BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
1series1stlove
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i Convertible

1st time new owner 128i

Hi,

I'm a first time BMW owner and this is my first car. I have a few questions that I hope some experienced owners can help answer. Thank you for your time.

1. I will be picking up my car in 2 days(very excited). Do I need to get it detailed ?

2. What kind of regular maintenance is required? (on a weekly/monthly basis)

3. I know I need to get the car detailed, how often is detailing required? Any suggestions for a Chicago detailer who won't rip me off b/c I am a female

4. I have little or no car care knowledge so please provide all the tips you have even if it seems like common sense. Such as always filling up premium gasoline and not going through a auto wash i know these seem like common sense but remember common sense is not that common.

Thanks again for taking the time to read/respond or redirect me to a existing forum topic.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

For a first car, you certainly have a choice automobile. Welcome to the BMW family, and we are a family. You seem to be on the right track; i.e., avoid car washes and stick to hand washing, use the recommended minimum 91 octange gas, etc.

Since you have a convertible, there are a couple extra things you can do to keep the top looking as new as possible. For instance, as soon as possible, remove any dirt from it. For example, bird droppings are especially harmful to cloth convertible tops because they're so acidic. You'd be wise to carry some type of cleaner and microfiber cloth with you just in case. Don't ever fold the top when it's wet, or when it's too cold out (I think there's guidance in the owner's manual about the latter point).

Other than those points, there isn't really anything "special" you have to do to keep the car looking and functioning as new as possible. BMW includes free maintenance for the life of the B2B warranty, so you don't really have to worry about that aspect. Most of all, enjoy the new ride and post pics when you can stop driving long enough!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1series1stlove View Post
Hi,

I'm a first time BMW owner and this is my first car. I have a few questions that I hope some experienced owners can help answer. Thank you for your time.

1. I will be picking up my car in 2 days(very excited). Do I need to get it detailed ?

2. What kind of regular maintenance is required? (on a weekly/monthly basis)

3. I know I need to get the car detailed, how often is detailing required? Any suggestions for a Chicago detailer who won't rip me off b/c I am a female

4. I have little or no car care knowledge so please provide all the tips you have even if it seems like common sense. Such as always filling up premium gasoline and not going through a auto wash i know these seem like common sense but remember common sense is not that common.

Thanks again for taking the time to read/respond or redirect me to a existing forum topic.
Welcome and congratulations on the car. Just follow the BMW maintenance program it is a free program for 4 yrs...some change their oil more frequently @ 5K or 7.5K. Here is link to a detail shop in Skokie from another thread...I have not tried them yet but might before Winter. http://www.showcardetail.com. I otherwise use a local guy in NW burbs but does not fix scratches or chips. I also go through a soft cloth wash on occasion...i'm not as anal as others. Yes, premium only, min 91 oct...I tend to use Shell 93 Oct. Congrats again and see you around !
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Oh..forgot to mention...You may also want to introduce yourself with some pics under "Coupe and Convertible General Discussion" thread. Be warned...aren't many ladies on the forum so you'll get a ton of replies
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128I

excited for you.

i just left a deposit and hopefully get the 128i by early October.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
1series1stlove
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i Convertible

Thank you all for sharing I havent been able to part with my car long enough to take pictures. Hopefully this weekend I'll manage to take a few.
Appreciate 0