BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
Cav 02
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Delivery Question

Long time lurker, first time poster with an issue someone might be able to help me out with:

I'm currently in Iraq and I've placed an order on a 135i vert. It will be stateside long before I get home. I can get it delivered to Pennsylvania or Delaware and have a family member with power of attorney pick it up/take care of it for 3 months, or I can get it sent to a dealer in Georgia, South Carolina or Florida.

Should I let it sit at the dealer down the street from my GA residence for 3 months and take the sales tax hit, or let it sit at a dealer in SC or Florida, bum a ride to that state and pay a little less sales tax? Or is the family member/power of attorney option the best way to go?

Anyone have any knowledge about sales tax/other fees in those states that may help me narrow my options?

I'd appreciate any advice you all have.

Life and death decisions every day, and I can't figure this one out.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
jeff
Jeff
Rep
Drives:

I could very well be wrong on this, but I think you will have to end up paying the sales tax for the vehicle in the state in which you register the vehicle. Many states will force you to pay the difference in sales tax to the state in which you live, thereby negating the advantage of purchasing out of state. I am guessing your rate will be (Georgia @7%).

I don't know the effect your military status will have. It sounds like you are either military or a contractor. I am guessing military as it’s a 135i and not an m5 =). (Nothing demeaning toward the car or military service) I was just highlighting the fact that they (contractors) receive disproportionately higher pay. Good luck, and if you need someone in Georgia to take delivery for you I can do it. My fee will be assessed to the vehicle at 250 miles per month of storage. :w00t:
      09-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
IrvRobinson2
Banned
Rep
Drives:

contact Terry at the ED office in NJ,she handles all Military sales.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 07:10 AM   #4
Cav 02
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0