BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-29-2017, 08:46 PM   #1
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Xenon bulb won't light after swapping

Hi fellow 1addict...I have a problem with my xenon lights. I initially had a problem with one of my xenon's turning pink. So I replaced both bulbs with an aftermarket brand and all was fine for a while. But after a few months my right passenger side bulb started flickering, especially (but not always) when I would go over bumps.

I swapped the xenon bulbs left to right and the problem followed so I concluded one of the bulbs was faulty. Luckily my source has agreed to warranty the flickering bulb next time I come by his shop.

But in the process if diagnosing the problem a new one has arisen: my passenger side will no longer light the bulb no matter which one I install. Cable is attached and I've tried both xenon bulbs, no luck. Initially it would just be delayed in turning on, was dim and now its totally dead. Light bulb warning and chime is present when the car turns on. Pulled the code and Carly reports "Right low beam broken. Code 00A8AB"

Any ideas on what I broke while swapping these bulbs? Or is this symptomatic of an underlying problem that also caused the original replacement bulb to start flickering? I had the car power in the complete "off" mode but lighting switch on "Auto" when I swapped the bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
Stewy_604
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i M-Sport

Sounds like a ballast issue to me. You could always try swapping a ballast from left to right, see if the problem still exists? Remember, anytime you're un-plugging wires, sensors, etc...its always a good idea to un-plug the battery. I don't think this would've had an effect on your issue, but its just good practice.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 11:34 PM   #3
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy_604 View Post
Sounds like a ballast issue to me. You could always try swapping a ballast from left to right, see if the problem still exists? Remember, anytime you're un-plugging wires, sensors, etc...its always a good idea to un-plug the battery. I don't think this would've had an effect on your issue, but its just good practice.
You were right. Its probably what killed the original bulb and caused the new one to flicker. Eventually it just gave out. Part cost me $1,100 CAD
Can't believe it cost that much to get a light working in my car. Now my left turn signal seems to be eating bulbs too prematurely.

I hope the new LED light setups aren't that costly to repair.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 06:07 PM   #4
Stewy_604
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i M-Sport

$1,100 CAD for the ballast? Ouch!
Appreciate 0