BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-26-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

New tires for 1M: Dunlop Sport Maxx Race

Available in stock sizes. Category: streetable track & competition.

For details like sizes, specs and a few first user reviews follow the link below. And if anybody has already tried them, please post impressions.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....11&autoModel=1 Series M Coupe&autoModClar=
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Available in stock sizes. Category: streetable track & competition.

For details like sizes, specs and a few first user reviews follow the link below. And if anybody has already tried them, please post impressions.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....11&autoModel=1 Series M Coupe&autoModClar=
I've been thinking about picking up a set to try. The 991 GT3 will likely have these as one of the OE choices, should be a top tier streetable track tire. Not cheap, not great in the wet, great in the dry. The one test I've seen (sport auto) has them slightly slower than the Pirelli Trofeo in the wet, roughly equal in the dry.
      04-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
I've been thinking about picking up a set to try. The 991 GT3 will likely have these as one of the OE choices, should be a top tier streetable track tire. Not cheap, not great in the wet, great in the dry. The one test I've seen (sport auto) has them slightly slower than the Pirelli Trofeo in the wet, roughly equal in the dry.
Was that comparing with the Trofeo R? What about heat cycles? I am looking at the next set to replace the PSS, and have no idea what to go with. Yokahama is putting the AD08R to replace its AD08 and supposed to be 2 seconds faster on a 1 minute track, so it would be good to know if it is a good option but probably don't have our size to start off with.

I will seriously consider the Dunlop if normal driving is not going to heat cycle the tire.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Was that comparing with the Trofeo R? What about heat cycles? I am looking at the next set to replace the PSS, and have no idea what to go with. Yokahama is putting the AD08R to replace its AD08 and supposed to be 2 seconds faster on a 1 minute track, so it would be good to know if it is a good option but probably don't have our size to start off with.

I will seriously consider the Dunlop if normal driving is not going to heat cycle the tire.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm
Doesn't say about heat cycles, but as they are going to be OEM for the GT3 I assume they will probably not heat cycle on the street. Too new to have much info on them. From what I've read they need some heat to work, which is consistent with them getting the best score in the dry in the test above but doing poorly in the wet.

I'm debating between putting a set of these on the 19s for the summer or going with Dunlop Direzza ZIIs on 18s. I assume the Sport Maxx Race would be slightly faster.
      04-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm
Doesn't say about heat cycles, but as they are going to be OEM for the GT3 I assume they will probably not heat cycle on the street. Too new to have much info on them. From what I've read they need some heat to work, which is consistent with them getting the best score in the dry in the test above but doing poorly in the wet.

I'm debating between putting a set of these on the 19s for the summer or going with Dunlop Direzza ZIIs on 18s. I assume the Sport Maxx Race would be slightly faster.
Thanks for this. I am still waiting to hear back from Pirelli Motorsport about the heat cycle issues re the Trofeo R and is supposed to be faster than the Trofeo and last twice as long. It is only coming in at $400 extra than the PSS if I get the tire locally, but it will probably last 1/3 as long. However, I think I will heat cycle the PSS out before the thread runs out.

So, I think the Dunlop is still probably the best choice for me for my next set of tyres especially if the price is similar to the Trofeo Rs.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Thanks for this. I am still waiting to hear back from Pirelli Motorsport about the heat cycle issues re the Trofeo R and is supposed to be faster than the Trofeo and last twice as long. It is only coming in at $400 extra than the PSS if I get the tire locally, but it will probably last 1/3 as long. However, I think I will heat cycle the PSS out before the thread runs out.

So, I think the Dunlop is still probably the best choice for me for my next set of tyres especially if the price is similar to the Trofeo Rs.
Do you plan to keep tires on the car all the time, outside the track as well? And how do you drive your car, DD or just week-ends and track duty? One of the reviewers in that tire rack link owns a C63AMG and tested them first on a AMG event to launch these tires and later with his own car and warns strongly against having them as the only tire. This is not the same category as the PSS for sure. However, if you use the car only at good, hot and dry weather and mostly for fun events I assume they may be the only tire.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep

I just ordered a set. I'll take the PSS off and have the Maxx Race on before next weekend. I plan to keep these on (and wear them out) over the summer, then switch back to PSS when it starts too cool off and rain.

I read a review of the ZIIs yesterday that said they are very precise but they don't like being driven sideways as much as say an R-S3. Hoping the BFG Rivals come in more sizes soon.
      04-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Do you plan to keep tires on the car all the time, outside the track as well? And how do you drive your car, DD or just week-ends and track duty? One of the reviewers in that tire rack link owns a C63AMG and tested them first on a AMG event to launch these tires and later with his own car and warns strongly against having them as the only tire. This is not the same category as the PSS for sure. However, if you use the car only at good, hot and dry weather and mostly for fun events I assume they may be the only tire.
I am looking for a tire that can really do both DD duty and track days - that's the ultimate goal for my mods.

I personally only use the car once a week for a short commute to work, and I take the X3 the other days.

Don't really mind using it in the wet when commuting as I won't be pushing the car at all. By the time I have the suspension done up, I would really be pushing the limit of the PSS.

I will check out the review from tirerack. Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Just read the review - may be no good for me if I need to get it up to operating temperature. Anyone got experience with tyre blankets ?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
I just ordered a set. I'll take the PSS off and have the Maxx Race on before next weekend. I plan to keep these on (and wear them out) over the summer, then switch back to PSS when it starts too cool off and rain.

I read a review of the ZIIs yesterday that said they are very precise but they don't like being driven sideways as much as say an R-S3. Hoping the BFG Rivals come in more sizes soon.
I have a set of Rivals on order: 275/35-18 front, 295/35-18 rear. Fronts will likely be a squeeze and I expect some rubbing on the fender liner.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
I have a set of Rivals on order: 275/35-18 front, 295/35-18 rear. Fronts will likely be a squeeze and I expect some rubbing on the fender liner.

