BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Bim135AUS
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I

R Spec wheels/ tyres for Track Days

R spec tyres for Tracking
I'm looking at sourcing R spec wheel/tyre packages and have been offered a good deal on 17'' wheels and Yoko AO48R tyres or Toyo Proxes R888's.

It was suggested that I use 17" tyres from both an economy and choice point of view.

Do you guys know whether these sizes would give enough clearance with the calipers that are used on 135's? The sizes I am looking at are:

Front 225 x 45x 17 on 7.5 inch rim

Rear 255 x 40 x 17 on 8.5inch rim

I have chosen these sizes as they result in almost exactly the same diameter as 18" stock wheels/tyres but I am a bit worried about brake clearance.

Also, do you guys know what the Offsets are for stock 135 wheels?

I believe that are ET49 front and ET 52 for the rear. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks guys
BMW 135I manual AW, red Coral, Procede processor, CDV, SprintBooster, H&R Front & Rear Sway Bars, Yokohama AO50's, SouthernBM camber plates, BMW Performance Rotors, Dinan Cold Air Intake, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Oil Cooler, HPF Intercooler, Koni Front Sport Yellows, M3 rear subframe bushes
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

17x8" all around would be ideal I think, like the track wheels on the 135i below. I think his are ET45 or similar? I'd try them before buying them though. If you use the same size wheel and tyre all around you can then rotate them to even out wear. You may dial out some of the factory understeer too.
ET49 & 52 sounds right but I can't remember which is the front and which is the rear?
Attached Images

10-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

A048 is old stock. They have A050 now and it is a much much much better tyre.

A048 does not work in Victoria. If you want to go to Sandown, Winton or Boardford. Stay away from them. In PI, I like them because it is good on high speed corners and very predictable.
R888 I don't like them unless it is in the wet. They are much better in the wet then any S tyres out there.

I am now very convince about the Dunlop. They are about $200 more ($600 for 18") and the D03J are just perfect. I am still running on the D02J on my RX-8 and still wearing nicely. They are one compound softer but they are much gripper and easy to warm up. The downside is they only less ten laps - you need to slow down - as they overheats on the 11th lap.

Besides Dunlop, I also like the Bridgestone. I think there are still RE55S out there but the RE11S is replacing them and I have not been reading latest Jap mag to see what they are like. But the B'stone dealers here is very inconsistent in getting the stock so for long term sake, I will stick with the Dunlop and buy them from Stuckey. They are the Australian dealer and get stock every 2 weeks.

Anyway, stick with the brand you know... I have used 4 brands over 6 years in my RX-8... it is kind of expensive (but I had fun).

17" may be good, make sense for $ and perheps weight (unless you use lightweight alloy like me - seriously if you want a second set for track you should spend money to get something good - my track rim is 7kg only and the 18" semis is just as heavy if not heavier. If I go 17" it will be worst ... anyhow).

The fact that I want you to reconsider - and I told this to WAY before he purchased his BBS. 18" gives more air for the brake to cool. The fact that he cooks his brakes at Sandown in the stock set up, meaning the BMW design was shit around the front end to cool the brakes. If you put 17" in there, it will make it worse. Think of the weight increase from road wheels, faster and less air. You need to change brake fluid and pad compound major.... and bring a spare pad with you on the track.

My 2 cent worth.

There is something I cut and paste in my blog
http://taka-rx8.blogspot.com/search/label/S-tyre
      10-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Oh. I forgot to commend about the A048 that it is very tyre pressure sensitive.

37 psi warm is very different from 34 psi warm. You will find you are chasing pressure all day and not concentrate on driving.
      10-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
Bim135AUS
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I

Thanks for the reply, Takahashi

Much appreciated.

Seems like I should keep away form A048's and look at the A050's instead in Yoko brand
BMW 135I manual AW, red Coral, Procede processor, CDV, SprintBooster, H&R Front & Rear Sway Bars, Yokohama AO50's, SouthernBM camber plates, BMW Performance Rotors, Dinan Cold Air Intake, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Oil Cooler, HPF Intercooler, Koni Front Sport Yellows, M3 rear subframe bushes
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 03:10 AM   #6
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I am with Taka. Dunlops are quick too if that is what you are after. You will see that most Targa guys use Dunlops. And Taka is also right about having no air cooling on the 135i for brakes. I don't think there is room for it either.
Appreciate 0