BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

just ordered my 4th set of tires for the 1er!

I burned through my run craps fast and then put the z1 star specs on my stock rims. I still have that set but barely used them before buying my DPE's. I originally had the Kumho SPTs on those rims but recently punctured the sidewall on one of the rear tires. A lot of people talked crap about putting the kumhos on expensive wheels but let me clarify, I have been nothing but satisfied with those tires. They have been GREAT daily driving tires and even withstood a fair ammount of drag strip abuse. I even had nail holes plugged in both rear tires since I've had them and the treadlife was still moderate in the rear and great in the front. I am about to put kw v1's on my car though and plan on running more negative camber (currently -1 in the front and -2 in the back) so I decided on the Nitto Invos for this round. I haven't seen many reviews for the Invos but all the ones I've read have been extremely positive so I want to give them a shot. I am sticking with the same sizes as the Kumhos which are 235/35/19 and 265/30/19. They should be here on Wednesday and I will be sure to post pics with the new rubber when they get here.
      06-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I definitely prefer practically the least expensive tires I can find on cars like we have. It's just too tempting to try to use an expensive tire well past when it's safe or when they match just because you don't want to buy another.

I have over 150k miles on my Porsche so imagine how many sets of tires that thing has burnt through. It came with Pirellis, I went slight cheaper to Dunlops, then Bridgestones then Sumitomos. My ride improved with each "downgrade"..lol. I bought some bigger aftermarket wheels with Falkens and hated them but then found the notoriously soft sidewalled Nexens which I loved so much that I stocked up two full backup sets.

I do understand that maybe I preferred the cheaper, softer sidewalled tires on my Porsche because it rode so harsh to begin with, especially with the bigger wheels. And I have busted a few wheels with tires back when I used higher end tires and the last time or two just the sidewall of the Nexen was damaged. But at least it was so cheap that I didn't feel bad just replacing both fronts.

I have KW V1s with my 19" Volks (8.5et43 and 9.5et45) and the ride is about perfect to me. My wheels came with 225/35 Falken fr and 245/35 Kumho rears. I don't have the greatest offsets so I'll probably stay with these same sizes unless I shave my rears. Some of the brands and models of tires that I like don't come in this size so I'm leaning towards Yokohama SDrives at this point. Also I hear SDrives fit fairly narrow which I need, especially if I decide to risky trying to go bigger. But if I go bigger SDrives aren't available, I'll probably go back to Sumis, or maybe Kumhos.

Let us know how the Kw V1's etc works out as well as the Invos!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
1ForAll
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92

Garage List
KW V1's? Must be getting a good deal
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

yep! great seller! very patient
      06-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Invos on and wow! Right off the bat I love these tires! they are very quiet, very grippy, and best of all nearly eliminated my fender rubbing! I will get the car washed up and post pics later. For anyone looking to run these sizes, these won't require fender rolling even on a lowered car IF you run a LITTLE bit of negative camber (F -1 R -2) or greater and assuming you have appropriate offsets.