BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
ThereCanBeOnly1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lame family vehicle

Anyone seen this 1M for sale in Louisiana?

Its at a dealer- Moss BMW.

http://www.mossmotorsbmw.com/used/BM...d1abe50ad0.htm

In the pics, it looks very dirty- the leather on the steering wheel has god knows what on it.

Anyone seen this/know the story on it?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 04:02 PM   #2
Shroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M, 2012 X5M, AMG E 63 S Wagon

The car looks dirty and dusty...needs some love bad. The steering wheel looks like Sun fade/dry leather on the wheel. That happens when you park the car outside for it's life and you get all day sun into the cabin...on top of never treating the leather wheel with a leather cleaner/conditioner. Sunscreen buildup from hands and wear etc makes it look like that. The BMW staring wheels are very tough and will clean and moisturize back to close to normal pretty quickly if you clean and moisturize several times with like Lexol or better. Yeah the car looks pretty trashed cosmetically but it's amazing what a good and total detail will do to a car that had no care it's whole life.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #3
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
that is a really great price.

i'm sure that interior can be improved very easily with a nice clean and interior detail. someone should jump on that!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereCanBeOnly1
Its at a dealer- Moss BMW.

http://www.mossmotorsbmw.com/used/BM...d1abe50ad0.htm

In the pics, it looks very dirty- the leather on the steering wheel has god knows what on it.

Anyone seen this/know the story on it?
I was emailed pics of the car before it was "cleaned up" as the photos now reflect. It was even worse than those photos. Maybe it was driven down a dirt road whenever it left the house?

No matter what the case, I wouldn't want to buy a car that was treated so poorly. The dirtiness may reflect deeper maintenance neglect, poor driving habits/ability, and overall carelessness by the previous owner.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #5
Shroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, I agree with Chris…you could certainly clean it up but my guess is it wasn't cared for very well. Amazing anyone posts pictures of cars in this condition. How hard it is to clean them up, sheesh!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 06:05 AM   #6
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroom
Yeah, I agree with Chrisyou could certainly clean it up but my guess is it wasn't cared for very well. Amazing anyone posts pictures of cars in this condition. How hard it is to clean them up, sheesh!
FWIW- I had them send me the maintenance history, which, err, had the original owner's address on them. Google earth suggested he had a nice house with a multi-car garage not down a dirt road. #thethingswedoforour1m
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 08:56 AM   #7
ThereCanBeOnly1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
FWIW- I had them send me the maintenance history, which, err, had the original owner's address on them. Google earth suggested he had a nice house with a multi-car garage not down a dirt road. #thethingswedoforour1m
I was wondering how you figured out the owner....

You're like my wife- she is basically a professional E-Stalker. You can find out SO much with just a few minutes and a computer.

I've thought about this car and I just can't get past the dirtiness. I'm gonna keep waiting for something else to come along. I need it to be perfect, but also not cost $60k.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 09:08 AM   #8
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
I was wondering how you figured out the owner....

You're like my wife- she is basically a professional E-Stalker. You can find out SO much with just a few minutes and a computer.

I've thought about this car and I just can't get past the dirtiness. I'm gonna keep waiting for something else to come along. I need it to be perfect, but also not cost $60k.
I hear you- but it's a shame, really. You can buy a new steering wheel and shift knob for a ~450 and get a proper detail for $500. Why Moss won't make that investment, take proper photos and ask a bunch more is beyond me (and I told them as much).

As long as it's mechanically sound (all service was done, never saw water, etc.) and not driven too hard (I couldn't find any record of the prior owner having been a member of BMW CCA, having taken the car to NOLA or any brake services)... then what you're likely looking at is a neglected (but not abused) lease turn in.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #9
Shroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

CSurf, thats good info. Funny how the tiny seeds of doubt grow from seeing pictures like that. The smallest things turn into the largest mental images of buyers…especially at these prices. I'm the worst falling into that trap. It's probably worth a trip to investigate. Be great if someone was local and could check it out. The house would make me feel better about it, even from a perception standpoint. My thought is someone bought it and just drove it without worrying about much, parked it outside every day and just lived with it. Probably wasn't a obsessive owner or a "car person" If it could be grabbed for 53-55 or so might be worth it. Nice sleuthing!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #10
ThereCanBeOnly1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroom View Post
CSurf, thats good info. Funny how the tiny seeds of doubt grow from seeing pictures like that. The smallest things turn into the largest mental images of buyers…especially at these prices. I'm the worst falling into that trap. It's probably worth a trip to investigate. Be great if someone was local and could check it out. The house would make me feel better about it, even from a perception standpoint. My thought is someone bought it and just drove it without worrying about much, parked it outside every day and just lived with it. Probably wasn't a obsessive owner or a "car person" If it could be grabbed for 53-55 or so might be worth it. Nice sleuthing!
Its already listed at 49k. If someone local there wants to take a look at it in person, I'd be willing to repay somehow- maybe a six-pack of something nice via me paypalling you $20 or something?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #11
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
CSurf, thats good info. Funny how the tiny seeds of doubt grow from seeing pictures like that. The smallest things turn into the largest mental images of buyersespecially at these prices. I'm the worst falling into that trap. It's probably worth a trip to investigate. Be great if someone was local and could check it out. The house would make me feel better about it, even from a perception standpoint. My thought is someone bought it and just drove it without worrying about much, parked it outside every day and just lived with it. Probably wasn't a obsessive owner or a "car person" If it could be grabbed for 53-55 or so might be worth it. Nice sleuthing!
Its already listed at 49k. If someone local there wants to take a look at it in person, I'd be willing to repay somehow- maybe a six-pack of something nice via me paypalling you $20 or something?
They'll take 48k. My guess is they own it cheap- speaks to the prior owner's lack of awareness. I was very close before lifting jalucianil 's 1M (I was willing to pay a lot more for lower miles).

