parts also have a small chance of being faulty and in order to be able to spot this it's best to change the stuff sequentially.
3) My injectors are the 138 index 06 ones (you can check this after removing the top cover, nothing complicated), so they have a good chance of being part of the defect batch. Since the recall isn't valid here though, I am holding off a bit before I spend 720 bucks on injectors, especially considering 1). My injectors are also covered with black gunk on the tips.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #29
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 16' m4

I had this exact problem about 8000kms into my 135i. It was a faulty fuel injector in cylinder 6. BMW swapped it out and its been great ever since Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #30
Fed P
Private First Class
Rep

In fact it is my injector 6 that is the biggest issue as well... It even fits into the slot differently (have to apply way more force to insert it and it is much harder to pull out as well). Sorry for the innuendo, there was no way around it I could think of!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #31
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep

I noticed today that I get a whistling sound ( see video below) it went after 20 seconds or so. Was suppose to take the car to the dealer today, but got busy. The advisor checked and I last replaced my Sparks 65k kms ago so they need replacing so I told them when I bring in the car tomorrow to read faults and replace the plugs anyway as they need replacing. Also, I will let them see which cylinders are misfiring and swap coils and I will take the car and check it next day and bring it back if the issue is there to read the codes.

Note: when the rpm drops and then goes back up that was the engine on its own, not me.

Last edited by m7ammed; 12-18-2012 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #32
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep

OK misfiring is on cylinder 1,2 and 3. Spark plugs changed, and coils swapped around will see how it starts tomorrow and if the misfiring moves.
      12-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #33
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Ok started it up this morning, had a long crank and then engine light and the engine shut down. I'm starting to wonder if its the HPFP, but wouldn't that play up all the time?
Going to read the codes and see what they say.

Update:

Got the codes read and same cylinders are misfiring, dealer says it is the injectors so ordered 6 from ECStuning.com with the installation kit. Prices at the dealer here are more than double what ECS tuning are selling them for

Last edited by m7ammed; 12-20-2012 at 01:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 02:51 AM   #34
Fed P
Private First Class
Rep

Heh, I also ordered 6 from the same place, waiting on them now.

I still plan to do a carbon cleaning before sticking them in there though =)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #35
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed P View Post
Heh, I also ordered 6 from the same place, waiting on them now.

I still plan to do a carbon cleaning before sticking them in there though =)
ECStuning.com are on back order (3-5 weeks) so had to order them from here
https://www.trademotion.com/partloca...72&catalogid=0

Also nobody on this side, knows what walnut blasting is. Going to take my car to Bahrain (50 kms from Saudi Arabia from where I live) and go to a garage that a friend of my trusts to get injectors replaced and intake cleaned manually. Also ordered intake gaskets (BMW part# 11617547242) so it can be replaced with the cleaning.

Last edited by m7ammed; 12-20-2012 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #36
Ihave1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I'm having the same issue when my car sits out in the cold all day at work. It shakes under partial throttle until it heats up. Seems to be worse if the heat/AC is on, probably due to the increased engine loading. Today I got my first misfire on cylinder 1 with the following codes.
P29CD - misfire cylinder 1
HSAAF - fuel pump plausability
H2FDB - Short circuit or signal interruption
H2FCA - Short circuit or signal interruption
H2FDA - Short circuit or signal interruption
Most of these codes I cant find much info about. Especially the short circuit ones.
I am going to check all my ECU wires and coil connections. I plan on swapping coil 1 and 2 to see if it follows that. My plugs were replaced less than 5k miles ago. Seems like it could be a leaky injector. If so, I may try to code that myself with a D-CAN cable and INPA.

