BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
paul hodges
Registered
Rep
Drives:

135i Purchase-Autobahn Tested (Euro Delivery) - no regrets

Dear fellow 1 addicts,

I just returned from picking up my 135 (montego blue / terra cotta leather) at the munich welt (factory) in mid May. the experience at BMW was very cool the facility is state of the art. Was a very "red carpet" experience kind of like a cross between being in a wedding, having a baby, and getting knighted by the queen of england.

i drove the car for 4 days and 1,000 miles from Fussen on the southern border up the "romantic roadway" to Wurzburg, onto Frankfurt, Cologne, and finally Hamburg for drop-off.

I'll admit the type of driving i did is not track conditions, and don't really plan on that kind of driving back here in the U.S., But I've struggled (as many of you have) with the idea of not having a mechanical differential. I'm now not as worried, as there were so few situations where the "electronic" diff staggered in (although I didn't drive in the rain / on wet pavement I'll admit).

I put the car through it's paces as well as experiencing autobahn for first time. In my opinion the 135 is a masterpiece, in that it's a well rounded vehicle that has a little bit of everything (decent trunk, useable rear seats, sharp design / good looks, whiptastic handing and LOTS OF POWER. a great car and great value for the money.

I got stares everywhere-gas stations, parking lots, hotel lobbies, even on the roads and in traffic. I didn't see any other 1-series coupes during my time there, so it felt nice being "the first on my block" to have one. Can't wait for it to get here!

I was an aircraft pilot throughout most of the 1990s and I can say the 135 has an "aircraft level" of engineering - it's precise, stable, fantastic yaw characteristics with the near 50-50 weight distribution, a finely tuned machine with refined engineering you can feel. The engine / exhause note sounded (from the inside) as good as the new M3 in my opinion. BMW was born and bred for autobahn and you can clearly feel the 135's DNA come to life in this setting (I'm just sorry our crappy roads here will never measure up).

I have the 6 speed manual clutch trans and RPM management was a pleasure. Every gear is ready to go and has a nice range. The clutch is easy to operate and feels heavy-duty. What impressed me is the amount of power available at higher speeds i.e. a full-thottle accel from say 90, 100, 110 mph cruise. The car is just raring to go and takes off from 100mph like most cars take off from 40mph. Memorial day weekend's New York Times review of the 135 was correct saying it's faster than other "true" sports cars like the Boxter, Cayman, 350z and G37. You stomp, and it delivers. You point the steering wheel and the front-end is already there. Btw, the car feels light and behaves like a vehicle perhaps lighter than it really is due to the shorter wheelbase. Whatever BMW did to design the leverage points really make the steering work well, considerabley better than the 335.

I got in some good tangles on the autobahn I'll never forget, and got a good ass whipping a couple times (at high speeds) by some of the big mercedes AMGs, an Audi S5, and a couple Italian exotics. Could've been more competative without the speed governor (250 km/hr which is 156 mph), but came to realize at high speeds a 500 to 600 hp vehicle is going to begin to pull away at around 140 mph regardless Talking to DINAN I understand the 135 without speed limiter is functional through mid 170s. Anyway I decided not to take my new engine past 5,000 rpm which was right at 150mph, since the engine is just breaking in, although BMW told me there's no need to hold back on the RPMs i.e. their engines are pre-broken in.

I had the car in all conditions including tight mountain turns and never had an overheat problem (it does have an oil cooler, which I understand all 135's have). The big front rotors give the brakes a very generous confident feel, very "up to the task" even at high speeds.

I read some of the threads about after-market tuning, I'll have to call DINAN and ask about the latest seeing my car was manufactured early May. I intend on purchasing DINAN's software AND the larger oil cooler ($2,000 apiece DINAN told me before I left for Germany). I'll then have $80,000 to $100,000 performance for $45,000. Simple as that. And at the relatively lower speeds we have to drive within here in the U.S. (due to our shitty roads), Steve Dinan personally told me "you'll be able to take on all comers."
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

I couldn't keep up with an Audi R8, several Ferrari's, and a station wagon M5 when I was there just last week. It was OK with me. As you approach 150 things start going by very quickly.

Thank you for the great write up.. got pictures?

