BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 Montego Blue 135i

Too much camber? Tires wearing funny...

These tires were semi-new when I bought the car back in April. I'm not sure how many miles they had on them, but they looked nearly new.

I've put roughly 10k miles on them over the summer.

As you can see the inner tire is wearing extremely fast.

The toe is fine on the alignment, but it might be running too much camber.

The cars got Vorschlag camber plates - can I just bump out a tick mark on the plate towards the positive side without effecting any other settings (toe / caster)?

Should I adjust my pressures?

The rest of the tire looks pretty good, so I'd like to stretch another summer out of them if I can. I don't want to replace them with two like tires, because I'd like to move to Star Specs after next season.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

The car is lowered pretty good. Going in the garage for winter just as soon as the snow falls, but I'd like to take care of it now.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Drive harder or dial in some more positive camber.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
BMWbab1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Take some camber out if this is just happening from everyday driving. If tracking the car lower pressures
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Definitely needs less camber. Also looks like more air would help.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

Your toe is out of spec. Get a real alignment and either zero it (can make the car track ruts in the road) or slightly in.

Cupping almost always is toe. I ran -2.5 for years on my other car with zero toe and no weird wear.
      11-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post
Your toe is out of spec. Get a real alignment and either zero it (can make the car track ruts in the road) or slightly in.

Cupping almost always is toe. I ran -2.5 for years on my other car with zero toe and no weird wear.
I'll have to check the alignment printout, but I'm pretty sure toe is right on.

It tracks fine.

Does anyone know what 1 tick mark on the vorschlag camber plate equals in actual camber? I'm thinking of pushing them out one tic.

Also, will that effect toe at all? I can't see how it would.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
DRedman45
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E86 //M coupe

Camber plates will only be so accurate, so it would really need to go on an alignment rack to be accurate....but with camber you can choose better handling and worse tire wear with more camber, or under steer and even wear

My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #8
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRedman45 View Post
Camber plates will only be so accurate, so it would really need to go on an alignment rack to be accurate....but with camber you can choose better handling and worse tire wear with more camber, or under steer and even wear
That's not correct. What is the point of camber? It is so that the tire is flat on the ground more of the time i.e: cornering, with that wear it is clearly not the case. Being on the inside edge too much is just as bad as being on the outside. Getting the alignment dialed in shouldn't result in any decrease in handling.
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 12:46 AM   #9
DRedman45
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E86 //M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
What is the point of camber? It is so that the tire is flat on the ground more of the time i.e: cornering,.
you are confusing static and dynamic camber....you run more negative camber because the dynamic effect is more positive during cornering, which is why you add more negative camber so you have more tire contact in corners. The side effect is that the neutral position(staright forward) you have less contact on the outside sidewall and more on the inside wall

If you were to get aligned with a more camber setting closer to 0* from say -2.5* then during cornering with the 0* the dynamic camber would be closer to +1-1.5* and roll over the outside side wall...that is why the 135 understeers stock. The 0* camber setting will wear more evenly during normal driving and handle worse than the 2.5*
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #10
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRedman45 View Post
you are confusing static and dynamic camber....you run more negative camber because the dynamic effect is more positive during cornering, which is why you add more negative camber so you have more tire contact in corners. The side effect is that the neutral position(staright forward) you have less contact on the outside sidewall and more on the inside wall

If you were to get aligned with a more camber setting closer to 0* from say -2.5* then during cornering with the 0* the dynamic camber would be closer to +1-1.5* and roll over the outside side wall...that is why the 135 understeers stock. The 0* camber setting will wear more evenly during normal driving and handle worse than the 2.5*
Ah ok, I somewhat simplified what I said earlier. But I am not big on the whole static/dynamic camber thing (not that this is even relevant), but if you ask me, the only time your car is truly static is when it is not moving. No movement means no tire wear so it's not really relevant.

