BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

DIY/Review - Dodo Juice Supernatural Infinity Nano Paint Sealant

As the title says, I'm going to be doing a full write up for a DIY with a review of the Dodo Juice Supernatural Infinity Nano Paint Sealant. This was my first time using such a product, so it should be a fairly good comparison for anyone else that wants to tackle such a procedure.

Before I start, fair warning: Use this product at your own risk, please read the warning carefully and follow the instructions. Anyone that is said in this thread is strictly from my experience, and might not work on all cars. Use this product in a well ventilated area!!!

Warnings and product application directions here: http://www.detailedimage.com/product...pplication.pdf

So, if you weren't scared away by that warning, lets start!

Dodo Juice Supernatural Infinity Nano Paint Sealant is a direct competitor of 22PLE and like products. Dodo Juice claims that protection can be had as much as 24 months! Full description below:

Quote:
Supernatural Infinity Nano Paint Sealant will leave behind an incredible amount of gloss and protection lasting 18 - 24 months in one easy to use coating! This product is a truly unique form of protection that is unlike traditional sealants or waxes but applies just as easy. Supernatural Infinity Nano Paint Sealant utilizes a quartz formula that leaves behind a hard barrier of paint protection between your paint and harmful environmental elements. It will protect against UV rays, road salt, airborne contaminants, bird droppings and more, while contamination will not readily stick to the surface. The protection is strong but also extremely durable making it far superior to traditional waxes and sealants. Sealants and waxes will generally provide you with up to 6 months of protection, however you can expect a whopping 18-24 months with the Supernatural Infinity Nano Paint Sealant! Achieve a deep, wet, glossy, slick finish with the Dodo Juice Supernatural Infinity Nano Paint Sealant!
Step 1: Wash the car thoroughly. I would probably go to the point of saying that you want to wash the car as if it is going to be displayed in a Contours event the next day. The product needs the car to be as clean as possible, any dirt, grime...etc will hurt the durability. This is a good time to strip any existing protection as well. Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss is a good product. I personally used Chemical Guys Maxi Suds mixed with Meguiars D104 APC+. APC will help strip anything left on the paint...in my case Wolfgang 3.0 Sealant.

Step 2: Dry the car, dry, dry, dry....Did I mention dry the car? The product cannot make any contact with water for 24 hours while curing. The directions actually state up to 72 hours. I would say, the longer the better. I actually washed the car the night before, and stored it in the garage overnight to let it dry.

Step 3: Do any correction or claying as needed. This is another ideal step to preping the surface to be as clean as possible. I clayed by car and used a Makita 9227c with a black LCC pad with Menzerna PO85RD. Considering my car only had 8,000 miles on the car, I figured this was enough.

Step 4: Wipe the surface down with 50/50 Water/Isopropyl Alcohol mix. This will actually help remove the fillers from the polish, remove any protection that would just happen to be left behind after polishing, and dry the paint surface one more time...alcohol is the magic behind this:

Step 5: Okay, we are finally able to start applying the product! The lint-free towel will be used for removal. It is a good idea to order some extra, fresh microfiber towels (I ordered 3). One was used for applying the product, and the other 2 were for final wiping and cleaning up.

You do NOT need much product for a given body panel. You will want to apply enough to a microfiber towel to do 1/2 of a panel. If you do too much, you won't be able to level off the product quick enough and you'll be left with a sticky panel...which I will explain later.

A little spot, as pictured is plenty. Start to wipe the product around the panel, on lighter cars it is extremely difficult to see where you're actually applying....and your head will most likely look like this:

Now the idea is to start leveling the product with your lint-free towel during the drying process. Unlike wax or sealant, you DO NOT want it to dry completely/flash over...etc. A typical timeline given was 2-5 minutes. I found that 2 minutes was the perfect time to start leveling off the coating. You're not actually removing the product, more so just spreading the coating around evenly to ensure complete coverage. If you started to level off too early, you will streak the product again. It was a very touchy flashover point.

The coating starting to "bubble"

Leveling off:

Done!

After a couple of panels, you'll start to notice that the coating will start to "bubble" when it is just about time to start leveling the product.

Now, if you let the product dry a bit too much, you'll notice that your lint-free towel will start to "stick" to the panel. This isn't good. Simply just apply a bit more product and re-start the process. If you don't do this, you'll see very quickly that the product will smear, and be a utter pain in the....well you know where this is going.

This process will take some time, so please allow that. It took me around 3 hours to apply and "level" the coating around the whole car. Please take your time, unlike wax or sealant...which can be removed and "undone" fairly easy...this will need to be polished out of the paint if you screw up. Better safe than sorry here as well.

After leveling the panel, I took a MF towel and went back over the panel to ensure no hazing or streaking was present. I made sure this was a good 10 minutes after leveling to make sure the product was dry, and not a sticky feeling. This will take time to realize when it is okay to do so.

Now, Dodo Juice (via DetailedImage) told me that the product is not recommended for glass or clear bra...as well as plastic. Well, I went against their word and did all of the above. I applied the coating to headlights, taillights, glass and clear bra with no ill effects. I will mention though, I did observe a lot of streaking on the windshield...This could be because the lint-free towel was used quite a bit and could have some excess residue left on it from other panels OR the product just doesn't like glass as much. Some elbow grease and this wasn't an issue anymore.

Doing some glass:

So, here is my official rating and review:

COST: 8/10 - One of the best priced coatings per mL on the market. However spending $79.99 isn't for everyone.

EASE of USE: 6/10 - The product isn't for the faint of heart. It required constant attention, making sure the product wasn't over drying/streaking...etc

DURABILITY: TBD - The car will see full winter duties, so we will have to see how beading is maintained throughout the year. I will be happy to see a year worth of protection before degrading.

BEADING: 9/10 - One of the best beading I've seen from any product I've used. It will be interesting how well it will hold up. The water rolls over very easily.

PROTECTION: 10/10 - What really impressed me is how well this protects. I know this is really early, as I've only had the product on the car for 2 weeks, but cleaning the car was too easy. Washing with a mitt, the car felt like glass. The mitt was sliding all over the car with just some simple soap. Bugs that were plastered all over the car, which we all know are a paint to remove once baked on the car, simply slid off the car. I was sold instantly...and I've never saw that before.

Onto more pictures!

Reflection off on a headlight? Say it aint so!

Thanks in advance! I'll update information as necessary with extended testing and/or any edits to the review
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Great review and write up!
I too also love Dodo Juice!
      10-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Very nice job!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
Great review and write up!
I too also love Dodo Juice!
Thanks!

I'm becoming more and more of a fanboy with the products I use from them. I have Hard Candy and Rainforest Rub and haven't seen any depth like that before on any car I've done with other waxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Very nice job!
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

I have purple haze, orange crush and diamond white....nothing makes those specific paints look better than those waxes.

I am disappointed in dodo juice basics of bling shampoo. It's not very good at removing bugs and such even with opti coat already applied.