BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-09-2016, 10:26 AM   #23
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post

Change the oil, get a sample of the old oil to blackstone labs as others have suggested. They will tell you lots of good info especially how much longer you could have gone on the oil sample you sent them. If they say something like you could have gone 10K more miles on that oil, then yeah it's probably been changed recently.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com
Those lab test results, and about $1.50, will get you a copy of your local paper
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #24
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

Talking The Best Entertainment on the Net!

What a thread! Not only is the OP getting tons of car advice, he is getting psychological and even a book to read to make him a better person. This is a one stop forum guaranteed to fix your car and mental problems!

I do know exactly what dealers and used car lots do to peddle a car - as little as possible. They have detail guys, usually independent contractors, go over the car to make it as pretty as possible. As for mechanical work, if anything is loose or hanging down, they tighten or bolt it back up.

Even the high end dealers like BMW or Mercedes, don't do anymore than absolutely necessary. If a vehicle isn't in decent shape to begin with, they'll send it to auction. The most valuable thing you can get in a deal is some sort of warranty like a CPO or some written agreement that'll cover some specified items for some length of time.

As far as the paint work, they'll send it to Maaco!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 03:41 PM   #25
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 370z trading for 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rooty Von Tooty View Post
What a thread! Not only is the OP getting tons of car advice, he is getting psychological and even a book to read to make him a better person. This is a one stop forum guaranteed to fix your car and mental problems!

I do know exactly what dealers and used car lots do to peddle a car - as little as possible. They have detail guys, usually independent contractors, go over the car to make it as pretty as possible. As for mechanical work, if anything is loose or hanging down, they tighten or bolt it back up.

Even the high end dealers like BMW or Mercedes, don't do anymore than absolutely necessary. If a vehicle isn't in decent shape to begin with, they'll send it to auction. The most valuable thing you can get in a deal is some sort of warranty like a CPO or some written agreement that'll cover some specified items for some length of time.

As far as the paint work, they'll send it to Maaco!
Hahahaha, I know right, I feel like a complete person and no longer need any crazy pills. I would love for them to send it to maaco, I'm sure they would do a better job, but it would be more expensive than if they do it in house I bet. I'm also going to have to battle them for a rental even though they declined. A rental for 3 days will cost half of what I was quoted to have the paint fixed from a reputable shop. If carmax decides to take longer (which I'm sure they will), I would end up paying more for the rental than the paint work itself. Plus if they pay for the rental, perhaps it will speed up the process. This ought to be entertaining to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 05:57 PM   #26
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
It takes time and money to get the oil analysis results out and back, what are you going to do with the car in the mean time? Either not drive it to be safe or drive it with the belief that there's a possibility the oil is not good? Either scenario makes no sense to me. I would just change the oil and not expend mental energy worrying about it.

If you're distrustful of the company where you bought your car from why did you do business with them in the first place?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 06:40 PM   #27
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
It takes time and money to get the oil analysis results out and back, what are you going to do with the car in the mean time? Either not drive it to be safe or drive it with the belief that there's a possibility the oil is not good? Either scenario makes no sense to me. I would just change the oil and not expend mental energy worrying about it.

If you're distrustful of the company where you bought your car from why did you do business with them in the first place?
You guys are taking this way out of proportion. I just wanted to look at the oil visually to make sure it was fresh. That's it. I didn't need to send it out for analyzing. No reason to respond if you're just going to comment with unrelated mentions. I found my answer, you can't. I'll get it changed if I feel the need.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #28
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z-135i View Post
You guys are taking this way out of proportion. I just wanted to look at the oil visually to make sure it was fresh. That's it. I didn't need to send it out for analyzing. No reason to respond if you're just going to comment with unrelated mentions. I found my answer, you can't. I'll get it changed if I feel the need.
I would recommend taking off the oil fill cap and shine a flashlight in there to look for any signs of sludge. Second, you can take off the oil filter cap (carefully), to see how the oil filter looks (check for any sludge, tears, etc.). If both of these inspections look good, I would just change your oil after 3000 miles for piece of mind. Did they tell you what oil they used for your oil change?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 08:26 PM   #29
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
I would recommend taking off the oil fill cap and shine a flashlight in there to look for any signs of sludge. Second, you can take off the oil filter cap (carefully), to see how the oil filter looks (check for any sludge, tears, etc.). If both of these inspections look good, I would just change your oil after 3000 miles for piece of mind. Did they tell you what oil they used for your oil change?
That's a good call, thank you. I'm sure they did change it, I'll just have to take their word for it. From what I hear, Carmax uses cheap filters and I have no idea what type of oil they used. Lessons learned after the fact.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 08:53 PM   #30
rob24ert
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Did you not look at the vehicle before purchasing? In person?

I just bought my car low KM as well. You cant scrutinize Carmax for that. Most people do not care about little stuff here and there, and if you were going to be nitpicking, why not get the car from somewhere else? You saved some money from buying at Carmax, and car comes with some little cosmetic dings.

