BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-17-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
LeMansM5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

1M vs. TTRS vs. Cayman R

Comparative video....delete if its repost. .

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

If anyone can understand what he's saying, what are his impressions of the 1M?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 06:38 AM   #3
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

I understand the entire video - it's in Spanish. Actually, I'm not sure how valid the review is. He says that it took them 6 seconds flat from 0-100km/h, making it the slowest of the pack. Based on most reviews, the car is not that slow...maybe they missed second gear? lol This review is actually very neutral, and the speaker basically praises all three cars and their strengths, even though they were the most impressed by the TTRS.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

What I find most interesting about all the recent 1 M comparisons is how they inevitably pick the Cayman R and not the Cayman S which would be quite a bit closer in price, amenities and intent to the M.

It's almost like no one wants to see the 1M wipe the floor with the recent performance coupe benchmark so they go find a track oriented version that will fare better.

Also, 6 seconds?!?? Is this his first time driving a manual? I get near that in my 10 year old A4!
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

There is an article that touches on the point you just brought up - it was actually Porsche who refused to provide a Cayman S to be compared to the new 1M. Instead, they provided an entire Cayman R fleet for all the comparisons you are referring to. Porsche knew apocalypse was coming down their way so they responded with a track-oriented car.

And yes, the narrator on the video said they hit 100km/h in 6 seconds. At this point the credibility level of this video dropped to the ground before my eyes; then again, it's not a full out comparison video. He simply mentions some of the strong points of each car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
What I find most interesting about all the recent 1 M comparisons is how they inevitably pick the Cayman R and not the Cayman S which would be quite a bit closer in price, amenities and intent to the M.

It's almost like no one wants to see the 1M wipe the floor with the recent performance coupe benchmark so they go find a track oriented version that will fare better.

Also, 6 seconds?!?? Is this his first time driving a manual? I get near that in my 10 year old A4!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
wabbit
wabbit!
Mexico
Rep
Drives: ///1M

bad review, not real numbers....
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
There is an article that touches on the point you just brought up - it was actually Porsche who refused to provide a Cayman S to be compared to the new 1M. Instead, they provided an entire Cayman R fleet for all the comparisons you are referring to. Porsche knew apocalypse was coming down their way so they responded with a track-oriented car.

And yes, the narrator on the video said they hit 100km/h in 6 seconds. At this point the credibility level of this video dropped to the ground before my eyes; then again, it's not a full out comparison video. He simply mentions some of the strong points of each car.
Interesting. That makes a whole lot of sense. Porsche may be leaning on even the more established reviewers then? Because the recent EVO 4-way comparison of the 1M, TT-RS and 370Z also had a Cayman-R. In fact, the R was so stripped out, it didn't even have a radio or A/C !!

In spite of this, and the fact that the Cayman pipped the 1M by about a second on the track, they ended up awarding top honors to the Bimmer.

You don't have a link to this article do you?
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
FJS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M

The narrator never said 6, he said the cayman did it in 5.7, didn't say anything about anything except they got nice ass cars lent by dealers and had a good time on their dime. This has to be the worst review about cars ever!

Don't see why it was posted, a waste of time, besides, aren´t there enough reviews, videos, pictures about the 1M? Geez, it's an awsome car ok, I see that maybe it could be inside marketing to make the car more collectible or other, if not, why so much media about such a limited car, it's not a Ferrari FXX and I have not even seen anything on that, go figure.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #9
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS View Post
The narrator never said 6, he said the cayman did it in 5.7, didn't say anything about anything except they got nice ass cars lent by dealers and had a good time on their dime. This has to be the worst review about cars ever!

Don't see why it was posted, a waste of time, besides, aren´t there enough reviews, videos, pictures about the 1M? Geez, it's an awsome car ok, I see that maybe it could be inside marketing to make the car more collectible or other, if not, why so much media about such a limited car, it's not a Ferrari FXX and I have not even seen anything on that, go figure.
Dunno why it was posted. Maybe because this is the 1M forum (I could be wrong!).

As fr the FXX, I would much rather read about an attainable everyday sports car with capabilities that eclipse those of Super Cars from a decade ago than a ego-vessel for Ferrari that you don't even get to park in your own garage!

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Would you like me to listen to it again and point out exactly where in time he says that they achieved 0-100km/h in 6 seconds? Or should I send you back to school to freshen up your Spanish? It is my first language buddy

Edit: I couldn't contain myself because I love proving people wrong Tune to 2:00 and listen to the full sentence: "En prueba, le bastaron seis (6) segundos exactos, para acelerar hasta cien (100) km/h." - which translates to: "During testing, it took exactly six (6) seconds to accelerate up to one hundred (100) km/h."

Last edited by 1SerieStud; 07-18-2011 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
Interesting. That makes a whole lot of sense. Porsche may be leaning on even the more established reviewers then? Because the recent EVO 4-way comparison of the 1M, TT-RS and 370Z also had a Cayman-R. In fact, the R was so stripped out, it didn't even have a radio or A/C !!

In spite of this, and the fact that the Cayman pipped the 1M by about a second on the track, they ended up awarding top honors to the Bimmer.

You don't have a link to this article do you?
If you make it a task to check out every single comparison link on this forum, you'll bump into the article, which someone made a reference to - this is how I bumped into it. It's actually interesting to say the least!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
b33g33, maybe you're right except that the 1M is not that readily attainable and won't be for long either, where were we?
I'm sorry if the 1M is unattainable for you. If you pay attention you will note that it is quite attainable for most members of this sub forum.

If you're in NA, the car is relatively affordable and has been available for the industrious.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #13
ORA
Banned
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Cool video. Wish I understood some of it!

i have heard the TT-RS in person and it sounds INCREDIBLE. I have yet to hear a production car in this price range with that kind of sound; obviously a credit to its unique 5 Cylinder Turbo.

That being said, I think most would agree the Cayman R is the performance-oriented car out of this group, followed by the 1M and the RS.

Pricewise, the 1M has a huge advantage---but if price were no option, things would be very interesting to choose between these 3 great cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 01:28 AM   #14
Robink
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i DCT Sport

1M for me everytime! 4 seats and I do not trust Audi quality.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #15
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robink View Post
1M for me everytime! 4 seats and I do not trust Audi quality.
Nothing wrong with Audi quality. My B5 A4 is still running strong after 12 years and 160k miles. The the Audi interiors are definitely a notch above BMW and MB as well.

It's in the driving fun department the Audi's tend to falter sometimes.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #16
FJS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M

Funny thing about the rear seats on the 1M, there is no leg room like on the 911's. I have the seat at a good distance frnt to rear and there is no space for a person, maybe a little child and that's difficult, who cares, what a beast of a little car, it's worth it.

It's a personal car to be driven, like the TT, that is also small in the back, like they are meant to be 2 seaters but cheated with the rear seats. I haven't seen a Cayman but knowing Porsche, same as the 911's.

I had a friend that had an A4 '06 and he said that the quality did not compare to that of even an older BMW. I found it hard to believe as I always held Audi in a high place (still do, except for the comments the Brits make, lol), who knows, maybe one will find it's way into the garage one day.

Last edited by FJS; 07-19-2011 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #17
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Funny thing about the rear seats on the 1M, there is no leg room like on the 911's. I have the seat at a good distance frnt to rear and there is no space for a person, maybe a little child and that's difficult, who cares, what a beast of a little car, it's worth it.

It's a personal car to be driven by the owner, like the TT, that is also small in the back, like they are meant to be 2 seaters but cheated with the rear seats. I haven't seen a Cayman but knowing Porsche, same as the 911's.
Cayman=No backseats, 911=backseats are a total joke compared to the 1M.

*IMO the Audi looks slightly better than the 1M, but I still prefer the 1M for various reasons.
      07-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #18
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

Top Gear did a drag race with the 1M Coupe, Cayman R and Lotus Evora S. The BMW one. Even Clarkson likes it, and he generally slams One series cars as being expensive, and slow. His 1M review was positively glowing. Too bad most of us will never get to even test drive one!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #19
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinAlexandria View Post
Even Clarkson likes it, and he generally slams One series cars as being expensive, and slow.
Hmmm - didn't he say (prior to the 1M) that the 135i was his current favourite BMW?
      07-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #20
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clived View Post
Hmmm - didn't he say (prior to the 1M) that the 135i was his current favourite BMW?

this was thoroughly covered in the top gear thread. I think Clarkson disliked BMWs 10 years ago or something, or maybe people just remember the fact that his impression of BMW **OWNERS** is negative. In the other thread examples were given that he has basically raved about nearly all BMWs in the recent 5 years with the sole exception being the X6. Those who feel Clarkson hates BMWs need to re-watch his reviews.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #21
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
this was thoroughly covered in the top gear thread. I think Clarkson disliked BMWs 10 years ago or something, or maybe people just remember the fact that his impression of BMW **OWNERS** is negative. In the other thread examples were given that he has basically raved about nearly all BMWs in the recent 5 years with the sole exception being the X6. Those who feel Clarkson hates BMWs need to re-watch his reviews.
+1

Back when Top Gear was actually about cars (pre 2000) he test drove the E46... I think it was a 328i. He had absolutely nothing but good to say about that car at the time, and every review of a BMW I've seen from him has been talking about the great driving dynamics.

In print he's been a tad more critical of the 1'er than he was about previous Bimmers... but generally he talks about the same things that everyone else here seems to talk about; run flats, suspension encouraging more understeer than he'd like and so on. However, that doesn't mean he dislikes the car... though he doesn't seem to be a fan of the convertible.

And FYI yes I know Top Gear still talks about cars, but let's be honest it's 95% entertainment and only 5% about the actual cars. On the flip side of that though I am at a loss to say how you'd make a show about cars really entertaining; the old Top Gear was pretty dry. If you want a show that gets more of a "car" balance, try Fifth Gear (the competition to Top Gear) which even has an ex Top Gear presenter (Tiff Needell).
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #22
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

The 911 was traditionally produced with rear seats for insurance reasons as well as allowing it to compete in different races.
Appreciate 0