BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-15-2015, 08:19 AM   #1
boxxa
Here for the ladies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

M-Sport Bridgestone Rotation Direction

Someone mentioned they have a rotation direction on them. I know they are staggered so obviously front are the 215s and the back is the 235s. I am just wanting to confirm that the rotation direction doesn't matter as I can't find an arrow on it.

I did notice after putting them back on, the ride occasionally gets a little rough and think they may be on backwards but I don't see a tread roll arrow that the winter tires have. I freaked out and rechecked the bolts to make sure they were torqued and my wheel wasn't going to fly off.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

They are not directional.

I would swap mine left to right all the time to keep the wear even and prevent them from getting scalloped.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 10:29 PM   #3
boxxa
Here for the ladies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
They are not directional.

I would swap mine left to right all the time to keep the wear even and prevent them from getting scalloped.
When you swap them, does the ride change at all? I just put my summer back on and the ride occasionally shakes like they are out of balance and wondering if its because the tread wear.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 06:44 AM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

If the tires have any scalloping on them, which happens when the tires are always rotating in the same direction, the leading edge of each tread block sees the most wear and they wear unevenly. When the tires are then flipped side to side, the leading edge is now taller than the rest of the tread block. This can cause quite a bit of noise from the tires. There usually is not much vibration from it, although, I do find braking at low speeds coming to a stop you can feel the harshness.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #5
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
If the tires have any scalloping on them, which happens when the tires are always rotating in the same direction, the leading edge of each tread block sees the most wear and they wear unevenly. When the tires are then flipped side to side, the leading edge is now taller than the rest of the tread block. This can cause quite a bit of noise from the tires. There usually is not much vibration from it, although, I do find braking at low speeds coming to a stop you can feel the harshness.
Not to get off topic, but I noticed that one of my pilot super sports up front has some scalloping. It's only the driver front though, the pass. front tire has none. And it's only on the inside inch or so of tread (I have 2.1-2.2 degrees neg camber). So that is normal it sounds like for the scalloping? Should I rotate this over to the other side to get rid of it?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 09:48 AM   #6
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

I would give it a shot. Can't hurt.
Appreciate 0