But that's just a tangent. I will not disagree with anything you said. That is the textbook definition/basic explanation of camber. My point is that this guy is not flying around a track. I am going to make an assumption, the OP is the only one that can confirm or deny this, that he doesn't drive the car to the point where the tire will be flat. He is not producing enough standard to dynamic camber change as you put it, to be efficient. Maybe for brief moments. But it was under this assumption that I made my previous statement. Uneven camber wear does not mean the car is handling better, it means you need to dial it down. Racecars shoot for even wear all across and their sole purpose is to go fast. Obviously street cars have more purposes than that so there will be a tradeoff, but it is an example as to why you shouldn't generalize camber wear to handling or understeer.
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 05:39 AM   #11
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shot View Post
I'll have to check the alignment printout, but I'm pretty sure toe is right on.

It tracks fine.

Does anyone know what 1 tick mark on the vorschlag camber plate equals in actual camber? I'm thinking of pushing them out one tic.

Also, will that effect toe at all? I can't see how it would.
Yes, if you slide the camber plates to reduce the camber (less negative), it will increase the toe (more toe-in).

Do you track this car, or street only?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Yes, if you slide the camber plates to reduce the camber (less negative), it will increase the toe (more toe-in).

Do you track this car, or street only?
Street only, with the occasional auto-x event.

I didn't think toe would be effected since height is really the only thing that changes the length of the tie-rod arm (in relation to the rack).
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:

I didn't think toe would be effected since height is really the only thing that changes the length of the tie-rod arm (in relation to the rack).
toe will change with a camber change, but only so slightly if you are looking at just moving one click....BUT the problem is that one camber change click on each side DOES NOT equal the same amount of toe change for each respective side. the toe will be off from side to side.

My recomendation is that since you only auto cross occasionaly, that you dial back some of the neg camber maybe to -1.5 , reset your toe to zero and have at it.. You will still have great handeling and better tire wear.

in the end only an alignment will do you justice.

oddly enough, i have mine set at just over -2.5* and my tires are wearing rather well..( at least my street tires are, my track tires still take a little beating on the outside edge after a few events )
      11-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
MaDoNiOn
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 130i E81

Garage List
Interesting read about camber and toe .anybody have a simple video of someone explaining it?

English aint my first language but i can kinda figure out what you guys are saying haha

Bmw 135i Convertable White...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #15
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:

The range of toe change is about 3/16" from minimum to maximum camber settings.

I get my car aligned to -1.2 degrees camber and 1/16" toe-in with the camber plates at the minimum position. For track, I slide them to the maximum position and get -3.2 camber and 1/8" toe-out.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #16
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Hi guys

I have the same wear on my OEM runflats, BUT on the REARs. This image captures perfectly the Inner side side wall wea, and how its very visible on the initial 1/2 inch or so. The wear is so bad that my metal wires are staring to show. My tires have reached end of life.

Quote:

Do I need an alignment? Is this a bad toe in? i don't want to drive on my winters until i sort it out.

Didnt want to start a thread. So I wish to asked here.
Thanks

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #17
MMisencik157
Private
Rep
Drives: Manual

Thats toe wear not camber wear. As others have mentioned set to 0 and enjoy more tire life Also when you go get an alignment... dont just drop it off and say "align it". You must specify what you want or they'll set it to BMW acceptable ranges which kill tires. For example you could say that you want 0 toe front and rear, 6 degrees of caster and -1.5 degrees of camber front and rear if your just drive on the streets. If you drive your car more aggressively, you could go up to 1/16" or 1/8" total toe IN in the rear to help settle the rear end during more aggressive cornering and add some negative camber so you don't murder the outsides of your tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #18
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

+1 for talking to your mechanic when dropping it off. The shop that does my alignment here in Houston gives me a before and after printout. It showed my right rear toe being way out of spec which I hope is the reason why my Falken on that side lasted all of 6K miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #19
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
The tread pattern looks like PSS's which have a super soft sidewall and these tires seem to exaggerate wear on the edges of the tire when the alignment is off. I had the exact same issue with my fronts. Rears seemed to be fine. I ended up buying used pss's off ebay for the front and corrected the alignment and it worked great until I switched tires.
Appreciate 0