BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #89
X-M3driver
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 ///M4

What tune

What tune?
Had the car done yesterday, can't tell the difference other than the sticker and lighter wallet!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #90
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

My dealership lists this at $599 + labor.
I called their parts dept and they know nothing about this being a limited time pricing.
As far as they can tell, this is regular price.

Anyone can confirm?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #91
1Fasst1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, Jet Black 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-M3driver View Post
What tune?
Had the car done yesterday, can't tell the difference other than the sticker and lighter wallet!
Wish you had not said that. Got an appointment in two days to get the flash. Was hoping there would be a little difference.I will post if there is any noticable difference in preformance. We could probably get the stickers off E bay for a couple bucks.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #92
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
What tune?
This is kinda my fear - if the dealer does it wrong, how will you really know, and how will you be able to convince them? And every time you get an ECU update, you'll probably be wondering, "is it still there?"

And some people here claim that BMW detuned the cars with an ECU update, to avoid HPFP issues. What if they decide to do that with the performance upgrade?
      10-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #93
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

Quote:
What tune?
Wow - really didnt want to hear this - but good to know. Sorry its not what we are looking for.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #94
Hans09
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Montego Blue 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
This is kinda my fear - if the dealer does it wrong, how will you really know, and how will you be able to convince them? And every time you get an ECU update, you'll probably be wondering, "is it still there?"

And some people here claim that BMW detuned the cars with an ECU update, to avoid HPFP issues. What if they decide to do that with the performance upgrade?
I agree.... ugh someone needs to get their car dyno'd before and after the tune so the rest of us know whether this is worth it or not. I don't have my car yet but was planning on getting this tune when it finally comes in because I don't want to void my warranty. Now not so sure.... because like pinmagic said what if the dealer didn't do the tune right and didn't really get the performance improvements out of it that it's supposed to do- we won't know because we aren't really sure what the improvement should really be. How would you win an argument like this with a dealership anyways?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #95
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

Quote:
What tune?
I bet your dealer got it wrong. I got mine done about three weeks ago and the difference is substantial, particularly in the mid range. Torque increase feels like much more than the quoted 17ft lbs. Take it back to the dealer to have it redone.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #96
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans09 View Post
I agree.... ugh someone needs to get their car dyno'd before and after the tune so the rest of us know whether this is worth it or not. I don't have my car yet but was planning on getting this tune when it finally comes in because I don't want to void my warranty. Now not so sure.... because like pinmagic said what if the dealer didn't do the tune right and didn't really get the performance improvements out of it that it's supposed to do- we won't know because we aren't really sure what the improvement should really be. How would you win an argument like this with a dealership anyways?
I was going get the upgrade, but after reading this and thinking about it I most likely won't. You're right in asking "how would you win an argument like this with a dealer?" In my case the answer is, "I wouldn't." The display on my radio becomes unreadable when it is hot out and the Service advisor said "they're all like that." When I said it was strange that other cheaper cars I had didn't do it, he said "I didn't engineer the radio." I can just imagine trying to convince him that a software upgrade didn't add power. The reply would be, "Of course we did it right, what did you expect? It's only 20 horspower."
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #97
Wings0fRed
Newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post

If it is done right you'll feel a difference, particularly in the car's response to your throttle inputs.
      10-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #98
davefromfla
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440ix

PPK

Getting my stage 1 Monday. I previously had an E36M3 and E46M3 before this, and the stock performance is just as good as the E46M3. Can't wait for the tune Monday!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #99
DriverDog
Rep
Drives: 135i & 328d

$1987 PPK Version 2 installed and out the door. Make sure they have ALL of the parts, I had to wait a few days due parts that did not come with kit. Only drove home but no real highway time but no lag at all very different "fast" throttle response. More later.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #100
davefromfla
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440ix

Performance Power Kit

Picked my car up today after having PPK installed. Can definitely feel it and hear it. My car sounded really good before (stock exhaust), but is somewhat louder now, and more burble and pops when backing off the throttle or downshifting.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #101
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Sorry you can't "feel it". But I think it's noticeably quicker and more responsive. I feel like you don't even have to press the sport button anymore. One way to tell may be to listen for the "burble". I noticed a change in exhaust note as soon as I started the car at the dealership. It revved much lower than usual and climbed instead of instantly hitting the high idle. Then the "burble" feature is very noticeable when downshifting aggressively or abruptly letting off around 4k.
      10-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #102
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsublime View Post
Sorry you can't "feel it". But I think it's noticeably quicker and more responsive. I feel like you don't even have to press the sport button anymore. One way to tell may be to listen for the "burble". I noticed a change in exhaust note as soon as I started the car at the dealership. It revved much lower than usual and climbed instead of instantly hitting the high idle. Then the "burble" feature is very noticeable when downshifting aggressively or abruptly letting off around 4k.
Sounds good I have mine scheduled for this Friday, I'm really looking forward for a difference since my car got neutered a few weeks ago by the dealer. Can't wait.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #103
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 330i ZHP, N55 135i

Maybe...

Quote:
What tune?
is because...

Quote:
Dropped my car off this morning and was told this was their first install..... Oh boy!!!!
????

I hope so, and hope they get it right for you.
      10-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #104
Maconer98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i AW/CORAL RED MT

I've been thinking about getting this done to my car but I think it would be a good idea to get a DYNO done before taking it to the dealer to establish a baseline and then get the tune and then have it DYNO'ed again. What happens if the results don't show any increases in HP or torque?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #105
Hans09
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maconer98 View Post
I've been thinking about getting this done to my car but I think it would be a good idea to get a DYNO done before taking it to the dealer to establish a baseline and then get the tune and then have it DYNO'ed again. What happens if the results don't show any increases in HP or torque?
This is exactly what I'm going to do. It could also help as supporting evidence should you not notice any difference in performance then have it confirmed by a dyno.... yes the dealership could argue well maybe you messed with these numbers but at least it gives you something.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #106
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
This is exactly what I'm going to do. It could also help as supporting evidence should you not notice any difference in performance then have it confirmed by a dyno.... yes the dealership could argue well maybe you messed with these numbers but at least it gives you something.
well then don't forget to post your dyno charts.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 11:50 PM   #107
Hans09
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
well then don't forget to post your dyno charts.
I most certainly will post them. Just have to get the car first.... it's about to dock tomorrow morning at Port Hueneme finally! I'm planning on getting the baseline done within the next 30days then get the tune installed as an early Christmas present to myself. Should have it all done by first week of December.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #108
kgaler
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

I just cancelled my appointment for tomorrow to get the software installed. I think I'll wait until I see a couple dyno results.
      10-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #109
oman135
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Im confused ..should I do it or no ?!!
      10-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #110
audimotion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i/12 F250 CC PS/06 ML500

^ Oman, Do it!
I just got my car back yesterday and it is a substantial inprovement is power and drivability. The throttle respnse is instant, even in automatic mode (I have a step). The sport and manual mode are VERY VERY responsive. Also, I have noticed a deeper exhaust note...kinda nice. The car just wants to go fast at all times...
I paid 726.00 (parts, tax and labor) for the PPK 1.
08 135i |Alpine White w/ Terra Boston Leather|Sport Pkg| Premium Pkg| Shadowline| Gloss Black Trim| Nav| Comfort Access| Active Steering| Steptronic| Htd Seats| Prem. Sound/Sirius| Park Distance| PPK 1|BMS 4LED|M3 Sway Bar
Appreciate 0