BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

How to tell if oil was changed ?!

I just took car to a new dealer to do an in between oil change. Dealer called and said car was ready, and had its. 30,000 maintenance. I asked how much oil change was and he said it didn't need one yet. I said thats the reason I took the car in and please do one. He said ok it will be about another hour. I picked up car and all is fine.

The strange thing is that the service computer was reset and is saying 4300 ( its was at -750 when I dropped it off) miles till next service, seems kinda QUICK to me?! I asked them and they said it will adjust according to my driving style. But I thought it starts at 15000 by default and adjusts from there. Also my engine has dust on it and the oil filter cover still has dust on it too. So now Im wondering if oil was even changed. How can I tell without a dip stick?!
      08-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

No real way to tell. You could remove/open the oil filter housing and look at the filter inside. But even new oil will turn black in a D.I. very quickly. So the oil won't be golden but black. I'd say only way to know for sure your oil was changed was to do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep

I opened the oil fill on top of engine and the oil collected around cap looks dark golden. What Im confused about is the computer telling me I need service again in 4500 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
We don't reset the computer for customer-requested oil changes. The only time the computer is reset is when an oil change is due per CBS (condition based service) oil change (every 15k miles or once a year).

Because my dealership has some stupid rule where we're not allowed to work on our own car if it's under warranty, I make a hairline scratch on the drainplug bolt along with a matching scratch (ever so lightly) on the oil pan. If the two are still in perfect alignment, I'll make sure they do it again. I've nailed them for this twice already. On the brighter side is, they know better now.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
Because my dealership has some stupid rule where we're not allowed to work on our own car if it's under warranty, I make a hairline scratch on the drainplug bolt along with a matching scratch (ever so lightly) on the oil pan. If the two are still in perfect alignment, I'll make sure they do it again. I've nailed them for this twice already. On the brighter side is, they know better now.
That's friggin brilliant.. Getting out my eyeglass screwdriver as we speak..

It's disconcerting to not easily be able to know such a simple item has really been changed, and even more troubling that dealerships are actually "skimping" on what seems to me to be a very simple but important item.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsche-Broke View Post
That's friggin brilliant.. Getting out my eyeglass screwdriver as we speak..

It's disconcerting to not easily be able to know such a simple item has really been changed, and even more troubling that dealerships are actually "skimping" on what seems to me to be a very simple but important item.
I can't speak for every technician nor every dealer because everyone is different, but from what I've gathered in my experience, if the car looks to be one that is cared for (as opposed to the typical soccer mom and her 328i automatic with stains and dog hair in the back seat with a trunk filled to the top with bullshit), there is a 98% chance you're car will be taken care of properly.

There were a few technicians at my dealership in maryland that would literally skip the brake flush on any car that didn't look like it was taken care of. Just mark it off as complete.

I, for example, try to treat every car as if it were my own (except E65's...those can burn to the ground...just kidding...sorta). I also kind of make it a point to meet the customer as this kind of sets in a sense of accountability. Yeah sure, it takes away from flat-rate wrenching time, but it's kind of nice to put a face to the brakes that you are working on, you know?
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
I agree quite disconcerting indeed.

I had interim oil changes done on my x5 and 135 and supplied my own oil. When I looked at the receipt it read "oil top up" and the bill was approx $60 for x5 and $80 for the 135.

I questioned this and the SA assured me that the oil was changed and that they charged the top up price as it was not too difficult and was quick.

I have since sold both cars but I still wonder whether they kept my oil and just sent me on my merry way.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

As a dealership technician I have to deal with the assumption that I am a bad person that wants to rip you off.

Myself, and any of the 50 techs I work with, would never hold back an oil service or steal a customer's oil.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep

Wait! So dealerships actually sometimes don't change the oil?!?!

Any ideas why my computer was reset from -750 to 4500? It should be 15000
      08-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #10
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonly View Post

I know there is an option in ISTA/P for oil change interval conversions. Just be happy you get more frequent oil change lol
135is #502 of 586
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 09:02 PM   #11
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenus View Post
As a dealership technician I have to deal with the assumption that I am a bad person that wants to rip you off.

Myself, and any of the 50 techs I work with, would never hold back an oil service or steal a customer's oil.
It's not usually the service that concerns me, but it is quite valuable to have an insight from those who work on these cars..

When I bring my car to a BMW dealer, for some reason, I have a natural assumption that things will be done correctly, as opposed to a "jiffy lube" where the entire staff has no idea what they are working on. It's just good knowledge to know how techs think and approach the product they work on.

I believe the issue sneaking in is that people in general have a "genetic" distrust of dealerships in general. Brands like BMW and MB have made great strides in restoring this relationship, but it still exists and this thread will definitely keep my senses up. It's not a negative in my opinion, but something you do as a responsible owner and not some broad that beats the crap out of a great car because, "it was a nice color" and her hubby bought it with pocket change.

It's also why I change my own oil and do all of my own work.. When I take it in, it's going to be for crap like cabin filters and a good vacuum and wash. I know that the oil and fluids are good..

I appreciate your honest input...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 11:52 PM   #12
awns729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonly View Post

Are you sure you don't have another service or inspection or brake flush or something due in 4.5k? There's a place in idrive where you can check the interval for everything separately. Are you looking there or just looking at the indicator that shows up when you get in the car? The one that shows up will show you the time till the soonest service not only the time for the next oil change.
Appreciate 0