Neil

not much rubbing probably...

I put BF goodrich R1 285/30/18 all around on my 10" ET25 wheels this past Sunday and had no rubbing driving around paddock or on the track. They do rub and deflect the fender liner front dge nearing full lock while sitting still and also a bit on the rear part of the front fender liner as well.... but no issues or noises or evidence of rubbing while on track including inspecting those areas afterward.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
not much rubbing probably...

I put BF goodrich R1 285/30/18 all around on my 10" ET25 wheels this past Sunday and had no rubbing driving around paddock or on the track. They do rub and deflect the fender liner front dge nearing full lock while sitting still and also a bit on the rear part of the front fender liner as well.... but no issues or noises or evidence of rubbing while on track including inspecting those areas afterward.
I've always viewed fender liners as a wear item...

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post

Neil
Just in time for OLOA? What tires did you run last year?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #14
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmtrhed View Post
Just in time for OLOA? What tires did you run last year?
The Rivals won't be available in time for the One Lap (which starts this Saturday), so I'll be running Dunlop Z2s.

Last year I ran Michelin PSS.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep

So I scrubbed in a set of Sport Maxx Race yesterday and got to try them cool for the first time today on the street. Basically what I'd expected: at 60 to 65 F ambient and cold the tires are very slippy on dry pavement. It's a very progressive breakaway, not snappy, so very catch-able. However you must be very aware that you're operating with what feels like ~2/3 the grip of a PSS. By low 70s F ambient and with some heat in the tire from regular freeway driving the grip has already picked up dramatically. At that point they grip almost as well as a Pilot Super Sport under similar conditions.

More to follow, but it seems like the crossover point in regular driving will be in the 80s F unless you're pushing the tires and building up heat. I probably won't get a chance to do that until this weekend.

They feel similar temperature wise to a Hankook R-S3 so far.
      05-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
So I scrubbed in a set of Sport Maxx Race yesterday and got to try them cool for the first time today on the street. Basically what I'd expected: at 60 to 65 F ambient and cold the tires are very slippy on dry pavement. It's a very progressive breakaway, not snappy, so very catch-able. However you must be very aware that you're operating with what feels like ~2/3 the grip of a PSS. By low 70s F ambient and with some heat in the tire from regular freeway driving the grip has already picked up dramatically. At that point they grip almost as well as a Pilot Super Sport under similar conditions.

More to follow, but it seems like the crossover point in regular driving will be in the 80s F unless you're pushing the tires and building up heat. I probably won't get a chance to do that until this weekend.

They feel similar temperature wise to a Hankook R-S3 so far.
Since you tried them on the street, can you comment on ride quality, noise etc. vs. both PSS and PS2, which are the common tyres on most 1Ms. I am not expecting them to be as comfortable but how much worse they are?

You think you already passed break-in mileage?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #17
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'll post as I get more miles, I'm not 100% convinced they are fully broken in.
      05-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #18
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
I'll post as I get more miles, I'm not 100% convinced they are fully broken in.
Did you use Pirelli P Zero Corsa system in the past? I know you didn't on your 1M but on another car or a friend whose car is familiar to you?

Since these Corsas are among the well known street/track combo tires and they are the factory equipment for the E92 M3 GTS (also for Moto GP Safety Car 1M if I remember correctly) which shares the same wheels with us (just in black) I am also considering a GTS size 255/35 19 fr (Directional) and 285/30 19 re (Assym.) set as my next set so that we can benefit from the stock wheels in an ideal manner. I am undecided between the Corsas, or yet another PSS set in stock sizes or a PSS set with 275/30fr and 295/30re. I understand that new Dunlops are not really entitled as "one set for all", I heard the opposite for Corsa system that they are quite qood for street and highway too as long as you don't have too much of a rain or cold weather. Also, another good tire is Bridgestone RE-11s but while they come at our stock sizes they don't in 285/30 rears.

I know there will be a bit of rubbing on front with 255/35, it is not a deal breaker for me plus there is a good chance that I may avoid that with the Vorshlag camber plates that I will have soon.

I think I could sacrifice a bit of comfort and wet behaviour of the PSS to have higher dry performance (because I spend 99+% of my driving in perfect weather/road conditions anyway).
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #19
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
If you go with the corsas, I would love to know your impressions. Any concern about the traction control and MDM with no stagger on the diameters? (All exactly 26")
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #20
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
If you go with the corsas, I would love to know your impressions. Any concern about the traction control and MDM with no stagger on the diameters? (All exactly 26")
Well, I believe there are enough people who were driving their 1Ms (or their E9X M3s) with square or other than stock set ups with no reported issues that I am aware of, so if I decide to go with Corsas I will take my chances. I hope someone did put them on a 1M before will chime in and can give us some feedback though, they really seem like a good option (other than price) for anyone who wants to go a bit larger and stickier without going beyond the sweet spot of stock wheels, for someone who doesn't do too much mileage/change tires too often and doesn't want to have two sets of wheels or tires. In fact, imo 1M should have come with these sizes from the factory on actual stock wheels and with PSS (which still doesn't offer 285/30).

My expectation and hope is they ease the DSC and fit the car like a glove not vice versa Stock size PSS does exactly this to a point but you know how we are, people get used to good stuff very quickly and then start asking for more.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 05-13-2013 at 10:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #21
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
...but you know how we are, people get used to good stuff very quickly and then start asking for more.
poco a poquito, poco a poquito...you're coming around

You'll have a tune in that puppy before you know it
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #22
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

IIRC there's a Russian (?) 1M just had Corsas put on. If you are putting on the Corsas, then why not wait till the MPSC2?
Appreciate 0