BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #45
black135
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m01lim View Post
Black135, I see you've installed a 12 inch sub in your boot. I'm really hesitant to do this as I don't want an 'aftermarket' look. Are there really no other solutions?

Do you mind me asking what the components are costing you and installation, for comparison sake?
I plan to put in a custom box in one of the rear corners of the boot. To the untrained eye you won't be able to tell there is a sub.

In terms of cost the whole exercise cost about the same as an upgrade to the premium sound, but I get better quality for the price so overall I'm happy with the outcome.
      11-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #46
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
[quote=m01lim;276662] I'm really hesitant to do this as I don't want an 'aftermarket' look. Are there really no other solutions?

Do you mind me asking what the components are costing you and installation, for comparison sake?
quote]

Does the look of your boot really matter that much to you? :iono: Nobody really sees it...

The usual going rate for installing things are as follows:

1 set of speakers - $60-$100
4 Channel amp - $80-$120

This guide would be for a basic simple install, so no custom mounting etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 06:43 AM   #47
kevi21
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m01lim View Post
So I got the qoute back and I'm a bit in shock as to how expensive it really is:

ALPINE PDX4100 4 CHANNEL 100WRMS 579 $ 579.00
FOCAL 130KR 5" K POWER SPLIT $ 679.00

FOCAL 130KRC 5" K POWER COAXIAL
$ 579.00

DEI 55020 LINE LEVEL CONVERTOR * 2 $ 90.00
DEI WIRING MISC WIRING $ 120.00
DYNAMAT EXTREME SOUNDEADNING MATERIAL (Front doors and rear shelf) $ 350.00
INSTALLATION OF SPKRS $ 440 00

INSTALLATION OF AMP $ 275.00
TOTAL INCLUDING DISCOUNT $2900

$2900 without a sub! WOW. Is it the focal components that are so pricey?

What do you guys think. The OEM system being offered by BMW (2 high range Alpine, 2 mid range Alpine, Alpine Amp) for $1800 installed seems like a bargain. This ofcourse misses out on the sound deadening though and its very difficult to verify the quality as not many details are given by BMW about the amp and speakers. But since its an Alpine set up endorsed by BMW it should be pretty good no?

What do you guys think? The guy I spoke to for the qoute really seemed to know what he was on about. I'm lost! :iono:

Hey all,

I too got a quote previously with similar prices, approx. $1500 and $1800 for an Alpine 4-Channel Amp (the latter price being the more powerful amp) and 4" Focal KP Power splits. They quoted $300 for installing the lot, but I am thinking about doing it myself with the help of a friend. To save some money you can consider just purchasing the speakers and amp from a recognized dealer, and buy the wiring and other accessories (i.e. RCA coverters, wiring etc. online at a much cheaper price).

m01lim, are you sure the Focal 5" will fit in the doors?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #48
OzBMW84
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevi21 View Post
Hey all,

I too got a quote previously with similar prices, approx. $1500 and $1800 for an Alpine 4-Channel Amp (the latter price being the more powerful amp) and 4" Focal KP Power splits. They quoted $300 for installing the lot, but I am thinking about doing it myself with the help of a friend. To save some money you can consider just purchasing the speakers and amp from a recognized dealer, and buy the wiring and other accessories (i.e. RCA coverters, wiring etc. online at a much cheaper price).

m01lim, are you sure the Focal 5" will fit in the doors?
Hey Kevi. I've decided to just install an alpine amp (PDX so it can fit in that small space next to the battery under the boot floor) and run the Focal splits and the standard subs off it. The rear speakers will remain as is. They should fit, but we'll just have to see how it goes next thursday. Might install some sound deadening as well. You guys think it's necessary or usefull?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #49
OzBMW84
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport Limited Edition

Has anyone put 5" speakers in the front doors yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 07:48 AM   #50
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookcooker View Post
BSW= Bavarian Sound Werks (not 100% sure of the spelling)
Its a US company that makes aftermarket audio for BMW's. Last I looked they were still in development of speakers for the 1

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/
I now found my system is not perfect. I should have spent more in the car . No money now and they are still developing. I am sure I am interested when my finances improves... spent too much on the bloody house to make it liveable .
      10-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #51
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
thread resurrection!!

m01lim: how did you go with your audio upgrade? i've spent 2.5 weeks with my new 1er and am already sick of the lousy sound...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #52
Bobbo
Private
Rep
Drives: Car

Yeah stereo thread.

