BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #23
ALesserMan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I have been looking into possibly saving up to get a meth kit as well. I was looking at BMS for both the JB4 and ww kit. Do any of you guys recommend doing other mods before jumping to meth? It seems like some many good benefits I just want it right away.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #24
SoIntoYou
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
I run my meth based on boost level so it allows me to run it literally on any map. For me it's the easiest setup but plan on fine tuning the setup later on to give me better flexibility on how I want it to spray.

+1. I looked at other options but in teh end I felt meth was the way to go for me. NOS to me was never an option since i've seen what it can do to an engine if its not setup right.

I wish I was back in the states. a 15 Gallon drum of meth here is about $200 or more depending on the euro rate and also it is not easy to find since it is considered a mineral spirit here and stringently controlled here.

How do you set up which psi gets meth to spray in jb4 setting?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #25
LAZ
OneThirty5Eye
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Yea, it basically only sprays when you are WOT with JB4! so you can set to map 3 all day everyday but meth wont flow untill you reach like 80% throttle!!!! I get a five gallon container of 100% meth for like $37 from a performance shop here in town. If you mix with distilled water 50/50 then that's 10 gallons of the juicy juice! Usually lasts me a little over a month before I have to buy another container!
      05-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #26
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

I do the ole' windshield wiper fluid + HEET from walmart kind of deal. Works for me.

I use Map 5 because I have a CMGS controller handling the flow, according to boost. Starts flow at 7lbs, maxes flow at 13lbs.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #27
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIntoYou View Post
How do you set up which psi gets meth to spray in jb4 setting?
The CMGS left dial controls the minimum boost start which I had set at 50% starting at 8lbs in the controls and the left dial I had set at 12lbs for 100%.

I've since then replaced the CMGS and got the FSB to control everything. Now I only use the CMGS for boost reading.

If you have the CMGS you should be able to download the instructions from coolingmist.
      05-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #28
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Gotta get me a jb4.
Buy mine lol
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #29
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Meth. Is it always flowing/on or do you turn it on and off - like you would for nos?
There's no one right answer since different meth injection systems work differently, but there wouldn't be any reason to always be spraying meth. The purpose of water or meth injection is to increase octane and/or increase cooling affect only when needed, which is at high loads (high boost) and high RPM.

Different hardware and software have different strategies on how, when, and how much to flow. Some only connect to a MAP sensor. Some read RPM as well. Some may read off one of the factory injectors, or even read fuel rail pressure to help gauge how much meth should be injected.

Simple secondary injection systems simply flip "ON" at certain set points, usually boost based, sometimes boost and RPM based. For example, the most basic systems will simply turn on fully on when MAP is at a value you choose, say 8psi or greater, but there is no flow difference between 3000rpm and 8psi and 6500rpm and 16psi. These work, but may inject too much at low rpm and low boost, and not enough at high rpm and boost. In reality, it would be better 3-4 times that at 6500rpm and 16psi than 3000rpm at 8psi, but the systems are just not "smart" enough to do that.

More advanced systems will pulse the injection system at a duty cycle similar to an actual fuel injector so you get what is called "progressive" flow. Say, you might want 25% flow (25% duty) at 8psi, and 100% flow (fully on) at 16 psi. Even yet more advanced systems (like an Aquamist HFS-4) will also read your fuel pressure and read off one of the car's existing fuel injectors to determine how much to flow. It knows based on the duty of your injector and fuel pressure how much the car itself is flowing, then multiplies that value by some settings on its own, then pulses the meth injection.