BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-26-2014, 02:08 AM   #23
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Why did you not ask the owner what mods it has? Or why did he not tell you!

M3 control arms are a nice upgrade. Maybe it has the bushings and a sway bar, too, which are very nice upgrades over stock.
      08-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #24
inline sex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon
Why did you not ask the owner what mods it has? Or why did he not tell you!

M3 control arms are a nice upgrade. Maybe it has the bushings and a sway bar, too, which are very nice upgrades over stock.
I got it from a dealer. An audi dealer nonetheless so they knew nothing about it.
They didn't know it was anything that special and actually raised they're asking price once they started getting a lot of interest
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #25
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Oh I see then.
      08-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #26
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Enjoy your new ride.
      08-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #27
inFamousKicks
Member.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Congrats! Looks great. Enjoy it.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #28
inline sex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys.

Does anybody know if I can just get my maintenance records from my local bmw dealer?
Or would I have to contact the dealer in Cali?
Per the carfax it was Fremont bmw
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 02:22 PM   #29
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline sex View Post
Thanks guys.

Does anybody know if I can just get my maintenance records from my local bmw dealer?
Any BMW dealer can pull the records easily. Whether they will do it is unknown. I had no luck with one dealer, got it easily from another.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #30
inline sex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy
Quote:
Thanks guys.

Any BMW dealer can pull the records easily. Whether they will do it is unknown. I had no luck with one dealer, got it easily from another.
Gotcha. that's what I was thinking. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #31
Q23
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i BSM

congrats bro!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #32
inline sex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Small update - put the car on a lift today and confirmed M control arms all around.
Aaand....yellow springs. Did a bit of research and this means bmw performance?
Is there an easy way to tell if I have /M subframe bushings as well?
Man I would love to talk to the previous owner.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 09:06 PM   #33
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Ooh, if you've got the performance suspension, you've definitely hit the jackpot and will drive REAL nice. If you take your key to your BMW dealer, they should be able to pull up the full service history at least at a BMW dealer. However, if they put certain things on themselves or at an indy shop, you may not know.

There aren't that many sparkling graphites though, perhaps they were a formerly active member? Perhaps you can find some posts/mod threads and see if you see the CA plate #?

Also, some other brands like KW use yellow springs, so I'd check those springs to see if you see a lil tag on I think the fronts. Not sure if other companies do that.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #34
inline sex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8
Ooh, if you've got the performance suspension, you've definitely hit the jackpot and will drive REAL nice. If you take your key to your BMW dealer, they should be able to pull up the full service history at least at a BMW dealer. However, if they put certain things on themselves or at an indy shop, you may not know.

There aren't that many sparkling graphites though, perhaps they were a formerly active member? Perhaps you can find some posts/mod threads and see if you see the CA plate #?

Also, some other brands like KW use yellow springs, so I'd check those springs to see if you see a lil tag on I think the fronts. Not sure if other companies do that.
Yeah I contacted BMW of Fremont in CA if not I will try my local one.

I will have to check around the forum maybe in the regional CA section.

Oh and I did look for tags/markings on the springs but didn't see any.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #35
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I contacted BMW of Fremont in CA if not I will try my local one.

I will have to check around the forum maybe in the regional CA section.

Oh and I did look for tags/markings on the springs but didn't see any.
Check the sparkling graphite metallic color thread as well to see if you can track the previous owner down as he may have posted some pics.

As for tags/markings on the springs, the BMW ones will have what looks like a sales tag almost I believe on the front springs as you can see the tag hanging down even without it up on a lift by looking in wheel well. It's possible someone took it off though. Then I believe the rears have no tags, but will have a small imprint/writing on them that will have a letter and number for the spring like the stock ones say L3 or L6, I forget.

In the meantime, enjoy the hell out of it. =P And watch out for those Washatonian drivers...man they drive slow in the left lane...even slower than Oregon drivers if that were possible. Ha!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #36
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
As for tags/markings on the springs, the BMW ones will have what looks like a sales tag almost I believe on the front springs as you can see the tag hanging down even without it up on a lift by looking in wheel well.
The BMW yellow Performance springs have a tag that says T3 or maybe T"something else", depending on which part number it is. If you do a search you may be able to find threads with pictures of the yellow Performance springs with the tags.
      08-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #37
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 Sdrive28i

I thought the 135i with the M-Sport option had some kind of suspension upgrade already (over "stock") (?)