My thoughts on stock system

I have the basic system. I don't think it is too bad for a stock system with no separate tweeters. Ipod intergration is the best I have used. What I do think is fantastic are the speaker placements. In most cars I have had the speakers are all in compromising positions. Having the midbass under the seats is awesome. It stops door vibration and gets lots of bass up front. I do think the system needs a sub for low end and to help fill the cabin. Don't like using rear speakers it kills your sound stage.

I went to Phatt audio Melbourne last week to see what they can do.
They suggested

Focal KP 4inch splits
Earthquake SWS-8 for underseat
Boston 10inch sub the the boot.
Audison Bit one processor(If you want your system to sound shit hot you need one of these.)
Will probably used arc audio mini amps

Probably won't be super cheap but will sound awesome once done.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #53
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgti View Post
What I do think is fantastic are the speaker placements. In most cars I have had the speakers are all in compromising positions. Having the midbass under the seats is awesome. It stops door vibration and gets lots of bass up front. I do think the system needs a sub for low end and to help fill the cabin. Don't like using rear speakers it kills your sound stage.

They suggested

Focal KP 4inch splits
Audison Bit one processor(If you want your system to sound shit hot you need one of these.)
Speaker placement of the front stage sucks in BMW's... always has. Having only enough room for a 4" and being so close to you is horrible... Although midbass under the seats is great!

But the BitOne is a sweet piece of kit
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 06:52 AM   #54
Brissie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Yeah stereo thread.

My thoughts on stock system

I have the basic system. I don't think it is too bad for a stock system with no separate tweeters. Ipod intergration is the best I have used. What I do think is fantastic are the speaker placements. In most cars I have had the speakers are all in compromising positions. Having the midbass under the seats is awesome. It stops door vibration and gets lots of bass up front. I do think the system needs a sub for low end and to help fill the cabin. Don't like using rear speakers it kills your sound stage.

They suggested

Focal KP 4inch splits

Probably won't be super cheap but will sound awesome once done.
I have just installed Focal KRS 100 with SWS8's under the seats. The SWS's give surprising amount of punch. If you are not after a lot of low bass then you may not need a sub. It sounds like cr8p from outside the car though. Lots of rattles front the sideskirts. I think the underseat housing for the subs communicate with a chamber at or near the sideskirts.
If you are going for a sub in the boot why not go for a 12" rather than a 10"?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 08:34 AM   #55
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

There is probably parts available to set up the tweeter where the OEM premium is... so you can have the same look shield where the side mirrors are?

I am quite happy with my premium hifi . Not as good as the alpine in a previous car in terms of resolution... but it is well balanced.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #56
Brissie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
There is probably parts available to set up the tweeter where the OEM premium is... so you can have the same look shield where the side mirrors are?
There are, but at a rip off price of $169 each for the cover with a grill for the tweeter, I have decided just to mount the tweeters on the cover itself. Will just replace them if I want to remove the tweeters and pay $30 each for standard cover.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #57
Bobbo
Private
Rep
Drives: Car

Cool good to hear you are happy with the focal sws8 set up. I know there will be a good amount of bass from the 8's but I want some pounding bass.

The audio guy said would only need a 10inch sub. Will have 500watts going to it though!

The audio install guy is going to cut holes in the sail panels and cover them with black cloth. Should look pretty similar to the BMW ones and be a lot cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #58
Brissie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Cool good to hear you are happy with the focal sws8 set up. I know there will be a good amount of bass from the 8's but I want some pounding bass.

The audio guy said would only need a 10inch sub. Will have 500watts going to it though!

The audio install guy is going to cut holes in the sail panels and cover them with black cloth. Should look pretty similar to the BMW ones and be a lot cheaper.
It's up to you, but with it being a sedan/coupe, and you want pounding bass, you might want a ported box with a ten, or better still a 12" sub.
Good to have the Bitone as you can do band pass for you mid bass. Wish I had one though!
Appreciate 0