BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: So, Keep it, dump it, or wait and see?
Keep it! 2 6.90%
Dump it! 20 68.97%
Wait and see. 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

07-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #23
slampig
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Where is the "murder the guy that hit you" option?
2013 135is, #206/586
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #24
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slampig View Post
Where is the "murder the guy that hit you" option?
Yeah, that was the first impulse, especially after the kid basically admitted to the cops on scene that he "just looked away for a moment trying to contact his mom", i.e. he was texting.

But what are ya gonna do?
I still haven't given up hope on this car though. I have 5-6 months to decide and see how it acts, and as far as damage, it really is less that $9k (it has already been repaired), for all of you who think it looks like more than that.

I' am pretty confident that the car is okay and will be - the only real issue is potential resale value down the road. Which is why I am going to push BMW hard for a decent discount on a buyout option, because they can't CPO it now. So basically if I keep it, I will make BMW take the hit for selling a frame-damaged car.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:00 AM   #25
slampig
Private
Rep

You should have got decreased resale value from the insurance company. BMW may fight you on that.
2013 135is, #206/586
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #26
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slampig View Post
You should have got decreased resale value from the insurance company. BMW may fight you on that.
How would I do that? Get a letter from the insurance company? Is it a standardized type of letter?

I assume I would get it from my insurance company and not from the insurance company of the guy who hit me (they are the ones that actually paid for everything)?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #27
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

I am also now thinking about skipping the M235 altogether and holding out for the M2 (I will just have to figure out what to do in the meantime).

I think the M2 will be an outstanding vehicle. I think it will be what the M3 used to be and should be.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #28
slampig
Private
Rep

You should have negotiated it with the insurance company of the guy that hit you. If you already agreed to who paid for the repairs then it may be too late. You have to fight for it or they won't give it to you.
2013 135is, #206/586
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #29
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

I don't think the claim is closed out yet. I still have some open issues (like the body shop replaced the rear window but didn't tint it, so they are keeping it open to do a supplemental).

I'll push for it with my insurance company. They are great, so I'll let them fight with the other guy's insurance company. I don't see a way to do it before the repairs were made, because until that gets done, you don't know the extent of the damage or how it will affect resale.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:21 AM   #30
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
I think the M2 will be an outstanding vehicle. I think it will be what the M3 used to be and should be.
Not if they put the N55 in it, it won't.
      07-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #31
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Not if they put the N55 in it, it won't.
I understand that it should be a detuned version of the S55 that is in the M3/M4 (which is an uptuned N55 that has gone back to twin turbos like on the N54, if I understand correctly).

And I don't mind that at all. I don't mind turbo at all as opposed to NA. Besides, much like EPS, FI is the way of the future for power.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #32
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
I understand that it should be a detuned version of the S55 that is in the M3/M4 (which is an uptuned N55 that has gone back to twin turbos like on the N54, if I understand correctly).

And I don't mind that at all. I don't mind turbo at all as opposed to NA. Besides, much like EPS, FI is the way of the future for power.
I entirely agree with you. But the N55 isn't the same as the S55, and the N55 is inferior for an M car IMO.
      07-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #33
killerhurtalot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:

The S55 is a derivative of the N55, but it's got new materials in the engine block making it more resistant to heat and pressure.

They also over bored chamber, (it's 3027 cc vs 2979 cc in the N55), Forged piston heads and etc to withstand the higher boost pressure and temps, all the other stuff...

Just from the slight increase in the displacement size alone, it'll feel different than the N55...

Personally though, I consider the 1M a actual M car just because of how god damn good it felt driving it even with a N54 engine... If the M2 retains the same attributes with a N55 engine, I'd call it a M car.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #34
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

I'm confident that it will.
BMW knows they have lost a lot of the appeal of the M3/M4, and now it is a status symbol rather than a driving enthusiast's dream. They have to know that they need to get that back, and the M2 is the perfect vehicle to do that (since they made the piss-poor decision to make the 1M limited production).
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #35
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

If you're talking N54 vs N55, I owned them both and I like the N55 better. My N55 is quicker off the line with noticeably less turbo lag than my N54 was, and that was before I had PPK installed. Even though they had two different transmissions, that had nothing to do with the turbo lag. It's true that the N54 has more tuning options and is more reliable regarding tuning, but most people don't care about that. For everyday use the N55 is as reliable as you'll ever need.
      07-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #36
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
If you're talking N54 vs N55
The N54 has been retired. I never mentioned the N54, only that the N55 is inferior for an M car. Clearly BMW M felt the same way as they didn't use it in the M3/4 and instead heavily reconfigured it to create the S55. I have no interest in rehashing the N54 vs N55 argument. The conclusions are well established on that topic. I think it's safe to say the N54 was never a candidate.

Personally I'm hoping for a variation of the B58. Early reports are quoting between 350 and 375 bhp. Tinkered with by BMW Motorsport division that would lead to a bucket full of HP/TQ while still marginally staying below the S55 output.
      07-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #37
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
The N54 has been retired.
R.I.P.
      07-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #38
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
R.I.P.
It does still cling to life support in the z4 sdrive35is, a name that just rolls off the tongue as easily as the $70k it takes to buy one.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #39
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
It does still cling to life support in the z4 sdrive35is, a name that just rolls off the tongue as easily as the $70k it takes to buy one.
The last of a dying breed!
      09-04-2014, 07:37 AM   #40
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Update, for anyone interested. I am still 6 months out from lease end, but I spoke with my dealer (whom I genuinely trust), and he said that BMW Financial isn't going to negotiate with me on the buyout price despite the accident, or at least not enough to make it worthwhile, and he advised to just let it go at lease end.

