BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-30-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

I invite you to critique my "order"

I have received plenty of good advice from the friendly enthusiasts here, so here goes, one more time.

My '09 128 (BSM, Terra interior, M-Sport, stick) will go out of warranty in July, one way or the other, age or 50K miles.

The car has caused zero problems. I have done extra oil changes, and have maintained the exterior and interior myself to "detailer standards."

I did change the run-flats when they wore out to Conti DW tires, and am happy with that.

Also, it was not driven December-February, thanks to my trusty beater Focus.

Nonetheless, I am seriously thinking about ordering a new 128 in the next few months. I love the driving dynamics that the 128 offers, and I feel that a new one would extend that fun for some more years down the road. I am just kind of wary about the 2-series, and BMW's mindset with new models (though it kills me to say that). My 128 reminds me a lot of my '83 GTI, a blast to drive here, there, and everywhere, though simply quite better in every respect.

Also, I am on very good terms with my dealer, and salesperson, having sent them other business.

So...here's my thoughts on ordering a new 128. Please feel to critique it. No offense taken at any comments ; )

LeMans Blue with Oyster interior--I am confident that my fussy detailing nature can take care of oyster. Plus, I am alone in the car 90 percent of the time (the back seats in my current 128 were sat in five times). I like Oyster, with the black interior, and Anthracite headliner (yes, M-Sport again). The black headliner really "ties together" the interior.

And, as much as I like black, I also am a fan of blue. I always notice blue BMWs.

Another stick shift, another M-Sport. Those are given. Not negotiable.

Now, for the options.

I do like my music (classic rock, Motown, blues). I am thinking about Harmon/Kardon. Feel free to comment. Don't have it on the current 1er.

Can one order Sirius radio without getting the Premium Package? I know that that all of them are pre-wired for it. Though, it doesn't show up on the website as a "stand-alone." Maybe a dealer-installed option. I do listen to satellite radio often enough to warrant it.

I thought about power seats, because I often move my seat back manually to exit the car (hey, I'm an old fart!). I could set one of the presets for that. Don't have to have it, unless for some reason I would consider the Premium package. That's not on the radar, though I am open to comments, which is why I am writing this.

Heated seats--have them, and will probably go there again. I referee an NCAA Division I sport, and that warm seat is nice on the drive home, after being on my feet for quite a while.

Anything to do with a smartpone--heck, I'm too dumb to have a smartphone. Enough said there ; )

Back in '09, I had to option the connecting cord for an I-Pod (gee, I think it was like at least a $300 option.) I don't see it now. Is it included?

Extended warranty? Thought about it. Though, my dealer is a 2-1/2 hour drive away. Don't mind going there from time to time for maintenance, or a recall. For an older BMW, and a "need-to-fix" issue with any frequency, not so much. No indy shop anywhere closer than the dealer.

So, all of you are free to offer any comment. I intend to enjoy this, with all of your help.

Thank You!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Sounds like a lot of us ordering 1ers before we can't get them anymore and BMW goes astray.

I would highly recommend the harmon kardon if you even remotely like listening to music.

As for the satellite, you don't need the premium package to get sirius, they just include a "free" year of sirius when you get that. So, you'll just have to activate the sirius account and pay them, that's all.

Sounds like people are getting really great deals ordering their 1's right now too and nobody seems to know for sure when you won't be able to get one since they are switching over to the 2 series production in November.

So, no tech package? I only ask because they force you into buying the BMW assist for like $650 when you get the harman kardon system, so I figured I'd just get the tech package, too, why not.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 01:36 AM   #3
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Sounds like a good set up (even though you missed our party boat -- that's OK though, we'll "grandfather" you in as an old fart). Love the blue, but the oyster would probably be too light for me. If you are confident that minimal use/wear and your stellar detailing skills can keep the oyster clean, then go for it.

To confirm what gregtheterrible said, it is true that if you do not want technology pkg nav (I did not), then HK sound becomes a $1500+ option when you add the required BMW Assist! I decided that was not worth it; I'll probably look to spend a few hundred instead on upgraded speakers. Why BMW has to put the screws to you that way to get HK, I don't understand....

We hereby grant you permission to place your order.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

I feel that we are somewhat responsible for you suddenly wanting to place an order after seeing all the fun we're having on a boat. So, just order anything, doesn't matter, so you can get on a boat and then go to another dealer an order another one.

Also, for the record, I would have gone with a more believable name such as greg the okay or greg the just alright, but greg the great has a much better ring to it. Kouper is just still upset about my seagull prank on the boat while he sat on the lido deck with the top down, sunning.

