BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #1
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Wasps like my 1 series as much as me

A few days ago a couple wasps started building a nest in the eaves of my home. We vacuumed them up along with their nest but about two of them survived and seem to have taken up residence in my 1 series mirror. They seem to like the black accent ring on the mirrors a lot. I bought some wasp spray but I don't want to spray it on my car in case it damages the paint.

I'm thinking tonight I'll spray it with one of those car wash foam guns, the soapy suds should get into the mirror and wet their wings. Any one dealt with wasps in their car mirrors before? I could use some tips because I'm not 100% confident in this plan.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 08:51 PM   #2
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MB C63 S AMG Coupe

Garage List
Easy, try it on someone else's car

Lol I would call the company and see if it affects the paint or not. I'm seeing mixed reports of it causing some cars clear coat to bubble while others are perfectly fine.

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 09:10 PM   #3
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep

I'm not going to risk it either way. I'm curious if anyone has any tips though on the situation, I'm certainly not the first person to encounter this problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 05:46 AM   #4
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual Transmission View Post
I'm not going to risk it either way. I'm curious if anyone has any tips though on the situation, I'm certainly not the first person to encounter this problem.
Flush out those bros out with a heavy dose of water and then wash your car.
      07-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #5
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
Flush out those bros out with a heavy dose of water and then wash your car.
Yeah just do a solid wash and you'll be fine. Don't use any chemicals back there there's all kinds of rubber seals and grommets especially if you have the auto-dim mirrors.
      07-28-2017, 11:27 PM   #6
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

No solution to your problem, but I do empathize.

Today I was on a bike ride with a friend and a wasp flew into my hand, I batted it away, then it landed on my thigh and stung me through my bike shorts.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 11:52 PM   #7
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
No solution to your problem, but I do empathize.

Today I was on a bike ride with a friend and a wasp flew into my hand, I batted it away, then it landed on my thigh and stung me through my bike shorts.
Never been stung by a wasp. Been stung by bees several times. How do you compare a wasp sting to a bee sting, assuming you've been stung by a bee before?
      07-29-2017, 12:31 AM   #8
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Never been stung by a wasp. Been stung by bees several times. How do you compare a wasp sting to a bee sting, assuming you've been stung by a bee before?
I'm no expert on this, and one person's wasp is the next person's bee :-)

I've been stung by what I would call yellow jackets, and it wasn't as bad. All that being said, I took an antihistamine ~15 minutes after I was stung, and it hasn't ballooned into a baseball-sized bump like I had expected. It's not bothering me much right now, 7 hours later.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 03:27 PM   #9
bodega_bladerunner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

When I had my motorcycle, I used to ride with a half helmet. One day I was riding, it felt like something flipped off the ground and hit me in the cheek. I didn't think much of it since that is pretty common with little pebbles and stones kicked up by cars in front of me. About 30 minutes to an hour later, my cheek still hurt and continued to hurt for the rest of the day. I later figured out that it was a wasp sting because in the days that followed, my cheek and ey swelled up so bad that I was almost unrecognizable, so I feel your pain on the dislike of wasps.

But in all seriousness, I would probably suggest taking your car through one of those touch less carwash is that have the high speed waterjets. I would think that would take care of those little buggers
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 08:11 PM   #10
skidawgz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 e92 M3, '09 128i, '95 318i

Stinging insects are best to take care of at night when they aren't active. A thorough flush with water is fine, or if you use an bee/wasp killer wash it right after.
1995 BMW e36 318i (stock)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 09:23 PM   #11
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Being that this thread has derailed, I'll continue the theme of motorcycle and bug stories:

Storytime #1: Riding along and feel a hot sensation on the inside of my knee, I figure it's a hot part of the bike touching me somehow in a way I hadn't felt before so I just casually move my knee away from the bike and look down - just in time to see the BIGGEST FUCKING WASP I'VE EVER FUCKING SEEN as it crawled back into my bikes fairings. Damn near laid the bike down as I pulled over and then threw water at it to get it out. Spent the evening tearing the fairings off looking for other wasps or a nest. The sting hurt for a week but didn't swell much.