I dont want to sound like a dick, and your situation sucks, but you can't blame Carmax for your lack of due diligence. Just get an oil change and now you are set to drive
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 11:23 PM   #31
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob24ert View Post
Did you not look at the vehicle before purchasing? In person?

I just bought my car low KM as well. You cant scrutinize Carmax for that. Most people do not care about little stuff here and there, and if you were going to be nitpicking, why not get the car from somewhere else? You saved some money from buying at Carmax, and car comes with some little cosmetic dings.

I dont want to sound like a dick, and your situation sucks, but you can't blame Carmax for your lack of due diligence. Just get an oil change and now you are set to drive
You do kind of sound like a d$&@ though. You are commenting without knowing the full story. I did inspect the freaking car and in person. I wiped my hand across almost every panel. I missed the freaking touch up job, you could have missed it too. I wouldn't be annoying the crap out of you telling you that you should have looked harder. I would have given support and told you to go in and say something. I don't know where you get your info, but you do not save money buying at carmax. You are paying full retail price my friend. I chose carmax and paid a high price to avoid typical dealer bull. I trusted carmax and paid a premium from them for peace of mind I was buying a clean car.

I didn't ask for your opinion on what you think is reasonable as far as cosmetic flaws are concerned. You are happy to cower and just let a company hide damage and crap on you then that's sad. Do some research and look at their standards for inspections. PAINT is on there and they even mention that valuemax cars will have small flaws, but not carmax cars. I stood up for myself and that's why they are painting my bumper. Hopefully you catch every flaw of every car you buy cause you're going to just suck it up even if it's not right. Sad that people are so accepting of this. I'm not freaking nitpicking, that is a huge flaw. Touch up paint blends in well with black so I didn't notice until I waxed it. Had I seen it in the 5 day return period, they would have happily painted it so I would keep the car. Or if I noticed before I purchased it. What the heck is the difference if I notice it a 3 days later? Does it make it okay? Hell no in my book. They purposely duped the buyer and delivered an unacceptable product.

I just asked about the oil man, why do people keep responding about carmax or the car anymore. I can unload about doing my diligence and buying used cars from any dealer. I just asked if I could check the oil manually. I know I can't now, so please everyone just give it a rest with the carmax crap. I explained the story as entertainment because of the oil sticker comment. I don't care about anymore opinions on what I should or shouldn't have done, I came out on top. I get it, I'll just get the oil changed.
Attached Images

Last edited by 370z-135i; 01-09-2016 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 12:11 AM   #32
ChillFill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport Coupé

buy some 1500 and 2000 wet sand paper, good compound (ardex is top notch), and a buffer. takes any minor and mild scratches right out, and makes paint look better than factory
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 12:23 AM   #33
rob24ert
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I was misinformed. I thought carmax was 'cheaper' rather than being 'premium'. No having damage on a car is not acceptable, but neither is noticing it after a week. Could have damaged it yourself and trying to blame Carmax (not saying thats the case).

Again sorry about your situation. My vehicle had a mark like that on the rear bumper, the BMW dealership had the area re-painted and blended and it is 99% unnoticeable.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 12:59 AM   #34
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
I'll get it changed if I feel the need.
Quote:
That's a good call, thank you. I'm sure they did change it, I'll just have to take their word for it. From what I hear, Carmax uses cheap filters and I have no idea what type of oil they used. Lessons learned after the fact.
This is why everyone is telling you to change your oil now. You know that extremely hot turbo's and non synthetic oil do not go well together. There's an oil standard (LL-01) that BMW calls for in the N54/55 . It doesn't matter if they put brand new oil, if it's cheap oil then kaboom. If you want to chance the oil caking up and blowing out your turbo's or engine over $70 that's your prerogative.

Last edited by ErvGotti; 01-10-2016 at 01:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 01:53 AM   #35
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post
This is why everyone is telling you to change your oil now. You know that extremely hot turbo's and non synthetic oil do not go well together. There's an oil standard (LL-01) that BMW calls for in the N54/55 . It doesn't matter if they put brand new oil, if it's cheap oil then kaboom. If you want to chance the oil caking up and blowing out your turbo's or engine over $70 that's your prerogative.
Good call. That was the exact purpose for this post and you're answer was what I feel is the best route. The small lessons learned will go a long way in the future. Thanks buddy.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 07:47 AM   #36
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

Oil is cheap! If you are worried about the oil, then change it.

Regarding paint work, you'd be surprised who does this. There are little shops all over the place that do specialized work for dealers and car lots. For example, in my town, Mercedes send their paint and minor body work to a little shop in an old two-bay garage. This guy gets a lot of work from owners of high end cars including mine due to his excellent work, and he doesn't have any fancy equipment like a paint booth.

If you have ever kept an eye on car dealers or lots, you'd find all sorts of characters showing up to detail vehicles, remove dents from hail, repair wheels, certain types of engine service, and many other things. Oh and Maaco? I wouldn't let them paint my dog house.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2016, 09:04 AM   #37
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

If you are not sure, just change the damn oil. Learn to do it yourself, can be done for $50.

