BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-15-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Thumbs up 1st REAL LIFE pictures of 09 Pro Navigation/iDrive

As requested I went in to 'visit' my car at the dealership again today armed with my camera. And I was able to get some photos which hopefully give a better idea of how the new fixed iDrive screen looks. In my opinion it looks pretty good and it doesn't stick up very far. Whatever you may think about how it physically looks is frankly immaterial though as the resolution of the screen and the functionality is so much better.

Can't show you the menus etc because the car hasn't been programmed yet but there have already been plenty of links showing that.

So, here are the photos, including one more gratuitous outside shot. The sedona red looked gorgeous in the sunlight but it was really hard to convey this via a camera.
Attached Images

2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
I'm not feeling it. It looks too after market.
      09-15-2008, 07:16 AM   #3
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

+1 Damn BMW....just ruined a perfectly nice interior.
      09-15-2008, 07:35 AM   #4
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Like the size of the screen and idea of better resolution however, not sure I like the look of the new NAV sitting there on the dash. Looks like an after though instead of something that is fully integrated. May look better in real life though.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep

Garage List
It does look better in real life I have to say. My photos didn't come out brilliantly and when you are sitting in the drivers seat you don't see the sides of the casing. All you can see is the screen.

The plastic they have used seems to be the same as the plastic on the rest of the dashboard so at least it matches.

Regardless I'm very happy with it because I know it will be great to use. I've had a couple of sessions playing with an 09 3er.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
IMHO this will make the 2008's w/navi even more desirable. It just interrupts the dash to much.
      09-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #7
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Don't know where the hate's coming from here, it looks just fine to me.... I thought the whole pop-up screen deal from '08 was a bit cheesy, myself.

I don't know how I'm feeling about the open compartment in lieu of the closable one on the lower console that is sold in the U.S., though. Probably much more convenient, but the rubber matting looks a little cheap. I could go either way there.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #8
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep

Garage List
I ticked the option for 'delete smokers package' because I don't smoke and could definitely use the extra storage area. It looks fine and now I have somewhere for my wallet or a passenger to put their phone.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123D-M View Post
I ticked the option for 'delete smokers package' because I don't smoke and could definitely use the extra storage area. It looks fine and now I have somewhere for my wallet or a passenger to put their phone.
Ah. They don't offer a "delete smokers package" option in the U.S. If there's even a small cost savings by doing that, I would definitely select it if available.

I wish we had the kind of options that Europeans do!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #10
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep

Garage List
Absolutely everything is available as a separate option here. Of course I didn't save any money by deleting the smokers package but they did have the good grace not to charge me extra. It was €0.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
JLight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Excellent 123D-M. I am really excited about my new 09 now, even more so thanks to your posts of the new iDrive screen.

I will say that the side shot does leave me with a question on how the screen will look from the side however, from the front I am very very happy with the larger screen and I continue to hear that the clarity of the new screen and the ease-of-use is exceptional.

Keep the pictures coming, can't wait to see the screen in action. When do you get to pick up your car???
6-Man, Comf. Access, PDC, Nav, HD, Sat. Radio, Premium Hi-Fi, Ipod, Smartphone integ.
- Finished Production 1st week of Sept. -
- 9/11/08 = 1er arrived at the port
- 9/16/08 = Don Q to USA
- 10/3/08 = Arrived to VPC in Georgia
- Estimated Delivery = WHO KNOWS?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #12
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep

Garage List
Well I organised my registration this morning and my insurance is done. Just got off the phone with a sign maker who is making me a vinyl sticker plate for the front which I can pick up Wednesday. And BMW confirmed they would have my car programmed and prepped by Wednesday.

So I will be picking it up late Wednesday or early Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #13
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Don't know where the hate's coming from here, it looks just fine to me.... I thought the whole pop-up screen deal from '08 was a bit cheesy, myself.