Storytime #2: Chuffing along on my way to work at a smooth 30mph. I always wear a full face helmet and today I had my front vents open a little. I see a bit of debris coming toward me at what seemed similar in speed to a paintball, just fast enough to catch the movement, not slow enough to dodge. The debris goes right into the vent of my helmet and the air swoops it into the inside of my helmet, it didn't hit my face, it just came to rest on the little "shelf" just inside the visor. It's at this moment I realize the "debris" is a yellowjacket and it's sitting an inch from my eye. Again, I almost laid the bike down as I spazzed and tried to open my visor and shake it out. Luckily it had died on the impact though otherwise this may have been a very different story lol...
      07-29-2017, 10:47 PM   #12
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Being that this thread has derailed...
Attached Images

07-30-2017, 08:51 PM   #13
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep

The soap gun didn't work, but I ended up wrapping the mirrors in saran wrap a few days later. The wasp problem seems to be handled. Not sure how long I'll have to keep the mirrors wrapped but it's off the road for work right now anyway. I'm considering poking a hole in the wrap and filling it with water. I don't run the risk of damaging any of the nearly 10 year old electronics in the mirrors do I?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 11:01 PM   #14
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual Transmission View Post
The soap gun didn't work, but I ended up wrapping the mirrors in saran wrap a few days later. The wasp problem seems to be handled. Not sure how long I'll have to keep the mirrors wrapped but it's off the road for work right now anyway. I'm considering poking a hole in the wrap and filling it with water. I don't run the risk of damaging any of the nearly 10 year old electronics in the mirrors do I?
I wouldn't take the chance!
      07-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #15
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I spoke too soon, earlier. I took an antihistamine right after the sting occurred, and all was reasonably well until yesterday, when I got an swollen and reddened area on my thigh that has been getting worse. Today is 3 days out.

My internist thinks it is cellulitis (e.g. a skin infection) and I'm now taking an antibiotic.

Name:  Wasp Sting.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  278.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 02:41 PM   #16
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I spoke too soon, earlier. I took an antihistamine right after the sting occurred, and all was reasonably well until yesterday, when I got an swollen and reddened area on my thigh that has been getting worse. Today is 3 days out.

My internist thinks it is cellulitis (e.g. a skin infection) and I'm now taking an antibiotic.
Ouch! That looks painful!

My bee stings never looked like that but I did get a pretty serious spider bite on my forehead (happened while sleeping) earlier this year that ballooned up and lasted for weeks. Worst bite I ever had. Little bastard, I wish I would've found him.
      07-31-2017, 04:37 PM   #17
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ouch! That looks painful!

My bee stings never looked like that but I did get a pretty serious spider bite on my forehead (happened while sleeping) earlier this year that ballooned up and lasted for weeks. Worst bite I ever had. Little bastard, I wish I would've found him.
I think the key to spiders in a house is physical removal. Every year I get my windows cleaned, inside and out, usually towards the end of the summer. The service I used to use was a middle-aged couple who were not willing to go up very high on ladders, so they didn't get up to where the spiders hang out where the walls hit the ceiling. An illness in the guy who used to do the work caused me to look elsewhere and I hired this group of young eastern Europeans, owned by a guy from Moldavia and his Romanian worker(s). They are in their 20s and not afraid of ladders :-)

They started doing my windows 2 years ago and they make a point of knocking down all the spider webs when they get up high on the ladders. The result has been a reduction of about 90% in the number of spiders I see in my house. A friend who used to work for a pest control company confirmed to me that physical removal of spider webs is the best and most effective way to deal with these creatures.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 04:45 PM   #18
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think the key to spiders in a house is physical removal. Every year I get my windows cleaned, inside and out, usually towards the end of the summer. The service I used to use was a middle-aged couple who were not willing to go up very high on ladders, so they didn't get up to where the spiders hang out where the walls hit the ceiling. An illness in the guy who used to do the work caused me to look elsewhere and I hired this group of young eastern Europeans, owned by a guy from Moldavia and his Romanian worker(s). They are in their 20s and not afraid of ladders :-)

They started doing my windows 2 years ago and they make a point of knocking down all the spider webs when they get up high on the ladders. The result has been a reduction of about 90% in the number of spiders I see in my house. A friend who used to work for a pest control company confirmed to me that physical removal of spider webs is the best and most effective way to deal with these creatures.
Yeah, well I guess I should consider myself lucky that the little shit just bit me and didn't lay eggs in my ear.