Moss was OK with me hiring a third party to inspect it. You should consider doing the same. My biggest fear was water (not dirt). Again, that area saw a ton of flooding in 2012-13. That said, it's highly unlikely there's water damage and if it did (and you discovered it quickly), you'd likely have recourse to the dealer. Would be odd for the first owner to go to great lengths to hide water damage, yet turn it in, in a state that would likely raise suspicion.

IMHO- I'd push them to CPO (not extended warranty) it. It'd run you $3k-ish, but they'd never be able to if it there was something majorly suspect about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #12
Shroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I used The Lemon Squad AND a forum member to check out Perillo's low mile black 1M. Thank god I did, they found body work and other issues. The forum member gave me eyes and general feeling of the car..the inspector gave me technical info. Yeah I payed 150.00 for the inspection but it saved me 60 grand from buying an accident car otherwise represented as a perfect specimen by the dealer.

If you are serious about possibly pulling the trigger, have these guys go look at the car for you. They will write you a report regarding everything. Tell them in the comment section you want the paint depth checked and gaps checked for accidents. They will send pictures and everything.

I don't know who the tech is in that area, but the Chicago tech was very good. Saved me a plane trip and countless hours of my life. They will give the car a final grade. If it passes, then maybe you make a trip to see it or buy it unseen by you and take a chance. Get the car certified and you should be ok.

http://www.lemonsquad.com/index.php

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #13
ThereCanBeOnly1
Private First Class
Rep

Never heard of lemon squad- I will read about this.

I'd never buy a car unseen without a PPI- with the rare exception of if it came from a forum member I knew personally or something like that. Even one from a dealer.

Good point about getting it CPOd. Plus, right now if I CPOd it BMW is offering .9% financing on CPOs, so that could offset some of the CPO cost, plus with the CPO I should get coverage on major stuff.

Still, I have some thinking to do- that's not exactly low mileage and I worry about the PO being so uncaring about the car.

What I SHOULD have done was get my ass up to Weston and buy the local car. Took too long and missed it. It's a 700 mile drive from Louisiana to Miami. That's also somewhat of an issue. Thanks for all the ideas fellas- I'm thinking.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #14
ThereCanBeOnly1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I used The Lemon Squad AND a forum member to check out Perillo's low mile black 1M. Thank god I did, they found body work and other issues. The forum member gave me eyes and general feeling of the car..the inspector gave me technical info. Yeah I payed 150.00 for the inspection but it saved me 60 grand from buying an accident car otherwise represented as a perfect specimen by the dealer.
Right- and that's what freaks me out- is Perillo still listing that car as perfect? I've seen them listing some very expensive 1Ms and in my mind I think "well, those must be perfect".

Ugh.... buying my dearly departed E30 was much easier- three forum members had owned it and had all the history. I miss having a fun car.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #15
Shroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That was my first time using the Lemon Squad. I just googled inspection services and they looked like they could Vet the car decently. I really just used them to get an idea of what I was dealing with regarding the car. They would let me know If I wanted to take a trip and spend more time on it or just drop the car and move on. Needless to say I dropped the car immediately. Perillo said "look this is a straight car, no issues." I wanted to trust that but needed to verify. Sooo glad I did.
As IEDEI says..the right car will come along for you, you just need to wait for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:24 PM   #16
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

It's incredible that they didn't clean it up ??.....26,000 miles and asking more than MSRP .....wipe it down for god's sake............
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #17
kubotarog
Private
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, '87 Porsche 911 Cpe

I talked to them about this car as well. I thought they had said they would not CPO which turned me off. The .9 BMW financing is great but I believe only on 24 month terms. I am looking and have found that, in the end, it's tough to substitute seeing and driving first hand. Anything you can do to get as much info beforehand is obviously important to avoid wasted trips. My experience with the dealer owned cars is that they don't fully disclose. to me, patience is important for this type of car and money we'll have to spend.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 02:40 PM   #18
inFamousKicks
Member.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

If PPI checked out and I lived closer, I'd snatch this up. Just needs some TLC.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #19
ThereCanBeOnly1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubotarog View Post
I thought they had said they would not CPO which turned me off.
That doesn't sound good.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 06:02 PM   #20
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

A little dirty but seems like a good price. The electric seats would be a deal killer for me though.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 11:19 PM   #21
methodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 Le Mans 135i Vert

There are 2 white ones at carmax right now. I've seen various colors from them in the past as I used to search for that car. One is 40 thousand miles for $50k the other has only 13 thousand miles for $56k and you can get their extended warranty and they will cover the power train. I have heard mixed reviews on their warranty. I had it but never needed to use it.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #22
ThereCanBeOnly1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
A little dirty but seems like a good price. The electric seats would be a deal killer for me though.
Aren't they all electric?
Appreciate 0