E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > BMW M Coupe vs Ghostrider biker

11-17-2005, 03:13 AM   #1
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

BMW M Coupe vs Ghostrider biker

This is the way to take bends
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...9&q=ghostrider

Sorry for the heavy traffic.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 05:43 AM   #2
cbljkkj
Rep
Drives: 320I

That was the best chase sequence period. That 14 minute clip was just madness. The Z3 M Coupe was quick and hats off to Ghostrider on those awesome corners. Pickup on that superbike was like a rocket!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 06:52 AM   #3
matze328
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B3S Coupé

"Thanks for your interest in Google Video.

Currently, the playback feature of Google Video isn't available in your country.

We hope to make this feature available more widely in the future, and we really appreciate your patience."

11-17-2005, 06:56 AM   #4
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

http://www.ghostridermovie.net/
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 07:24 AM   #5
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

awesome clip. Just got my dose of adrenalin for the morning. That is some balls busting speed and turns. Anyone care to give me the run down on what is ghostrider story is? What did they mean when they said ghostrider went on undercover? It just an awesome clip that I just want to learn more about it. Why the z3 M stopped and then pulled away at the end?

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
jesus!
      11-17-2005, 09:22 PM   #7
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I think the guy in the M coupe has more skills ..........
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 10:27 PM   #8
kt157
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: jet black 330i

riding a a bike is way more technical then driving a car
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 10:30 PM   #9
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
M coupe clearly took corners better than ghostrider.

damn that was awesome. watching that vid makes me want to get a M coupe.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 10:34 PM   #10
Simple1
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i M Sport

of course the guy in the M has more skills, not because it's a Bmw but because a bike generally handles better than a car so I wasn't surprised how good he stuck on to the car!! the drifts were so awesome!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 10:54 PM   #11
kt157
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: jet black 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple1
of course the guy in the M has more skills, not because it's a Bmw but because a bike generally handles better than a car so I wasn't surprised how good he stuck on to the car!! the drifts were so awesome!
ahhhh... no! a car will out handle a bike anyday. a car will pull more g's then a bike. look at a f1 car and a motogp bike. f1 cars lap about 20sec faster then motogp bikes
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 11:12 PM   #12
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt157
riding a a bike is way more technical then driving a car
I never argued that.

They were weaving in and out of traffic, all spaces are much tighter for the car than were for the bike. And some of those run-abouts they took were extremely narrow, the car's tires missed curbs by inches.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 11:34 PM   #13
db17k
Chicketeh china the chinese chicken, you have?
Rep
Drives: 335ci hold out

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Thumbs up

Riding is harder, PERIOD. but that driver was daaamnn good! he takes those corners like a pro. if my rear end slipped out like that i'd

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 12:26 AM   #14
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep

Quote:
M coupe clearly took corners better than ghostrider
No it didn't. The driver was showboating and that M Coupe was way loose in the rear. Damn near every turn, that driver had the ass end sliding out because it looks way cool.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 01:07 AM   #15
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDriver
No it didn't. The driver was showboating and that M Coupe was way loose in the rear. Damn near every turn, that driver had the ass end sliding out because it looks way cool.
I didn't say M coupe was best driver in the world. Sliding the rear a little does happen when taking a near-sharp turn at highspeed. If you think that little sliding is cool, you haven't seen real ass sliding. But yes, few turns he did good, but few turns he had hard time controlling the rear a bit. Like when you watch the end of the clip, M coupe did a little burn out after he took a sharp corner.

Either ghostrider didn't try he's best, or explain why M coupe was pulling in every corner.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 01:28 AM   #16
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep

Quote:
Sliding the rear a little does happen when taking a near-sharp turn at highspeed.
Not if you want to drive fast.

Sliding a car means you have applied too much of a lateral load on the rear tires, which means they can't put power down to move the car forward and make it go fast. If we look at driving fast in a highly academic way, it is all about weight and traction management; you want to come around a corner with the maximum lateral load on the tires without exceeding that value. Watch an F1 race sometime; the only time the drivers get the ass of their car sideways is when they mess up- and that applies at Monaco just as much as it applies at Spa.

Quote:
Either ghostrider didn't try he's best, or explain why M coupe was pulling in every corner.
I'll be happy to explain- cars are faster in braking zones and around corners then bikes. Period.

Cars have 4 tire contact patches and they are significantly larger the the 2 contact patches on a motorcycle. Not only does a car have a higher lateral grip/weight ratio then a motorcycle, but with 4 contact patches, the car has a much higher margin of safety.

There was a Top Gear episode where they had a pro motorcycle racer against Clarkson (who is a good driver, but not a racing driver) in a bone stock Porsche 911 (of the 993 vintage). On the start, the bike jumped forward and had a nice lead, but the 911 flew by in the first brake zone and then just whipped the bike's ass. Over the 1.3 mile top gear test track, the 911 finished 4 seconds ahed of the bike- and that's with a piker driving it.

Also, this chase took place in traffic and the motorcycle is much smaller, so he can slip through holes that the M Coupe cannot. The whole thing was very interesting, but hardly a meaningful test of which driver or car is actually faster. Way too many variables and we don't know how much of the thing was show and how much was an actual race.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 02:18 AM   #17
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not if you want to drive fast.