So I come back to my other options:
1. Buy a low mileage 135 to enjoy while I wait to see if the M2 is worthwhile,
2. Lease an M235, which I test drove and found some things I really liked about it, but many things I liked less than the 1 (namely it being softer than my 135 M-spt).
3. Another brand.

My current thoughts are to go with option 1 IF I can find a 135 that fits my rather narrow requirements (Must Have: 6MT, M-Spt, heated seats, <30k miles; Really want: Black, Premium pkg, HK). So I have my dealer looking out for one coming off-lease or in a dealer auction.

I think I wouldn't be as happy with a M235 (though I'm sure I wouldn't hate it), and I haven't found another mfr car in my price range that I like anywhere close to the 135. I originally cross-shopped with a G37S, but found it also too soft and just uninspiring. It wasn't nearly as raw and visceral as the 1er.

Basically it is gonna take one hell of a car (fingers crossed for the M2) to get me out of a 135.

I've been running 2.5 years bone stock, figuring that I can mod when the honeymoon wears off and I need to spice up the love affair, but it still hasn't worn off. That being said, my next one will get a mild tune (probably PPK) and exhaust (probably CP-E...thoughts?), and $$ permitting: the BMW PS.

Note on the CP-E: I'm not looking for the loud, raucous "look at me" sound, I'm looking for a louder volume, but something like a subdued growl rather than a screaming roar. Think Ferrari, not Mustang. Clips I've heard lend toward the CP-E for that, but I would love to hear opinions.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 01:46 PM   #41
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update, for anyone interested. I am still 6 months out from lease end, but I spoke with my dealer (whom I genuinely trust), and he said that BMW Financial isn't going to negotiate with me on the buyout price despite the accident, or at least not enough to make it worthwhile, and he advised to just let it go at lease end.

So I come back to my other options:
2. Lease an M235, which I test drove and found some things I really liked about it, but many things I liked less than the 1 (namely it being softer than my 135 M-spt).
3. Another brand.

My current thoughts are to go with option 1 IF I can find a 135 that fits my rather narrow requirements (Must Have: 6MT, M-Spt, heated seats, <30k miles; Really want: Black, Premium pkg, HK). So I have my dealer looking out for one coming off-lease or in a dealer auction.

I think I wouldn't be as happy with a M235 (though I'm sure I wouldn't hate it), and I haven't found another mfr car in my price range that I like anywhere close to the 135. I originally cross-shopped with a G37S, but found it also too soft and just uninspiring. It wasn't nearly as raw and visceral as the 1er.

Basically it is gonna take one hell of a car (fingers crossed for the M2) to get me out of a 135.

I've been running 2.5 years bone stock, figuring that I can mod when the honeymoon wears off and I need to spice up the love affair, but it still hasn't worn off. That being said, my next one will get a mild tune (probably PPK) and exhaust (probably CP-E...thoughts?), and $$ permitting: the BMW PS.

Note on the CP-E: I'm not looking for the loud, raucous "look at me" sound, I'm looking for a louder volume, but something like a subdued growl rather than a screaming roar. Think Ferrari, not Mustang. Clips I've heard lend toward the CP-E for that, but I would love to hear opinions.
Why just the Msport pkg? You know the difference between it and the sport pkg is only cosmetic, right? I can understand the sport pkg OR the Msport pkg because with both you get the wonderful sport seats and the ///M steering wheel. These two items alone are worth the price of admission. Unless, of course, the cosmetics of the Msport pkg matter to you.

Have you heard the Performance exhaust? That, coupled with the PPK and all the pops and crackles that come with it is music to the ears, plus the extra power, of course. Here, listen for yourself.

Steve

Last edited by Esteban; 09-04-2014 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #42
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Why just the Msport pkg? You know the difference between it and the sport pkg is only cosmetic, right? I can understand the sport pkg OR the Msport pkg because with both you get the wonderful sport seats and the ///M steering wheel. These two items alone are worth the price of admission. Unless, of course, the cosmetics of the Msport pkg matter to you.

Have you heard the Performance exhaust? That, coupled with the PPK and all the pops and crackles that come with it is music to the ears, plus the extra power, of course. Here, listen for yourself.

Steve

Reason for the Msport: Sport seats, steering wheel. I also like the 18" wheels, but if I got 17s, I would just go aftermarket. I don't know what comes in the Sport pkg, because my MY (2012) didn't offer a sport pkg as far as I know, only the Mspt. If the plain sport pkg has the steering wheel and seats, I could work with that. Oh, and I like the shadowline trim, but I could live with a grey headliner if the exterior trim was black. In a nutshell, I am not sure what the difference between the two is because like I said, I don't think the plain sport pkg was offered in my MY.

I also lean a little toward wanting the N55 as opposed to the N54, because the preponderance of evidence seems to indicate that the N55 is a little more reliable, even if not as easily tunable (less HPFP issues, etc) and I am not trying to build a track monster.

Exhaust: While yours does sound nice, I still think the BMW PE is not exactly the tone I am looking for. If you watch the CP-E mfr video for their Austenite catback, THAT is kinda the tone I want. Think Italian tones rather than American tones.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #43
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
THIS. or if you're really feeling rock and roll----buy a 1M :P
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #44
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
THIS. or if you're really feeling rock and roll----buy a 1M :P
I know, but this is gonna be a daily driver, and I don't want a 1M as a DD. (Actually, I would love one, but I would hate to wear it out like DD use would).
Appreciate 0