I don't know how I'm feeling about the open compartment in lieu of the closable one on the lower console that is sold in the U.S., though. Probably much more convenient, but the rubber matting looks a little cheap. I could go either way there.
No hate here. :smile: Some people don't like the navi at all. It's just my worthless opinion. This new design does open up the possibility of upgrading your existing navi... It would be expensive, but could be done.
      09-15-2008, 10:37 AM   #14
Zonian22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi S3

I'm not going to argue that the new nav is better and more powerful than the 08, but as stated above, the new nav does look like an after-thought. First of all, there is just way too much plastic and the lines of the plastic covering do not seem to flow right with the rest of the interior. I'm not hating, I'm just suggesting that BMW should have went with the traditional double hump look (that would have eliminated that 'way too much plastic after-thought' look). The double hump set-up would have also integrated the new nav with the rest of the interior very nicely, as opposed to looking like the nav was just placed on top of the dash. :iono:
      09-15-2008, 10:56 AM   #15
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

I don't like it. I find the nav screen to be a distraction and am very happy I can get rid of it and control everything from the wheel or voice command when I want to with the pop-up version. My "hate" for the new version stems from the fact that I generally can't stand cars with nav.

Black on an LCD screen is NOT black, it glows. If you ever plan on driving at night, plan an having a glowing screen in your vision.

The position of the nav in the 1 means the cars next to you and behind you get perfect views - just hope they aren't so busy reading your song titles that they rear end you. If you like the bling-bling look I suppose this is a good thing.

The nav screen, small as it is, does block your vision. Sweeping downhill rights are very different with my screen up vs down.

The reason I enjoy the 1's interior is that it is spartan by today's standards. It is driver oriented, hearkening back to the e30 and e36 layouts. With my nav closed and the A/C off, I have ZERO lights on my console. That is a beautiful thing IMO. When I am driving, I don't need blinking lights on the radio to keep myself or my passengers amused.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #16
sf42ninetysixx
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Ah. They don't offer a "delete smokers package" option in the U.S. If there's even a small cost savings by doing that, I would definitely select it if available.

I wish we had the kind of options that Europeans do!
I'm not so sure. I was talking with my SA about the difference in ordering a BMW in Europe and NA.

In Europe they have to pay for every single option imaginable. If you go to the BMW website, choose any European country, and build your car you'll see you pay more in the end. They have options for the front windshield solar shade tint and just some of the weirdest options that come stock in NA Bimmers.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #17
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep

Garage List
It's true. We pay a lot more than you do in NA. But we have more choice. And some European countries pay even more than Belgium. My 123d was €44k which is about $62k. Then I pay €2.5k registration. A 135i is a LOT more.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #18
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

The pics are taken from an unusual perspective. Try sitting in the driver seat and take a the pic. Great color choice by the way!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #19
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony@rissracing View Post
The pics are taken from an unusual perspective. Try sitting in the driver seat and take a the pic. Great color choice by the way!
hehe. True. The first couple I had the camera up above the instrument cowl. Trying to give you all a detailed view of it. The third picture in portrait format is pretty much what you see from the drivers seat. Camera was back next to my head.

Thanks! I am in love with the colour. My dealer had close to 200 cars out the back waiting for customers and mine was the ONLY red BMW. There were a few red Minis but the rest were black/grey. Mine totally stood out.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 11:39 AM   #20
JLight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Don't forget to snap a picture of the new control module as well
6-Man, Comf. Access, PDC, Nav, HD, Sat. Radio, Premium Hi-Fi, Ipod, Smartphone integ.
- Finished Production 1st week of Sept. -
- 9/11/08 = 1er arrived at the port
- 9/16/08 = Don Q to USA
- 10/3/08 = Arrived to VPC in Georgia
- Estimated Delivery = WHO KNOWS?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #21
monaco1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

its amazing how the people who have MY 08 with nav dont like the new i drive because they cant have it and the people who ordered MY 09 with the new idrive like it because the do have it
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 12:11 PM   #22
pavelitto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Performance

I postponed the production of my car just to get the new I-drive and nav without even seeing any pictures back in july. I was a little scared but now I can say I am happy the way it looks. It doesn't fit the car that nicely as lets' say 6 series but it is not "overwhelming" in any way. Definitely the size of the screen and the capabilities of the new nav are incredible compared to the old one. Some don't like the new screen but let's face the true, the old one wasn't pretty either.