I'm sure simianspeester will have good comments/feedback as well having just ordered a 128 and as a current 335 owner with the oyster interior.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
I find the base 10 speaker system pretty good (when I turn it on).

So far, (26 days), the Oyster interior hasn't been too bad to keep clean. I occasionally wipe the seats down with Zaino Z9 and they're clean as a whistle.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
I'm not positive, but I don't think it's possible to retrofit Sirius if you don't have something like BMW assist. My best guess is that without it the proper satellite antenna has not been installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

The blue and oyster interior will look amazing together. I saw it in person after I had placed my order an was so mad I didn't consider it. I was just so hell bent on white I didn't even consider blue. And I like oyster interior but it doesn't go well with white as its a few shades different. Your other options seem pretty legit as well. Do the HK sound!

2013 BMW 135i Alpine white/coral red JB4 stage 2/ AFE stage 2 sealed intake box/ VRSF 3.5 inch catless dp/ Dinan exhaust/ Alpine V3 6000k HID angel eyes/ JB speed AW rear lip spoiler/ OEM mud flaps. ER charge pipe/ VRSF 7 inch FMIC forge star CF5s 19x8.5 and 19x9
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

The Premium Package contains Homelink, memory seats, free Sirius for a year and I can't remember what else. Cold Weather package gives you the heated seats and a trunk pass-through. Nice to know it's there for long items even if I rarely use it. I know those two were *my* biggest wants in a new car. YMMV.

Additionally, my wife has the base 10-speaker stereo in her 328xi. I think it sounds pretty good. If you're looking to save money then I would avoid the HK.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

LeMans Blue and Oyster interior looks amazing together! Here are some pics of Swadeness 135i from our Stelvio trip last year. Swad's car is gorgeous!! Swadeness installed the Perf wheels for an e46 since they had slightly more aggressive offsets.

Name:  IMG_7548.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  312.5 KB

Name:  IMG_7553.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  186.4 KB

Name:  IMG_7556.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  314.5 KB

Name:  IMG_7544.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  275.3 KB

In addition to all your MUST HAVE options... what about Xenon's? That would be a must have for me. The USB iPod(6FL) I think is now standard.

What about PDC ? My 135i doesn't have it but my old e39 has it and I LOVE IT!!! My next car will HAVE to have it.

Also... IF you are tall.. the power seats do not go as low as the manual seats do. Just be aware of that.

I would say IF you are into music... get the HK. I recently took a spin in Smellthebean 's like new e92, 328i and the sound was so much better than the base radio system in my car. It would be a must have for me.

What about ordering a Perf SSK. BMW NA will install it at the port of entry.

Here is the 2013 price guide. Maybe it will help you order/bundle your option packages.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2013.BMW.1-series.price.list.from.16.January.2013_copy.pdf (450.4 KB, 156 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I recently took a spin in Smellthebean 's like new e92, 328i and the sound was so much better than the base radio system in my car.
From what I understand, the base radio/speaker system in Europe is different than what we get in the U.S. for a base system.

No arguments with Le mans Blue and Oyster

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
From what I understand, the base radio/speaker system in Europe is different than what we get in the U.S. for a base system.
I was talking about US spec cars - since we are all in the US military over here in Germany.

The HK is worth it bc it sounds so much better than the standard system. More base and more richer sounding, even at low volumes. I regret I did not order it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

What about ordering a Perf SSK. BMW NA will install it at the port of entry.
The Perf SSK is an option for U.S. spec cars for port install in Europe? No such option here in the U.S. that I'm aware of, unless I'm missing something? I wish that were an option here!

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Should have guessed. Where're you stationed?
Still think the base 10 speaker system is OK. I'm old, so Pink Floyd's "Time" is my benchmark and at a "proper volume" sounded great. At low volumes I'm listening to the engine anyway (and I've mentioned a few times on the forum I haven't turned on the stereo in three weeks. Still in love with the sound of the six at speed. My MPG is suffering because I don't want to let it drop below 5K RPM...) I just couldn't justify $875 plus BMW assist for an additional $650 to upgrade the audio in what is possibly one of the worst acoustic environments known to man. Cars, that is.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
The Perf SSK is an option for U.S. spec cars for port install in Europe? No such option here in the U.S. that I'm aware of, unless I'm missing something? I wish that were an option here!

Thanks.
Its my understanding that when you order a US car, when it gets to the port in the USA(any of the ports BMW has), BMW NA will install any of the Performance parts you have ordered with your new car. Things like the exhaust or performance suspension or PPK2 or Perf bumpers, SSK, ect. Then the car goes to your dealer for delivery.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its my understanding that when you order a US car, when it gets to the port in the USA(any of the ports BMW has), BMW NA will install any of the Performance parts you have ordered with your new car. Things like the exhaust or performance suspension or PPK2 or Perf bumpers, SSK, ect. Then the car goes to your dealer for delivery.
Thanks -- my dealer tells me it is not a port installed accessory (PIA) option here on the West Coast, at least, for 1-series. It does not show up on the 1-series list. I'm going to see if I can find any more info, would be nice if that were a choice!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:01 AM   #16
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep

Thanks everyone!

I noticed the mandatory coupling of BMW Assist with the HK stereo on the configurator, and I was hoping it was a mistake. It irritates me that I would have to order something I couldn't use (I have the simplest of cell phones) in order to get the stereo.

As for power seats--still on the fence. I am 5'11'', so I don't see the inability to lower the seat the whole way to be a problem.

If I went with power seats (already ordering leather), and I do want satellite radio, then I'd be in the mood to consider the Premium Package.

Never had xenons before. I guess I don't know what I am missing.

I do think that LeMans Blue and Oyster are definitely in.

Again, thanks to all, and anyone is welcome to throw his/her two cents in!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:29 AM   #17
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

Xenons were a must for me because I live in an area with unlit roads and deer. The illumination difference is astounding, including a wider angle than Halogens.

I can confirm that iPod connection does come standard now.

Also, I think the UI of the standard radio vs the Nav is really bad for iPod menu navigation. The Nav package universal button makes it a lot easier to deal with the iPod interface. A topper for getting nav for me is that polarizing sunglasses make it impossible to read the stock radio display and I'm almost always driving with sunglasses in Texas...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:49 AM   #18
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Hey...HeyMoe,

As for the mandatory coupling of BMW Assist/bluetooth with the HK stereo, I will at least say that you may consider the tech package then, even if you don't really use any of the features with your cell phone. It also allows you to then control many things via voice command, not just to call people, but also for the radio station, car settings, basically almost anything.

I didn't necessarily want the navigation and wanted to hate the tech package, but went to the dealer, had him walk me through a tutorial and was actually pretty impressed by the nice screen and ability to access most the menus through there as opposed to on the 2 line radio or instrument cluster, and in many ways I found it to be much better, faster, and easier to use than the one I love in my S5.

So, I'd tell you to check it out, I know it's a lot of extra money, but dealers are giving great deals right now on the 1's, so your total might not be as much as you thought.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #19
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1er View Post
A topper for getting nav for me is that polarizing sunglasses make it impossible to read the stock radio display and I'm almost always driving with sunglasses in Texas...
Good point. I had completely forgotten that I had a pair of polarized sunglasses for a few days from lenscrafters but had to return them and get non-polarized ones cause I said, I can't see anything in my car!!!! Scared the hell out of me when I noticed as I got in my car to leave the mall and had to turn to my sister for help cause I thought the radio and clock were broken cause they looked blank to me. She didn't believe me and thought I was either crazy or messing with her until I handed her the sunglasses and she said, oh my god, I can't see anything on the screen now either.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 02:02 AM   #20
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

Some comments:

Oyster Interior -- I have Oyster/Black now on my 335i. I still like the way it looks. It's not terribly creamy and warm, but neither is it too sterile or whitewashed. I have admittedly not done much to keep mine in tip top shape -- just some car washes from time to time and 2 full details in nearly 3 years -- so it shows some mild grubbiness on the door armrest, thigh bolsters, etc. There's also a slight dark band where my belt rubs up against the driver's seat because I'd estimate that I wear a dark belt 60-70% of the time that I'm driving the car. So, either drive naked or get an Oyster belt! Seriously, I'm sure there are things I could have done to prevent some of the discoloration and there are probably things I could do to address it now, but it's not prominent and, more pragmatically, the lease is up in 2 months, so... It didn't scare me away from ordering my 128i with another light interior (Taupe). I'll pay closer attention to it this time around.

Premium Package / Power Seats -- As I have mentioned elsewhere, I had to get Premium for the lumbar support (which still cheeses me), but if your current 128i seats work well for you and you don't need really any of the other features (Homelink, etc.), I'd say save the cost, complexity and weight and skip Premium.