Sliding a car means you have applied too much of a lateral load on the rear tires, which means they can't put power down to move the car forward and make it go fast. If we look at driving fast in a highly academic way, it is all about weight and traction management; you want to come around a corner with the maximum lateral load on the tires without exceeding that value. Watch an F1 race sometime; the only time the drivers get the ass of their car sideways is when they mess up- and that applies at Monaco just as much as it applies at Spa.
The way M coupe was trying to drive by looking at how he try to manage the movement of the vehicle, he obviously wasn't aiming for drifting action(so called go-sideways). He did apply lateral load on the rear tires, but in general street get-away driving situation and considering the road condition, you really can't control the rear nor any tires as much. To me, it looked like he didn't intend to slide the rear, yet "trying" to manage highest grip possible with those tires through out the corner, but because the road condition doesn't allow, and without taking the corner-speed down too much, he had take those corners without keeping the foot off the throttle which causes rear to slide slightly. Try to go grip in local streets, it'll be almost impossible. The road condition just won't allow the tires to. Too many rocks, dirts, debris will get in your way. You'll eventually lose grip somewhere if you try to take a high-speed turn, or if you want to prevent it, you'll have to slow down a bit. The way he tried to take corner almost reminded me of when 4WD vehicles go in power slide motion, taking a turn without taking the foot of the gas pedal for maxium grip and fastest turn speed. Not that im saying its the same. The F1 is totally different story, the way those machines are built is not even close to street intended automotive machines. Not only the center of gravity is so low, wide suspension pattern and they have awesome tires to begin with. And I am sure the track course the F1 cars race aren't quite same as your local streets. This arguement will almost come down to drifting vs grip in corner.

Quote:
I'll be happy to explain- cars are faster in braking zones and around corners then bikes. Period.
Not quite what I expected to hear, but I guess that says everything. I obviously was predicting something with 4 wheels spreaded out in each corner will handle better than something with 2 wheels. As for braking zones, good catch. I forgot about that. Even in high-speed, fast paced corners where braking wasn't needed, motorcycle was falling behind.

Im glad I didn't pick a bike over my e90.

Quote:
Also, this chase took place in traffic and the motorcycle is much smaller, so he can slip through holes that the M Coupe cannot. The whole thing was very interesting, but hardly a meaningful test of which driver or car is actually faster. Way too many variables and we don't know how much of the thing was show and how much was an actual race.
Exactly. Like I said, This video obviously won't prove anything.
but the way M coupe tried to get away wasn't bad at all. Not an average rich-ass daily driver.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 03:21 AM   #18
ON325i
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Garage List
2006 e90 325i  [0.00]
i just enjoy the 14 minutes show....

and amused by the fact how the M coupe "gets away" in the end ... that is hiliarious!!!
      11-18-2005, 03:34 AM   #19
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep

Quote:
Not an average rich-ass daily driver.
The sheer looks of the M Coupe ('The Racing Shoe') tend to drive the rich ass posers away towards Boxters and other vehicles. I have yet to meet a single M Coupe driver who hasn't had his shoe on the track at least 2 or 3 times. Unfortunatly, I think the looks of the new M Coupe (the Z4 based one) are going to attract the posers in droves. Shame... that's going to be one hell of a car.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 03:51 AM   #20
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The sheer looks of the M Coupe ('The Racing Shoe') tend to drive the rich ass posers away towards Boxters and other vehicles. I have yet to meet a single M Coupe driver who hasn't had his shoe on the track at least 2 or 3 times. Unfortunatly, I think the looks of the new M Coupe (the Z4 based one) are going to attract the posers in droves. Shame... that's going to be one hell of a car.
Agree. somehow, most M coupe owners seem very enthusiastic. The Racing Shoe is an awesome nick name!

Why would you say that about the new Z4 M coupe though? Too fancy? (which I think it is) Just curious.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 05:57 AM   #21
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep

Quote:
Why would you say that about the new Z4 M coupe though? Too fancy?
Well, the fact that it is fancy is a symptom.

The original M Coupe was a skunk project by some hardcore oldtimers at BMW who wanted to build a hardcore sports car without any pretense of the luxury crap that has been creeping into BMWs over the last decade. It was a raw, uncomprimising driver's machine and I think they wanted it to be ugly the same way that really beautiful women are sort of mean. They only wanted people who were truly dedicated to the idea of a hardcore driving experience to buy one and that succeeded. I don't think the M Coupe ever made any money, it was more of a statement about the status of BMW's DNA then it ever was a moneymaking venture.

The new Z4 based Coupe isn't about that sort of statement. It is designed to be a commercial success for a chassis model which has been somewhat lackluster in the market (apparently, roadsters are down across the board). I think BMW had it in the back pocket just in case Porsche put a real roof on the Boxter, which they did, so BMW came out with the Z4 Coupe. It is going to sell like hotcakes and, just like the M3, ever rich asshole is going to buy his schmucky 17 year old one of them and 2% of the cars will end up wrapped around a tree...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 08:23 AM   #22
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Glad my kids weren't playing ball in the street that day...
Appreciate 0