I bought a used car, no idea about history, so assumed the worst. Changed the oil every 1000 km until it started draining nearly new looking. Took four oil changes. Now I KNOW the oil is good.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 09:19 AM   #38
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
If you are not sure, just change the damn oil. Learn to do it yourself, can be done for $50.

I bought a used car, no idea about history, so assumed the worst. Changed the oil every 1000 km until it started draining nearly new looking. Took four oil changes. Now I KNOW the oil is good.
Do any of you guys read the dang posts. My last post was, "Good call. That was the exact purpose for this post and you're answer was what I feel is the best route. The small lessons learned will go a long way in the future. Thanks buddy."

That means I agree, and I'm going to change the oil. Give the vindictive comments a rest dude. I get it, dealers are weasels, I will be even more diligent next time. You are knocking me because I cannot trust my fellow man to do the right thing. That is one of the biggest downfalls of society. I don't live my life that way nor should any person or business.

You act like you guys never make mistakes. I'm sure you have made millions of car mistakes and you have been swindled or crapped on by a dealer. Instead of sorry about your luck due, you give me a bunch of crap for asking if I can check the oil quality manually. Pretty sad. I don't expect any of you to change your opinions, but just keep your pie holes shut if you have nothing constructive or helpful to say.

I got my answer, now leave it alone. You are sticking up for all the weasel dealerships and saying it's okay because it's par for the course. You must have no integrity either. I don't care if everyone does it, it's not right. Get over it man, I'll change the oil. And yes, I am fully aware the paint is going to come out crappier than the touch up, but at least I made my point. I am a soldier, I don't just sit down and take everything people throw at me.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #39
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z-135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post

Do any of you guys read the dang posts. My last post was, "Good call. That was the exact purpose for this post and you're answer was what I feel is the best route. The small lessons learned will go a long way in the future. Thanks buddy."

That means I agree, and I'm going to change the oil. Give the vindictive comments a rest dude. I get it, dealers are weasels, I will be even more diligent next time. You are knocking me because I cannot trust my fellow man to do the right thing. That is one of the biggest downfalls of society. I don't live my life that way nor should any person or business.

You act like you guys never make mistakes. I'm sure you have made millions of car mistakes and you have been swindled or crapped on by a dealer. Instead of sorry about your luck due, you give me a bunch of crap for asking if I can check the oil quality manually. Pretty sad. I don't expect any of you to change your opinions, but just keep your pie holes shut if you have nothing constructive or helpful to say.

I got my answer, now leave it alone. You are sticking up for all the weasel dealerships and saying it's okay because it's par for the course. You must have no integrity either. I don't care if everyone does it, it's not right. Get over it man, I'll change the oil. And yes, I am fully aware the paint is going to come out crappier than the touch up, but at least I made my point. I am a soldier, I don't just sit down and take everything people throw at me.
So are you going to change the oil or what?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #40
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
So are you going to change the oil or what?
I think we should demand PROOF, like a scanned bill from his garage
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #41
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I think we should demand PROOF, like a scanned bill from his garage
hahahahaha, you guys are too funny. I promise I will do it. I give in, you guys win. Better to be safe than sorry and potentially get I told you so's from all of you. I'd rather die.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 04:54 PM   #42
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Give the vindictive comments a rest dude.

Wouldn't that be a 2 way street?

Quote:
I get it, dealers are weasels, I will be even more diligent next time. You are knocking me because I cannot trust my fellow man to do the right thing. That is one of the biggest downfalls of society. I don't live my life that way nor should any person or business.

I believe it's been stated several times that the touch-up paint may not have been the dealerships doing. So 'if you don't live your life that way' it's wrong of you to accuse them W/O proof. At current, it's a 50/50 shot at who didn't inform who of the touch-up.

Furthermore, you're buying a used car. There is no reason you should expect EVERYTHING to be in absolute like new condition. That is your mistake. I don't know of a single used car that won't have a flaw vs new. If you don't understand that, you shouldn't buy a used car again.

I'm sure you're probably a good guy. But you're not doing yourself any favors by trying to continually defend yourself from the internet. Your best option is to let this thread die.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 05:27 PM   #43
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
I'm amazed this thread is still going. As countless others have said, you need to relax and stop trying to right every wrong in the world. It's too exhausting and you'll never make a dent.

Like I said before, I purchased my 135i from CarMax. I am 100% sure they use synthetic oil. It's probably not the best, but it's not going to grenade your engine either. Regardless, my car rolled over 30,000 miles shortly after I purchased it, so I had a fresh oil service performed along with Inspection II at my local independent garage. I'm surprised to see someone so concerned about oil to begin with. Did you not purchase the warranty? Wait, let me guess: you probably think it's a scam to screw you over.

2012 BMW 135i Space Grey Metallic M-Sport DCT Dinan S2
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 05:54 PM   #44
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast