BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
iDave
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition Pack

Run in service

Just had my run in service done today , after reminding the dealer 3 times about the gearbox oil got a phonecall , they don\'t have any and have to order it Grrrrrrrrrrr
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

Gearbox oil does not have to be changed on first service
      08-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a disturbed shark!!!

Garage List
Just picked up the car from service and same story here... I told them about the LT-5 transmission fluid last week more than once when I scheduled the service and they said they would have it...

To make it even worse, they did not change the diff. fluid because they said they had 80 weight and needed 70 weight or the other way around some B.S. like that...

No I have to wait until they get the right fluids and go back... At least for the diff...

Anyone know which one is the correct diff fluid? I thought it was the same as the M3 but the dealer said it is different...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
theshiningnova
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1 View Post
I'm guessing OP is in UK and the recommendation from BMW is different. They do get changed in Europe. At least mine got changed.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by miula View Post
Just picked up the car from service and same story here... I told them about the LT-5 transmission fluid last week more than once when I scheduled the service and they said they would have it...

To make it even worse, they did not change the diff. fluid because they said they had 80 weight and needed 70 weight or the other way around some B.S. like that...

No I have to wait until they get the right fluids and go back... At least for the diff...

Anyone know which one is the correct diff fluid? I thought it was the same as the M3 but the dealer said it is different...

From what I understand... the 1M uses the same LSD (diff) as the M3 does. So I don't see why the 1M would uses a different fluid. I bet the SA is confusing the trans fluid specs which IS different from the M3.

Castrol's “SAE 75W140 GL5 BMW LS” is the proper fluid for all M models. PLUS it is backwards compatible with normal non M models like say a 135i. It is what I use in my 135i.

See my post #70 for how to change one's trans fluid and diff oil. It is quite easy to do. The only difference is the 1M uses a newer trans fluid called: MTF-LT-5 while the 135i uses the LT-4 fluid.

DIY: manual transmission and diff fluid change

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...light=MTF-LT-4

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a disturbed shark!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
From what I understand... the 1M uses the same LSD (diff) as the M3 does. So I don't see why the 1M would uses a different fluid. I bet the SA is confusing the trans fluid specs which IS different from the M3.

Castrol's “SAE 75W140 GL5 BMW LS” is the proper fluid for all M models. PLUS it is backwards compatible with normal non M models like say a 135i. It is what I use in my 135i.

See my post #70 for how to change one's trans fluid and diff oil. It is quite easy to do. The only difference is the 1M uses a newer trans fluid called: MTF-LT-5 while the 135i uses the LT-4 fluid.

DIY: manual transmission and diff fluid change

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...light=MTF-LT-4

Dackel
That's what I thought, thanx for confirming and for all the info...

I was contemplating doing it myself; but since it should be part of the break in service, I'll pressure the dealer into doing the differential oil change...

The transmission seems a bigger problem because they can't get the LT-5...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Wild Bill
Old Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: JCW Clubman, 1M, 2007 Vette

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2010 MINI JCW Clubman  [10.00]
Quote:
The transmission seems a bigger problem because they can't get the LT-5...
It's not that they can't get it, when we took ours in for the service in the beginning of June, that is just when the dealers were putting in the wrong stuff.

So they took the car back and said it would be 2-3 weeks before they could get the stuff, but BMW flew the correct fluid to our local So Cal dealers and it was done in three days.

So the fluid is available to dealers who want to go the extra mile for their customers.

WB
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
So the fluid is available to dealers who want to go the extra mile for their customers.

WB

Or... you can just do it yourself. Really some of these dealers seem like they can not handle a simply oil change. I myself would prefer to work on my own car. Even IF I have to pay out of packet for fuilds.

OP - here is the background with the original 1M "run in service" thread...]

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...light=MTF-LT-5

Be sure to read thru all the pages... you will see what some have gone thru. Somone posted a Porsche oil that is teh very same as the BMW MTL-LT-5 trans oil.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Miula,

Do not worry about the tranny oil change. The service bulletin from June 2011 clearly addresses the issue and instructs bmw service NOT to change the tranny oil (for North America) until 50K miles.

As for the diff oil, you need
Diff: SAf-XJ x 1Liter
Part No. 83-22-1-467-993

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

^^I think the rear diff holds 1.2L and not 1L. My 135i holds 1.2L. You basically fill the rear diff (on level ground or up in the air LEVEL) until fluid spills out of the "fill hole".

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #11
KSAF
Speed Demon
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1 View Post
I took a ED for my 1M and I had the first service done in a BMW Dealership in Germany. They changed the oil of the engine, gearbox and diff.
      08-10-2011, 04:40 AM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSA ///M3 View Post
I took a ED for my 1M and I had the first service done in a BMW Dealership in Germany. They changed the oil of the engine, gearbox and diff.

That is because over here... the customer pays for all services(!)... and BMW says to change it. For the US BMW pays for services/maintenance... and they are always changing its mind on what is really needed for them to pay for!

It is like brake fluid changes. Over here BMW AG says it must be changed every year. In the US BMW NA says every two years. Same car.

IF I owned a 1M - I would just buy the proper trans (LT-5) and diff (SAF-XJ) fluids and oil and filter - and do it myself.

In reading all these "run in service" threads... on thing is clear. All the dealers are NOT on the same page - technically speaking. Each one seems not to know what the correct procedure is.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 05:39 AM   #13
Z4Mr
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M ETA JAN 2012

Just for me to get this all straight;

For the transmission the 1M needs MTF-LT-5. Excuse my ignorance, but is this a BMW part? If not; what make/brand name are we looking for??

And for the diff the 1M needs SAf-XJ (BMW Part No. 83-22-1-467-993) Does the car need 1 or 1.2 litres??

And where trans/diff-wise does Castrol's “SAE 75W140 GL5 BMW LS fit into all of this please???

TIA,

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #14
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
Quote:
That is because over here... the customer pays for all services(!)... and BMW says to change it. For the US BMW pays for services/maintenance... and they are always changing its mind on what is really needed for them to pay for!

It is like brake fluid changes. Over here BMW AG says it must be changed every year. In the US BMW NA says every two years. Same car.

IF I owned a 1M - I would just buy the proper trans (LT-5) and diff (SAF-XJ) fluids and oil and filter - and do it myself.

In reading all these "run in service" threads... on thing is clear. All the dealers are NOT on the same page - technically speaking. Each one seems not to know what the correct procedure is.

Dackel
i would like a friend who is a +25year bmw master tech to do all the services on my 1M - at home - but i think there will be some issues with the stamp in the service-booklet needed for warranty reasons

i dont like the common dealer practice of letting an appretince work on the car and then charge some master tech working hours ie. +600€ for some oil change which can be done in one hour and then take my car for a 17km test drive

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #15
quarkmaschine
Rep
Drives: 1MQP BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution80 View Post
i dont like the common dealer practice of letting an appretince work on the car and then charge some master tech working hours ie. +600€ for some oil change which can be done in one hour and then take my car for a 17km test drive
That's exactely how it went today... 500€ and 15km "to get the oil hot". Average fuel consumption was like 23l/100km as I got the car back.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #16
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:

Dackel
Over 3 years now and they havent changed my brake fluid. They refuse to.

Last time I was there I told them "I know how it works, while in warranty its 1 oil change a year and everything else is fine the engine is modern and doesnt follow old recommendations but as soon as my warranty runs out you'll be calling me every 3 months telling me the engine has a lot of miles and I need an oil change and everything else changed."
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #17
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Mr View Post
Just for me to get this all straight;

For the transmission the 1M needs MTF-LT-5. Excuse my ignorance, but is this a BMW part? If not; what make/brand name are we looking for??

And for the diff the 1M needs SAf-XJ (BMW Part No. 83-22-1-467-993) Does the car need 1 or 1.2 litres??

And where trans/diff-wise does Castrol's “SAE 75W140 GL5 BMW LS fit into all of this please???

TIA,

Mike

Here is what we know...

The 1M uses MTF-LT-4 transmision fluid. you need 2.0 liters.
The diff (LSD) needs Castrol SAF-XJ which is “SAE 75W140 GL5 BMW LS" specs. You can use this diff fluid in ALL BMW's models. Even cars without an LSD. This fluid was specifically designed to be used in M diffs.

I do not know the oil quanity for sure, but I suspect it is like the 135i in that it is 1.2L or so. It should not be more than two liters for sure. You simply fill the new diff fluid thru the fill hole... when fluid starts to spill out of the "fill hole" your diff is full(when the car is level(!) in the air!)

I have to go to my BMW Zentrum tomorrow... so I can ask about this.

The 135i use MTF-LT-4 (it was LT3 but now it needs LT-4). 2.0 liters of fluid.

The 135i diff (LSD) needs Castrol SAF-XJ which is “SAE 75W140 GL5 BMW LS" which is backwards compatible for all BMW's.

Mike you have to be carefull with the BMW part nukmber for the fluids... becuase they only come in bulk... espcially for the diff oil... the smallest container BMW dealer has is a 60L drum. Then 600L and 6,000L. I kid you not. Your dealer will just make up a internal part number to bill out the oill. So be carefull with oil part numbers.

You can find the Castrol SAF-XJ diff fluid at most imported car part stores in teh states. I did not buy mine from my dealer because the smallest container was a 60L drum! I bought mine in Germany for an indi parts store over here. Btw... each bottle is only 0.5L.

My Castrol SAF-XJ diff oil and MTF-LT-4 trans oil. I changed my own diff and trans oil in my 135i. IF you can do an oil change you can handle this job. Not hard at all!

Castrol SAF-XJ diff oil

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 03:07 AM   #18
Z4Mr
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M ETA JAN 2012

Dackel,

MANY thanks for the really helpful clarification/further info (-:

Regards,

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #19
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Ok... I was over at my BMW Zentrum today. I asked them about the 1M trans and diff oil specs and quanity. Here is what BMW AG says to use:

1M trans oil: MTF-LT-5 you need 2.0 liters
1M diff oil: Castrol SAF-XJ you need 1.2 liters.

BMW does not call for any friction modifier for the LSD. But of course I suppose you can add some IF you don't like the slipping noises coming from the diff's clutch discs. And... BTW... they did not have these oils in stock! lol But over here in DE... most dealers get two (parts) deliveries per day from BMW AG.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #20
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Thanks Dackel for the effort

I'm writing all numbers on paper and when my car is in for service on augustthe 26 i'll wait and see what is going to happen.
Hearing all those different story's i'm not so confident in what they will change but at least they'll have a well informed customer to deal with.
Appreciate 0