Spook
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

Interesting comment regarding the engines being "pre-broken in". Who told you this? And when did they say it?
      05-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #4
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrons1969 View Post
Interesting comment regarding the engines being "pre-broken in". Who told you this? And when did they say it?
I have heard before, on E90post I think, that all Bimmers get some miles put on them at the factory before the odometers are set. Can't remember the source, but I do remember people talking about it like it does happen.

Man, that would be a nice job, huh? :biggrin:

To the OP--nice write up and congrats!
      05-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
sluday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
I couldn't keep up with an Audi R8, several Ferrari's, and a station wagon M5 when I was there just last week. It was OK with me. As you approach 150 things start going by very quickly.

Thank you for the great write up.. got pictures?

Spook
Was that you I passed??? Sorry I was late for the dentist.:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
drand
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40

I totally agree about the car after driving it on the Autobahn and along the Alpenstrasse. This is by far the best car I have ever drive in the mountains while maintaining a comfortable ride.

I was actually hoping to see one of the higher end cars blow by me on the Autobahn but it never happened. I was at least able to stay with if not pass all of the cars we met along the way when I was comfortable with both the car and with driving on the Autobahn (we won't talk about the minivan that passed me on the second day there when I was driving 105). I drove with several Ferraris for awhile at a leisurely 95 and was passed by a Lambo in a tunnel while in Munich (what a sound) but never met any in a unregulated section willing to play.
      05-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
zbladejr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I have heard the same comment by my CA - he's been selling bimmers forever and said 'not like in the old days, now you can just get on it - engines are prepped and broken in at the factory'. I'm still taking it easy for a few hundred miles though. Not like that's gonna hurt it either.

Great write-up on Europe - and I agree on the 6MT and steering. But the sound, that's what I can't get over - just so melodious.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 12:32 AM   #8
Viper
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 135i (SOON-DINAN)

Nurburgring times?

Hey guys, i am leaving to Munich on June 7 to pick up my new Metallic Black 135i...I CANT WAIT!!!!! But the main thing i want to do while i am there is drive my car on the nurburgring. on their website the say that every saturday and sunday you are able to pay a fee and drive the car on the ring. however i tried calling today to confirm, but it is an automated machine speaking in german...could you guys either confirm the times, or correct me if i'm wrong. also please feel free to make any other suggestions of things to do or see while in Germany. i'm open to ANYTHING

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 01:32 AM   #9
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Hey Viper, this site is probably the most helpful enthusiast Nurburgring site. http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/

Read everything you can; there is a lot of pertinent details that a US driver just won't know unless he reads up on it.

Here is a link to the Nurburgring schedule. "Touristenfahrten" means you can drive during that time for 22 euro/lap. The Grand Prix circuit is also available for 20 minute sessions at 30 euro/session. The combined circuit which includes the Green Hell (Nordschliefe) and the GP circuit are not available to track day enthusiasts to prevent armatures killing themselves in an attempt to set lap records.
http://www.nuerburgring.de/index.php?id=36

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 03:36 AM   #10
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul hodges View Post
Anyway I decided not to take my new engine past 5,000 rpm which was right at 150mph, since the engine is just breaking in, although BMW told me there's no need to hold back on the RPMs i.e. their engines are pre-broken in.
Great! Looks like I won't have to restrain myself as much as I originally planned to.

Excellent write-up, paul. Makes my wait even more difficult. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 12:40 AM   #11
BMWBLOG.COM
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I have heard before, on E90post I think, that all Bimmers get some miles put on them at the factory before the odometers are set. Can't remember the source, but I do remember people talking about it like it does happen.

Man, that would be a nice job, huh? :biggrin:

To the OP--nice write up and congrats!

you're correct. No need to worry about the break-in period, just don't go too crazy though
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #12
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrons1969 View Post
Well, it's partially true - if you take the factory tour in Munich you'll see that the last step before leaving the assembly line is basically a long dyno run.

The car gets on these rollers and then executes a "driving" cycle that includes very high speeds (over 100 mph if I remember correctly). 3rd, 4th and 5th gears get exercised and the whole thing lasts around 30-60 sec - that should be around 1-2 mi worth of driving.

But break-in is also used for other vehicle components: brakes, tires, differential, gearbox etc. Not going crazy over the first 200-300 miles is probably a good idea.

So while the engine is not a virgin, it is not completely broken in either IMO.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #13
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List

congrats though and thanks for the writeup!
Appreciate 0