BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-13-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
kazriel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i 2008 MT

Handling upgrade

I keep driving my wife's Renault RS265 and loving the handing setup in that car. While I keeping working on small performance gains I'm keen to start really tuning up the car's handling.

At this stage I've put M3 subframe bushings, Mfactory torsen type LSD, 225 front 255 rear Michelin PSS and Bilstein B12s.
Power modifications are JB4, 5" stepped intercooler, DCI, catless DPs, ER charge pipe with forge DVs.

Going forward I was thinking getting some negative camber at the front with camber plates (not sure which brand), M3 front control arms and stiffening the rear as it's got the LSD installed with an M3 rear sway bar. I'm worried about encouraging understeer with a front sway bar and would probably hold off until the others are installed.

Any thoughts on getting this setup or personal experience?

Also, I'm hating how low I sit with the B12s which after running in sit my tyres well below wheel arches. As these are not coilovers is there anything I could do to raise the height or should I just suck it up. No rub that I'm aware of.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 10:25 PM   #2
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

I've fitted the M3 front control arms and found the extra camber to be nice, gave a little more front end grip. People say the steering feel was improved but I think this is a placebo effect.

Ultimately I was only able to get 1 degree of negative camber with the m3 control arms + stock camber pins pulled. Still understeers a bit too much on the limit for my liking on 225/255 Yokohama AD08R, would like to get around 2 degrees at least.

Would really need more negative camber for the track, the outside edge of the front tyres seem to cop a lot of wear even with correct pressures. Was thinking of the Dinan camber plates as they are fixed and less complicated. Some camber plates make noise. Shipping cost is a bit insane from Dinan though
      12-13-2015, 11:32 PM   #3
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

In this car, adding a front sway bar can actually help to reduce understeer due to the type of suspension. In hard cornering, without enough negative camber, the tyres can actually roll into positive camber so a thicker front swap can help with that.

Personally I'd say get the front sway (E90/E92, not E93) with some front control arms. If you want camber plates, Vorshlags probably give you best adjustment. Otherwise you can get fixed Dinan or Ground Control plates.

Personally, my Vorshlags don't make any noise and I'm running them with Moton Clubsport shocks which I'm pretty sure have a pillowball topmount.

Do yourself a favour though and get some wider rubber though if you're looking for grip. Might need some new rims but with the right sizes and offsets as well as some rolling of the guards you can probably fit a 245/35 and 275/30 without too much drama.
      12-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

I suggest to change to M3 front arms and E92 M3 front sway bar. It will make a big change to steering response and reduce understeer. IMO, Camber plates are not necessary for street driving once you upgrade the front arms. The M3 front arms will give you around 1.3 degrees of front negative camber (depending on ride height) which is enough to change the handling quite a lot.

Last edited by John_01; 12-14-2015 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
imske3000
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I did B14 coilovers, subframe bushings, LSD, control arms, dinan fixed camber plates and then M3 sway bars which made a big difference, the stock ones are very thin. I am very happy with the setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 09:05 PM   #6
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AT Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imske3000
I did B14 coilovers, subframe bushings, LSD, control arms, dinan fixed camber plates and then M3 sway bars which made a big difference, the stock ones are very thin. I am very happy with the setup.
How are you finding the B14's? Are you running the standard springs or swift spring conversion?