I hope its not the HPFP because that was replaced last year and my warranty is out.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #37
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihave1 View Post
I'm having the same issue when my car sits out in the cold all day at work. It shakes under partial throttle until it heats up. Seems to be worse if the heat/AC is on, probably due to the increased engine loading. Today I got my first misfire on cylinder 1 with the following codes.
P29CD - misfire cylinder 1
HSAAF - fuel pump plausability
H2FDB - Short circuit or signal interruption
H2FCA - Short circuit or signal interruption
H2FDA - Short circuit or signal interruption
Most of these codes I cant find much info about. Especially the short circuit ones.
I am going to check all my ECU wires and coil connections. I plan on swapping coil 1 and 2 to see if it follows that. My plugs were replaced less than 5k miles ago. Seems like it could be a leaky injector. If so, I may try to code that myself with a D-CAN cable and INPA.

I hope its not the HPFP because that was replaced last year and my warranty is out.
I'm no expert, but short circuit would mean something electrical, no? My guess is coils if its.
      12-22-2012, 02:04 AM   #38
Fed P
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m7ammed View Post
ECStuning.com are on back order (3-5 weeks) so had to order them from here
https://www.trademotion.com/partloca...72&catalogid=0

Also nobody on this side, knows what walnut blasting is. Going to take my car to Bahrain (50 kms from Saudi Arabia from where I live) and go to a garage that a friend of my trusts to get injectors replaced and intake cleaned manually. Also ordered intake gaskets (BMW part# 11617547242) so it can be replaced with the cleaning.
Yeah, I ordered because they were "In Stock" but there was only 1 actually in stock. However, they are still promising to ship them on the 26th.

I plan to do the carbon cleaning myself, seems doable, plus I no longer trust the dealerships here to do anything right.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #39
Ihave1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm no expert, but short circuit would mean something electrical, no? My guess is coils if its.
Hopefully, but the injectors are also electrical and the fuel pump and pretty much everything else in the car....
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #40
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihave1 View Post
Hopefully, but the injectors are also electrical and the fuel pump and pretty much everything else in the car....
The error for my car was something along the line of fuel injection system or something similar
      12-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #41
Ihave1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I just swapped the coil for cylinder 1 and cylinder 2. I also cleaned all the electrical contacts for cylinder 1 (injector and coil). I decided to check the spark plugs and cylinder 1 was uniformly black while cylinder 2 had some white on the outside. We'll see what happens. I'm about to reset all the adaptations with the BT cable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #42
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:

Update:

Got the codes read and same cylinders are misfiring, dealer says it is the injectors so ordered 6 from ECStuning.com with the installation kit. Prices at the dealer here are more than double what ECS tuning are selling them for
Once you get new fuel injectors in... you will need to have them coded. They will work and the engine will run. I just would not push the engine hard until you have the injectors coded.

Btw... most dealers will just update the car's SW when they code the injectors. So you might ask them IF they can only code them. I wouldn't want you to get the "lag SW" that BMW seems to be handing out for our cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #43
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Once you get new fuel injectors in... you will need to have them coded. They will work and the engine will run. I just would not push the engine hard until you have the injectors coded.

Btw... most dealers will just update the car's SW when they code the injectors. So you might ask them IF they can only code them. I wouldn't want you to get the "lag SW" that BMW seems to be handing out for our cars.
Its already on the latest software, since they installed that cable issue 2 months back. I'm not fitting them at the dealer going to a shop to install them and they will also clean the intake. Can't trust the dealer as they want to remove the head to do the clean and do t seem to know what I was talking about. They guys I'm taking them to have latest gt1 and isis tools.

Plus I have the tune and fmic on my modding list so no problem with bmw software just a couple of months down the road
      12-23-2012, 05:22 AM   #44
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
My 335i had same symptoms on cold start. If I drove off immediately, no problems, and car smoothens out after it warms up. However, I also was blowing black smoke out of tail pipes on WOT.

Did walnut shell blasting, and replaced all 6 spark plugs. Found plugs 1 to 3 were fouled (black w/ fuel smell). Afterwards, black smoke on WOT is now gone, but cold start issue is still there.

Pretty sure it's my bank 1 injectors. I had those injectors replaced under warranty, but bank 2 is still the original. Go figure.

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0