BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
BOXERatHEART
zzzzzzzzz
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Black, Black-as-Nite

Best Launch RPM

ust installed my 2-Step/NLS and I'm wondering what RPM do you guys set yours at? Or even what do all you guys without 2-Step launch your car around? Just gauging results. Thanks

Dustin
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 12:18 AM   #2
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Launch RPMs for a 2 step depends on your grip predominantly but also the level of power you have.

If you have infinite grip then you would set the 2 step at near full boost levels however if you're on simple road tyres then it really depends on how much power you have to overcome those levels of grip. Set the RPMs too high and you'll overpower the grip and just spin like crazy, ending up with crappy 60ft times.

I'm FBO with meth running max 20psi of boost in the midrange with street tyres. I don't even use the 2 step because I spin the tyres launching at 2-2.5k RPMs whilst not even dumping the clutch. The tyres then proceed to spin all the way through 1st and then 2nd gear unless I go easy on the throttle. The only reason I don't launch at lower RPMs is due to the risk of bogging.

If you are running less power with grippy street tyres then maybe you can use the 2 step function. The only way you can find your optimal launch RPMs would really be through trial and error. Maybe start at around 3500 RPMs and see how that goes. If you get too much wheel spin then your drop it by 500 RPM increments until you feel happy and your 60fts improve and vice versa if you are bogging or not launching fast enough.