And now I will almost contradict myself because I think the Lighting Package is great, but you can't get it without Premium. That said, I haven't driven a recent BMW without the Lighting Package, and I'd imagine the standard headlights are probably fine. For me, the biggest feature of the Lighting Package is the active headlights. I often drive at night on darker, curvy roads, and the active headlights really promote visibility and nighttime driving confidence. If your commute or other frequent driving involves nighttime trips on dark, curvy roads, I'd strongly consider the Lighting Package though you'll be forced to get the Premium Package as well. If most of your commuting/driving is largely conducted in the daytime and/or on well-lit, relatively straight roads, you can save another bundle of money and some more complexity.

Harmon Kardon -- I won't argue that it's well-priced, but it's an essential option for me. I'm a musician and audiophile and, as far as factory stereos go, I'd give the HK stereo in my 335i (which is the same as the 1 Series HK, only with a little more power and 3 more midrange speakers) an 8 out of 10. The stock stereo in my wife's current 328i is about a 6/10 and the stock stereo in her last generation 328i (which is much closer to the current 1 Series) was about a 5/10. The biggest difference is the bass response. At freeway speeds, the stock stereo can't really translate the bottom octave of any recording in any meaningful fashion. The underseat 8.5" woofers with the HK package make a big difference in this regard, and they blend in well with the system -- they don't sound tubby or strange, just an extension that's necessary to reproduce many types of music. I'm not sure if the stock stereo has under seat woofers at all or if they're just smaller. The other big HK improvements over stock are overall power, which matters even when you listen at medium volumes (i.e. not just when you crank the stereo) and enhanced clarity, which is most likely a result of better speakers. Again, the HK option isn't cheap, and many dealers don't order it on most 1 Series cars so they can maintain a decently sizable price discrepancy between 1 Series and 3 Series cars, but I think it's a must. Yes, it also requires the $650 bluetooth package, but the included USB port helps ease the sting. I use a 32GB USB key to keep 80-100 albums of 320kb/s MP3s in my car at all times, and I refresh the library on the key every couple months. I'm very happy with it and I find it easy to control from the basic (i.e. non-iDrive screen) in my current car, though polarized shades can be tricky as another poster mentioned.

If you're not a smartphone guy, I somehow doubt you'll find much to love in the Technology Package. I'm a technology zealot and I only opted for the technology package this time around to get the real-time traffic feature, which can be quite helpful in Southern California. Ask yourself this: do you want iDrive? Do you want a big screen in the middle of your dash? If not, maybe keep it simple. Because you probably won't have a choice next time around!

Obviously you're nailing the most important part IMO: a manual transmission! That and M Sport are the biggest "must haves," especially since you have them now. And I have to say it's really cool to see you buy another 128i even though it won't be much different from your current car -- if that's not a customer testimonial about the benefits of the 128i, I don't know what is!

When are you planning to place an order?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
Thanks -- my dealer tells me it is not a port installed accessory (PIA) option here on the West Coast, at least, for 1-series. It does not show up on the 1-series list. I'm going to see if I can find any more info, would be nice if that were a choice!

The West Coast VDC in Port Hueneme, California receives cars for the West Coast customers. Here is some more info on what goes on the VDC. They handle all BMW's that come shipped over from Germany. Only the X3/X5/X6's get trucked direct to your dealer.

http://www.thedieseldriver.com/2010/02/bmw-vdc/
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #22
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep

Simianspeedster--I will probably schedule my battery cable recall in late April, after my college refereeing season ends. While the car is in the shop, I intend to meet with my salesperson. If that goes well, I will think about it for a few days (I never spend large sums of money without some thought behind it). If I go for it, I figure it will be a beginning of May order.

My BSM 128 was ordered on 6/9/09, and I took delivery on 7/25.

Still feeling the LeMans/Oyster combo. Still debating options. I don't have to go lowball with this car, but I don't want to pump up the price to 3-series territory. My intent is to put a $7K or so down payment along with the trade, and have nice low payments. Getting divorced eight years ago has made me careful with money.

Hope everyone had a nice Easter. The event I was officiating today ended early enough for me to get home, and cook an Easter dinner for my two (living on their own but still struggling some), 20-something kids, who both love their dad's car ; )

No Easter ham, but the kids did a good job on the shrimp cooked in beer, tossed with garlic and Creole spice. A good microbrew out of the fridge to go with it.

No chocolate rabbits for them, but instead a little extra pocket money for when they visit their Mom in a month.

And now, as they have headed home, it's time for a nice adult beverage, and I think that I will pop in a Stooge DVD, "soitenly!"

Cheers!
Appreciate 0