... gone but never forgotten ...
2013 135i M-Sport
Mineral Gray over Oyster Boston Leather
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #38
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed P View Post
I thought the 135i with the M-Sport option had some kind of suspension upgrade already (over "stock") (?)
All 135's come stock with the same Msport suspension.
      08-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #39
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
All 135's come stock with the same Msport suspension.
OK, so there's:

1) 128i suspension (only on the 128i)
2) 135i/is suspension (only on the 135i/is; the "Msport" suspension, regardless if car has M-Sport package or not)
3) 1M suspension (only on the 1M)

Is this correct?

If so, can anyone describe the differences between 1, 2, and 3?

Thanks!

2013 135i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #40
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
OK, so there's:

1) 128i suspension (only on the 128i)
2) 135i/is suspension (only on the 135i/is; the "Msport" suspension, regardless if car has M-Sport package or not)
3) 1M suspension (only on the 1M)

Is this correct?

Thanks!
Nope, missing a few. You can get "m sport" suspension on the 128 as an upgrade/option though I'm not sure if it's then the exact same suspension setup as the 135. Probably?

Then you have the BMW Performance Suspension which is a higher-level, expensive aftermarket performance kit BMW makes. You can buy that and stick it on a 128 or 135 and it'll be "sportier" than what's on there, but won't ever be as good as 1M suspension setup.

Since you have a 135, all you need to know is all 135s have the same suspension basically unless someone decided to spend the extra $$$ to get the performance suspension that has new shocks, the aforementioned yellow springs, and an upgraded front sway bar. Only a handful of people have actually gone ahead and gotten that performance suspension though.

Not sure if I made that better or worse and obviously these are just the BMW offerings.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #41
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Gotcha - thanks Greg.

I knew there were options (including for the 128i) - I was just trying to get the "stock" offerings correct.

So, safe to assume that the springs, shocks, anti-roll bars are a tad beefier in the 135i than the 128i, stock?

Anywho, I'm more than satisfied with my "stock" M-sport 135i suspension. Feels every bit as good as my MX-5 did, though a tad heavier of course. I could change lanes a tick faster in the MX-5, but the 135i actually has less body roll, stock.

2013 135i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #42
heeblet
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i xDrive F31

Enjoying this thread. You got a car with what I think a lot of people put in their shopping carts and go back and forth and may never buy but always want.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #43
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha - thanks Greg.

I knew there were options (including for the 128i) - I was just trying to get the "stock" offerings correct.

So, safe to assume that the springs, shocks, anti-roll bars are a tad beefier in the 135i than the 128i, stock?

Anywho, I'm more than satisfied with my "stock" M-sport 135i suspension. Feels every bit as good as my MX-5 did, though a tad heavier of course. I could change lanes a tick faster in the MX-5, but the 135i actually has less body roll, stock.
Yes, stock offerings are base 128, 128 with m-sport, 135, then I guess 1M.

Here's the info on the differences to the BMW Performance Suspension, aka, the PS:

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/11...NCE-SUSPENSION

So, the springs are 34% stiffer, they're better dampened, and it also lowers the car by 10mm, which is very subtle. I honestly can't recommend the performance suspension enough as it seems to have eliminated almost all body roll and FEELS soooo much better. I especially recommend it if you plan to ditch the runflats as the stock suspension is designed with runflats in mind, so they'll feel a bit soft if you get non runflats.

Sorry inline for having this on your thread, but remember, I have diplomatic immunity for solving which wheels you had...unless and until Danny Glover tells me it's been revoked. =P
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #44
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Nope, missing a few. You can get "m sport" suspension on the 128 as an upgrade/option though I'm not sure if it's then the exact same suspension setup as the 135. Probably?

Then you have the BMW Performance Suspension which is a higher-level, expensive aftermarket performance kit BMW makes. You can buy that and stick it on a 128 or 135 and it'll be "sportier" than what's on there, but won't ever be as good as 1M suspension setup.

Since you have a 135, all you need to know is all 135s have the same suspension basically unless someone decided to spend the extra $$$ to get the performance suspension that has new shocks, the aforementioned yellow springs, and an upgraded front sway bar. Only a handful of people have actually gone ahead and gotten that performance suspension though.

Not sure if I made that better or worse and obviously these are just the BMW offerings.
I think there are two versions of the BMW Performance suspension for the 128i:

1) 128i with stock suspension - upgraded shocks and struts, upgraded springs, upgraded front sway bar, rear sway bar.

2) 128i with Msport suspension (same as 135i) - upgraded shocks and struts, upgraded springs, upgraded front sway bar.

128i owners - please correct me if I'm wrong.